Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5056 5057 [5058] 5059 5060 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517438 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75855 on: May 06, 2015, 11:41:04 pm »

Batman IS a paragon super-good hero and has often been described as the "Goodest most pure hero one can be".
That's Superman.

What makes the 40k universe boring ... 40k makes a great setting ...
And that's a very narrow view on what makes stories and games Good™.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75856 on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:47 pm »

Batman IS a paragon super-good hero and has often been described as the "Goodest most pure hero one can be".
That's Superman.

What makes the 40k universe boring ... 40k makes a great setting ...
And that's a very narrow view on what makes stories and games Good™.

No I wasn't mistaking it... Batman is just that.

Batman is the best we can be... Superman is the best we could be.

As for "stories" well, why don't you tell me your favorite 40k story. :P and it better not be the game's backstory :P

I've actually put a lot of thought into this whole "Does being good mean your boring?" thing and found that... No... people just have very narrow vision that think of goodness as being a blank sheet of paper (Ignoring that one excellent story where the 'good person' was like a blank sheet of paper... and that was the source of conflict. She was good to the point where she lacked a life of any sort).

Evil versus evil can certainly be interesting... but 40k is meant to have eternal stalemates. It is certainly not what I'd use as an example of "Black versus Black can be good".
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:50:02 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75857 on: May 06, 2015, 11:49:59 pm »

"can" and "could" are basically synonymous. I don't really have anything to do with 40k but I hear there's a bunch of fanfics that are fairly decent.

Maybe it's just a thing you don't like, as opposed to being objectively bad?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75858 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:51 pm »

"can" and "could" are basically synonymous. I don't really have anything to do with 40k but I hear there's a bunch of fanfics that are fairly decent.

Batman is the best we can be... right now.

Superman is the best we could be... in the future

That is the difference between them.

Batman's goodness is why you even care about people trying to turn him evil... why you would care about him becoming corrupt.

It is his goodness that actually attracts you to his character. He is pure hero dressed in an anti-heroes clothing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:52:39 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75859 on: May 07, 2015, 12:01:11 am »

I think the issue here is that we're talking about characters who are Good Guys. Substitute in any other good guy and you have an identical statement.

Batman's goodness is why you even care about people trying to turn him evil
Frodo's goodness is why you even care about people trying to turn him evil
Indiana Jones' goodness is why you even care about people trying to turn him evil
Harry Potter's goodness is why you even care about people trying to turn him evil

You're taking the fact that a character is a hero in her given universe and using it as the defining trait of that character.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75860 on: May 07, 2015, 12:03:54 am »

And Orange Wizard... are those characters BORING?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75861 on: May 07, 2015, 12:05:27 am »

* Orange Wizard facepalms.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75862 on: May 07, 2015, 12:06:42 am »

All I am trying to say is that having a good character who does the right thing because it is the right thing to do...

Doesn't make them boring.

Making a boring character makes them boring. The idea of goodness = boringness comes from people who write the shallowest most character devoid pieces of trash.

That and writing a character who is good... can be difficult.

It is certainly a LOT harder then writing a character who is flat out evil for evil sake.

And for those who say "Cartoonishly evil villains are boring" I raise you Maleficent.

---

Yet all of this... Seems to be considered myth...

The idea of a "good person" is childish. The idea that someone good can be interesting is unfathomable.

And thus media reflects this. All heroes are anti-heroes right now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:14:49 am by Neonivek »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #75863 on: May 07, 2015, 12:28:24 am »

And for those who say "Cartoonishly evil villains are boring" I raise you Maleficent.
She was kinda boring though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75864 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:09 am »

She was kinda boring though.

Ok... Joker

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #75865 on: May 07, 2015, 01:58:25 am »

Love, scriver~

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75866 on: May 07, 2015, 03:00:44 am »

So, apparently a california state attorney aide is being accused of being part of a 3000 year masonic cabal or something.

...what
"The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department said in a statement that the Masonic Fraternal Police Department was not a legitimate police force and that Kiel, Henry, and Hayes were arrested for allegedly impersonating police officers. "

...Okay then.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75867 on: May 07, 2015, 04:17:01 am »

So, apparently a california state attorney aide is being accused of being part of a 3000 year masonic cabal or something.

...what
That's one weird story. I don't even know how to beging parsing what is going on.

Well the first issue is the claim that the Knight's Templar date from 1100BC. It was actually around 1100AD. It looks like the site is a joke site, though the news report is real. Overall it's a weird story.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:25:48 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75868 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:40 am »

Just turned a job down. I need work, but I'm not desperate enough to work in a place with policies that shady (and possibly illegal, but I am not a lawyer). When they promise you chances of promotion because "we fire at least 4 people a week" and 90+% of employees don't last a month, you'd have to be insane to work there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #75869 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:52 am »

Just turned a job down. I need work, but I'm not desperate enough to work in a place with policies that shady (and possibly illegal, but I am not a lawyer). When they promise you chances of promotion because "we fire at least 4 people a week" and 90+% of employees don't last a month, you'd have to be insane to work there.

Holy shit, what sort of joint was this that they try and use their turnover rates as a selling point?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 5056 5057 [5058] 5059 5060 ... 11037