Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5023 5024 [5025] 5026 5027 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14517425 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75360 on: April 29, 2015, 02:21:32 pm »

http://thehill.com/regulation/240163-religious-leaders-want-justices-restrained-from-ruling-on-same-sex-marriage

Can you imagine if they did that on interracial marriage, or any other issue for that matter? One side just saying the other just literally CAN'T even have a chance of winning or even presenting their case at all? Just imagine a corporation paying to pass a law saying nobody could ever sue them because no judge ever had jurisdiction no matter what.

Ouch.
Quote from: Too many people
People have different opinions than we do! Let's stop them from getting a fair hearing, because we think we have authority over them, for some reason!

Everyone should definitely get a fair hearing for their opinions. Yes, even these fundies. Let's hear them: the judges are allegedly favoring the cause of the gay rights agenda. I disagree: treating people equally is the complete opposite of favoring a political cause. The argument is simply wrong, and they should come up with a new, more sensible one, or concede. Such a fair hearing and open debate should be a human right (if it isn't already, I don't know), not merely a gay right.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75361 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »

Might have been some order of Catholic knights. IIRC that's where the Klan got the idea for their pointy-headed Halloween costumes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #75362 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »

...why don't they just set up a Moodle page? Even 21 megs is within sane upload levels, and 5 very much so. 134 pages is well outside sane printing ranges.
That's AQA for you.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75363 on: April 29, 2015, 02:30:09 pm »

http://thehill.com/regulation/240163-religious-leaders-want-justices-restrained-from-ruling-on-same-sex-marriage

Can you imagine if they did that on interracial marriage, or any other issue for that matter? One side just saying the other just literally CAN'T even have a chance of winning or even presenting their case at all? Just imagine a corporation paying to pass a law saying nobody could ever sue them because no judge ever had jurisdiction no matter what.

Ouch.
Quote from: Too many people
People have different opinions than we do! Let's stop them from getting a fair hearing, because we think we have authority over them, for some reason!

Everyone should definitely get a fair hearing for their opinions. Yes, even these fundies. Let's hear them: the judges are allegedly favoring the cause of the gay rights agenda. I disagree: treating people equally is the complete opposite of favoring a political cause. The argument is simply wrong, and they should come up with a new, more sensible one, or concede. Such a fair hearing and open debate should be a human right (if it isn't already, I don't know), not merely a gay right.

Put more charitably, the argument is that, as a few of the judges have officiated at gay weddings, they've already prejudged the case and will vote to strike down marriage bans no matter what arguments are presented, what the legal analysis is, or what evidence is presented. Which is actually a very solid reason to demand that a judge sits out - prejudged cases are by far the most dangerous threat to a society based on the concept that the law applies to everyone, even if the initial effect is a positive one. Fortunately, in this case the argument is bunk - there's a major difference between performing or participating an activity where it is legal and deciding in advance that you will make it legal everywhere else.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #75364 on: April 29, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »

On the same sex marriage thing:
The fundies (IE north american protestants) legal argument on the matter isn't entirely quack though. A judge can be restrained from ruling on a case they have demonstrated previous a bias on, in favor or in disfavor of either party (as long as there is some proof of it) or at least they can in most democratic states.

Of course, wether or not said judges have actualy displaced a bias in relation to gay marriage is a question that is pretty much in the air and has no clear answer.

EDIT: Ninja'd TL;DR: They may be fundies, but they got valid legal argument for it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #75365 on: April 29, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »

Yes. Equal, objective treatment should apply to both sides of the issue. It is acceptable to forbid a possibly biased judge, based on past evidence, from judging a case, as long as they're replaced by a fair one. To forbid every single judge from judging a case on the off-chance that they might be biased, however, is not. Note the slippery slope. Justice needs an impartial judge or jury; can that even be properly argued against?

Edit: I realize the explantation of the validity of the legal claim was conspicuously absent from the news article. It, along with my prejudices, painted me a picture of them being the usual ignorant windbags who have never heard of valid logic, which apparently is at least somewhat false an image. Elisive manipulation by the media or just innocent leaving out unimportant matters? Food for thought.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:00:23 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75366 on: April 29, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »

While I respect the desire to avoid biased judges, and certainly understand the importance of avoiding conflicts of interest, it's pretty much bunk here. At this point, the argument would have us keep all married justices out because they have a stake in the definition of marriage, or something. What I expect justices at the level of the Supreme Court to do is separate the opinions they must inevitably have on the matter as a matter of cultural osmosis from the legal arguments at hand. Even Scalia manages to do that as often as not, and he's one of the most activist judges whose opinions I've had the misfortune of reading, right up there with Rehnquist.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75367 on: April 29, 2015, 03:32:29 pm »

While I respect the desire to avoid biased judges, and certainly understand the importance of avoiding conflicts of interest, it's pretty much bunk here. At this point, the argument would have us keep all married justices out because they have a stake in the definition of marriage, or something. What I expect justices at the level of the Supreme Court to do is separate the opinions they must inevitably have on the matter as a matter of cultural osmosis from the legal arguments at hand. Even Scalia manages to do that as often as not, and he's one of the most activist judges whose opinions I've had the misfortune of reading, right up there with Rehnquist.

I fully agree here, but I did want to make sure that the entire story was being represented and not just a one-sided claim.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75368 on: April 29, 2015, 03:39:18 pm »

I appreciate that. Thank you for doing it!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #75369 on: April 29, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »

One side just saying the other just literally CAN'T even have a chance of winning or even presenting their case at all? Just imagine a corporation paying to pass a law saying nobody could ever sue them because no judge ever had jurisdiction no matter what.

You mean the Trans-Pacific Partnership?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75370 on: April 29, 2015, 03:53:17 pm »

Presidential Candidate Kook is back! This time he wants to push for nuclear weapons for Polish Army.

This presidential campaign is doubly hilarious - or I'm noticing it more this time - but dear god how much these people fail at acting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:55:13 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #75371 on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:26 pm »

Presidential Candidate Kook is back! This time he wants to push for nuclear weapons for Polish Army.

This presidential campaign is doubly hilarious - or I'm noticing it more this time - but dear god how much these people fail at acting.

Perhaps he and Ted Cruz will usher in a brave new era of US-Polish relations.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75372 on: April 29, 2015, 04:29:06 pm »

Presidential Candidate Kook is back!

Which one? :P
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #75373 on: April 29, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »

One side just saying the other just literally CAN'T even have a chance of winning or even presenting their case at all? Just imagine a corporation paying to pass a law saying nobody could ever sue them because no judge ever had jurisdiction no matter what.
You mean the Trans-Pacific Partnership?
The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement might as well be renamed the AnCap Agreement.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #75374 on: April 29, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 5023 5024 [5025] 5026 5027 ... 11037