Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5060 5061 [5062] 5063 5064 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516640 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75915 on: May 07, 2015, 06:11:17 pm »

That is one thing I'll agree is completely screwy about the USA.  One of the biggest sources of most of our long-term problems.  And it's not us voters' fault...  It's the voting system which, unlike so many other democracies, doesn't allow coalitions.
Isn't the US system also indirect (unless I messed up the terms)? Where you vote on someone who then votes on the actual candidates?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75916 on: May 07, 2015, 06:15:17 pm »

Yes, but even that they manage to make really weird :P

They vote on someone, who's sole purpose is to then vote for someone else as president. It's an unnecessary middle-man. At least Westminster parliamentary, the middle-man is also an MP, so they have some other purpose too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75917 on: May 07, 2015, 06:15:27 pm »

Unfortunely, the actualy japanese wizardry games (of which only one got released here) had basically no fantasy elements. Good games though.
I thought that they have had basically no sci-fi elements, though? Isn't the Wizardry Online all about stupid fantasy dungeon delving tropes to the maximum?

Not really. Wizardy actualy had a fair bit of sci fi elements ingrained in its plot. At least I'm fairly certain that wizardry 6, 7 and 8 (known as the savant trilogy) had quite a few sci fi elements to it. But yea, like someone else said previously, wizardy is weird in that it makes the fantasy elements more powerful and more obvious then the sci fi ones. You only get to see the sci fi elements later on. Kinda like some might and magic games.

In contrast to this, the japanese wizardry games (which were pure dungeon crawlers) used fantasy elements exclusively, with no sci fi elements at all. Of course, those games have no real connection to the western wizardry games, plot/character wise, sooooo yea.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75918 on: May 07, 2015, 06:20:51 pm »

Yes, but even that they manage to make really weird :P

They vote on someone, who's sole purpose is to then vote for someone else as president. It's an unnecessary middle-man. At least Westminster parliamentary, the middle-man is also an MP, so they have some other purpose too.
According to Wikipedia at least, there have been 157 counts of "faithless electors" voting contrary to their voters.  For *president of the United States*.  Apparently it hasn't changed the final result yet, but still  :o
(Most of those are old cases, though.  It only happened twice this century, once in 2000 and once in 2004)
In some states it's illegal, as in they can get fined afterwards.  In other states: Meh!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75919 on: May 07, 2015, 06:22:00 pm »

I know my IQ now, I guess. I don't think that's supposed to happen.
And now it'll probably get used against me.
It's just a dumb number, anyways.
??? Normally when you get an IQ test you're told the results. Why do you think that's not supposed to happen?

And why would it be used against you?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75920 on: May 07, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »

Fixed that for you.
New Zealand has an MMP system where even the small parties get seats in Parliament if they get 5% of the votes. Coalitions are standard - it's highly unusual to see a single party in government.
And even then, only half of out big parties are actually shit. The other one is only mostly shit.

Saudi Arabia (and a bunch of other Middle-Eastern countries) avoid the problem entirely but having an absolute monarchy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75921 on: May 07, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »

Monarchy is like ultra-shit, though. Especially the Middle-Eastern version. It's just like in that Churchille saying about democracy: "Democracy is shit, but everything before it was OMGWTFSHIT"
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75922 on: May 07, 2015, 06:32:19 pm »

Democracy would be pretty great. Shame capitalism has to wedge itself in the way so much.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75923 on: May 07, 2015, 06:36:26 pm »

That is one thing I'll agree is completely screwy about the USA.  One of the biggest sources of most of our long-term problems.  And it's not us voters' fault...  It's the voting system which, unlike so many other democracies, doesn't allow coalitions.
Isn't the US system also indirect (unless I messed up the terms)? Where you vote on someone who then votes on the actual candidates?
Eeh, only on a technicality. Electors are distributed based on pluralities of the popular vote on a state-by-state basis, and are themselves allotted based on the numbers of MoC elected from each state. For all intents and purposes it's a state-by-state plurality election, in which each state contributes a different percentage of the overall vote in a way which is somewhat directly tied to population (but not perfectly; even the distribution algorithm for seats in the House can't be perfect, and that's not counting the fact that Senators are also included in the electoral points).

On a related note, coalitions have nothing to do with elections. They exist because multi-party systems -- which for practical purposes means parliamentary democracies with some form of PR -- almost never have any parties capable of achieving an absolute 50%+1 majority in their legislatures, which means that no single party can form the government.

Note the case of Great Britain: they use a parliamentary system in which government is formed (and the executive and administrative powers distributed) in the same way as Continental parliamentary democracies despite using a fairly different electoral system, but despite the current status quo they have actually fairly rarely had coalition government, mostly because their party system is effectively bipolar, with the Liberals acting more or less as an unusually large third party.

The U.S. doesn't have coalition government because the chief executive is not the party leader and is not elected from the legislature (in structural terms) and because it has for almost its entire history had a strong bipolar party system. We don't have coalition government because we're a presidential system which inherently negates the whole purpose for coalition government existing.

Note also that I'm specifically referring to government in the European sense here, what we Yanks call an administration.

Coalition government (and PR systems in general) are also talked up rather more than they should be by Americans who don't know any better -- coalition governments, especially in highly fractured party systems like those of Israel and Italy, are prone to collapse; the more groups you try to bring together, the harder it is to please everyone -- which leads to frequent government turnover and thus greater instability and uncertainty. Additionally, parliamentary parties, especially in PR systems, tend to be much more rigid than those in the U.S.; when you hold your position at the pleasure of the party leadership, any hint of stepping out of line can be dangerous.

Look up the rate of MPs voting against their party versus Senators and Reps. in the U.S., it's pretty damned shocking if you're not familiar with it. What that results in is a legislature where any party which is not in power is utterly trivialized and has no influence on anything that happens apart from criticizing it; when the majority party or coalition can ram through everything they want with near-perfect party alignment from their MPs, your minor party's four or five seats are completely symbolic representation, because they're too small to ever form government themselves and not significant enough to be worth bringing in to a coalition except in highly fractured party systems where even the largest parties don't get much more than 10-15% of the seats. The whole concept of "maverick" or "rogue" representatives basically doesn't exist in most European systems because anyone who tries it will be promptly shitcanned and blacklisted by the party leadership.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:38:12 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75924 on: May 07, 2015, 06:56:16 pm »

I know my IQ now, I guess. I don't think that's supposed to happen.
And now it'll probably get used against me.
It's just a dumb number, anyways.
??? Normally when you get an IQ test you're told the results. Why do you think that's not supposed to happen?

And why would it be used against you?
I remember reading somewhere that if a student is tested, they should not be told their score, because it could make them feel too bad/good about themselves?

Used against me as in: "You have [XXX] IQ, you have no excuse!" or "wasted potential" and all that.
IQ tests are stupid anyway. The whole idea that you can represent somebody's intelligence with one number is as wrong as calculating a distance between two points from a 2D map, when reality is 3D.
._.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75925 on: May 07, 2015, 07:11:37 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that if a student is tested, they should not be told their score, because it could make them feel too bad/good about themselves?
I had my IQ tested when I wasn't younger, and I wasn't told what it was until fairly recently, for that exact reason.

I think it's fair enough, for the most part, but I also think that most adults can handle knowing something like that without turning into a narcissistic arsehole, or whatever the opposite of a narcissistic shit is.

IQ tests are stupid anyway. The whole idea that you can represent somebody's intelligence with one number is as wrong as calculating a distance between two points from a 2D map, when reality is 3D.
High IQ is directly correlated with Being Smart™. It's not comprehensive, but it's a reasonably accurate generalisation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75926 on: May 07, 2015, 08:39:50 pm »

More box weirdness. Tons of boxes with the same typo on them. I hope the sma they are going to won't mind.

Also getting in shit over some minor errors on some tattoos. Some are understandable, like when the registration is incorrect, leaving the images cut off or blurry. Others were very minor, such as a small speck of miscolouration.

There was also a rather large pile of bad sheets, and I don't know where they came from. At least four people were there to make sure there were no errors, and yet a massive amount of them somehow got through, and no-one seems to know who printed them.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #75927 on: May 07, 2015, 09:18:18 pm »

For some reason, the Bay12 subforums are working for me fine, but the main page is 504ing.

???
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75928 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:53 pm »

Ordered one-day shipping on a tablet through Amazon.

Delivery is through LaserShip. Never heard of them before, but not too worried. Look up some reviews on Yelp! Worrying intensifies. Tracker says package is on delivery route around 6:15 ETA "8pm or prior" okay 8pm rolls around nothing. 8:30pm rolls around nothing 9pm check the tracker again "delivered location: front door" there is nothing there, start doing some research.

Rated F on BBB, Glassdoor employee reviews speak of !!Fun!! that somehow exists. Guess I'm going to call them tomorrow and figure out what happened to my tablet.

Seriously though. WTF. How is this company solvent.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75929 on: May 07, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »

How does that company even stay in business?

Spoiler: My favorite review (click to show/hide)
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 5060 5061 [5062] 5063 5064 ... 11037