Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5028 5029 [5030] 5031 5032 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516997 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75435 on: April 30, 2015, 09:16:03 pm »

How many cuils is Meatwad from ATHF explaining how he was made from the scraps of meat that weren't good enough to make the hamburgers and that "the bun is in your mind"

Speaking of which, is there a word for things like Aqua Teen Hunger Force* and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency** that are technically spinoffs of other things but due various production foul-ups they reach the public before the thing they're spun off from

*(ATHF premiered in 2001, Baffler Meal aired in 2003)
**(Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency hit bookstores in 1987, Shada[/] hit video stores in 1992)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75436 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:52 pm »

Prophecy?

Kinda' like how the Beetles predicated Sonic the Hedgehog by a while, just less prescient.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75437 on: April 30, 2015, 10:25:41 pm »

So I played a bad game... But it was bad in a very specific way

As soon as I played it I was like "it MUST be the people who made this game... Only they would intentionally botch a good premise like this and force comedy"

And I was right >_<

DAMN IT!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75438 on: April 30, 2015, 10:37:50 pm »

... what?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75439 on: April 30, 2015, 10:40:08 pm »

... what?

I played Chroma Ranger or whatever it was.

Then IMMEDIATELY knew it was by the same guys who did "Knights of the d20"

They did it to me again! UGH!

In revenge I should make like... a "This game is so bad" letsplay.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:42:36 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75440 on: April 30, 2015, 10:42:50 pm »

When speaking of game in any situation, please tell name. To not is of the evil. Pay denbts.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75441 on: April 30, 2015, 10:44:07 pm »

Chroma Squad

DO NOT BUY!

Yes I am aware that the more I hate and rant about a game... the more people want to buy it >_<
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:46:36 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #75442 on: April 30, 2015, 11:01:16 pm »

... so what's bad about it?

Hadn' heard of it, but looking at it, it seems to have an interesting premise. Also looks like a shitty flash game, though.

M'guessing by knights of the D20 you mean Knights of Pen and Paper, neo? That actually explains a lot, right there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75443 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:53 pm »

It is just a boring tactical RPG with horrible forced comedy.

Also yes Knights of Pen and Paper

Except you know how at least Knights of Pen and Paper pretended you were the DM? Not in this game, it is as linear as heck!

You play a group of 5 stuntmen who are making your own Super Sentai show after quitting from your old one because you weren't the star. Thus you run your own studio with hope to make a great show! You chose the color of your rangers as well as their names and actor (actors conferring a bonus). You then equip them, start marketing campaigns, and even craft some of your own hear if you have the items (ordinary enemies drop these). Then you go to shoot.

During a shoot you basically fight a tactical fight against ordinary enemies in sequence until you get to the boss (usually a 1 or 2 stage battle with the boss of chapters being a 3 stage fight). Your goal is to get as much viewership as possible so how you fight actually determines how many viewers and fans you will receive. So finishing off a boss monster with ordinary attacks is a great way to piss off your viewer base. So you want to weaken the boss and then finish it off when the opportunity arises.

You are also given goals from the director (that is right... you are not the director) that are extra challenges you must do for viewership. These go from easy to difficult but in the end you will find that doing these goals is pretty much the only source of challenge in the game. Now fights are given to you when you select shoot and you have to chose one (don't worry you eventually do all of them)

Now where the game's biggest failing is, is definitely its comedy. Basically you play as the "actors" but not the "characters" involved. The issue is that the comedy is rather forced so at no point do these actors even pretend they are making a show. Thus one of the big jokes of an episode is that because their costumes are at the cleaners none of the actors can transform (which is reflected in the gameplay, you can't turn into the Chroma Rangers). This should have been hilarious but the issue is at no point do the actors ever pretend this is anything but an out of character Larp. They don't make in character excuses or anything like that. The comedy in this game has absolutely no grounding because of this.

The jokes come in another flavor "Obnoxious" in that if they have a good joke... They will say the same joke over and over again to ensure it is never funny again.

It is also a shame because SOMETIMES you can gleam little tidbits of what the show's story is supposed to be but it is far in the background. You also never have control over this plotline making you feel even less like you are running this studio.

The other aspect of the comedy that hurts is that the game is a farce. Every enemy needs to be a joke, every item needs to be hilarious... But that just normalizes the comedy very quickly. Nothing seems out of place "Ohh, this enemy is a Ninja Turtle... Ok... But that enemy is a Squirrel and that enemy is Falco from Starfox". Even Disgaea which crams as much jokes in it as possible KNOWS when it needs to play a scene seriously and most of the items that had great jokes (Bastard Sword for example) had normal names.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:29:02 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75444 on: April 30, 2015, 11:28:54 pm »

...I liked Knights Of Pen and Paper. :c
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75445 on: April 30, 2015, 11:30:12 pm »

...I liked Knights Of Pen and Paper. :c

Your welcome to it by all means.

I found Knights of Pen and Paper to be incredibly tedious and the comedic elements to be so lame and overly saturated that I just stopped caring more then halfway through the game... but most of all the important part of the game "Dungeon Master Simulation" to be tawdry.

In fact if you liked Knights Of Pen and Paper you will definitely like Chroma Squad. It removes all those pesky features that got in the way like "Building your team" and instead does it for you (Yeah the Rangers and their roles are selected for you)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:31:49 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75446 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:53 pm »

...That sounds smegging awful, though.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #75447 on: April 30, 2015, 11:54:24 pm »

This paper on Finnish negatives is set to end up being 15-20 pages by the time all is said in done. However, thanks to new anxiety medication and a multivitamin taken every morning (started on Tuesday), I can actually knock it out in two nights! Hurrah!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75448 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:15 am »

holy conception
my wtf for this day is this
._.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #75449 on: May 01, 2015, 01:38:47 am »

Out of curiousity Neo how into Toku are you? I've been reading people talk about Chroma Squad on /m/ where they're huge toku fantatics for the past couple days and haven't seen many complaints so far. They actually seemed pretty happy/impressed with the amount of references and in-jokes in it to be honest. There's been a few but they're mostly about not being able to get the kickstarter backers version. Admittedly a lot of it was eclipsed by discussion about the jabs thrown at Saban for forcing them to put credits to him and Power Rangers on the opening page and pay royalties even though it's clearly directly Sentai themed (apparently the devs grew up wih the version that was exported to South America by Toei back in the 80s-90s)

Though from what I've seen the majority of the jokes do seem really lame. I can see how that can get boring after a while.

On a random note that does remind me of an interesting phenomenon that I heard of where Super Sentai is considered to be at its best when its sillier while Power Rangers is considered to be at its best when its being more serious.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:05:27 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 5028 5029 [5030] 5031 5032 ... 11037