Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5016 5017 [5018] 5019 5020 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516611 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75255 on: April 28, 2015, 05:14:40 pm »

Heh. Honestly, on the personal level, I just don't ever hear atheists speak up. Mostly because they, very rightly -- because the christians around here very literally will kick the shit out of non-believers if they think they can get away with it (and they very much can and have) -- fear their physical health (or job prospects, or etc.) if they do. So I only really get the bugnut crazy religious folks talking about religion outside of very rare occasions. Seen a little edging towards it in some of my philosophy classes, but I don't think I've ever actually met one of those stereotypical hardline atheists in person. At least not a vocal one.

I will say it was kinda' incredible the undercurrent of fear in folks voices when they talked down someone from out of the area that was starting to edge towards talking loudly regarding atheist belief in a public space, though. Thinking back, there's some chills, there.

Some of the nicest, most reasonable folks I've talked with in person were radical theists of one sort or another, though. Again, mostly because the non-theists run the fuck away from this region ASAP, and stay as quiet as possible otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:16:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75256 on: April 28, 2015, 05:18:37 pm »

Yep, it's much the same where I am right now. Never mind atheism, if you're anything not-Protestant you don't say a word about what you do or don't believe, though that's somewhat more lax for the Catholics.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75257 on: April 28, 2015, 05:26:09 pm »

Well, I got my weed eater out and I attempted to start its little engine thing up so I could weed eat, I pull on its pull thing a few times and..the handle part separates from the engine thing. Amazing, and the crappy one that I also have? no fuel, and the thing that holds the fuel? I have no idea how to use it. Glorious.

That sounds like a good thing, now you don't have to cut them weeds.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75258 on: April 28, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »

I generally find myself agreeing with the Christians, Jews, etc. Any other atheists ever feel like this happens?

Being agnostic, I generally find both groups have their loud and obnoxious members. But generally speaking, yeah, lately atheists are the loud obnoxious ones and deists are the calm, self-assured ones, which makes them easier to agree with even if you don't embrace their beliefs. They're honestly not any more willing to consider the other side's point of view, but they just tend to be crazy about it.

That is kind of the thing. The vast majority of Atheists (and there is a large number of them) don't care. They don't care about religious matters and they don't care that they are atheist. They don't generally speak up because not only do they often don't have anything to say, after all they don't care, but they also aren't against the idea of religion.

So that means that the only Atheists who speak up about religion are the ones who aren't JUST unaffiliated but are ones who care that they are atheist and care about religious matters.

Though the same could be said about the Religious too. Most of them while they care about attacks on their religion, don't really care all that much outside it.

So then you get not only religious nuts but also the big damn Bible belt of horror!

I need to make less "Special" friends who live in the damnable Bible Belt.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:30:44 pm by Neonivek »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #75259 on: April 28, 2015, 05:28:59 pm »

Teacher's phone going off during the ACT
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75260 on: April 28, 2015, 05:34:10 pm »

Yep, it's much the same where I am right now. Never mind atheism, if you're anything not-Protestant you don't say a word about what you do or don't believe, though that's somewhat more lax for the Catholics.

That's how my home town is. Despite fairly large Catholic and irreligious minorities, anyone who isn't an Evangelical Protestant will inevitably have someone else in the room say something ignorant about worshiping Mary, pedophiles, terrorist religions, or other such silliness if they should bring it up.

Teacher's phone going off during the ACT

Did they get kicked out  :P
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #75261 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:07 pm »

I wonder what the Bible Belt thinks about Orthodoxy, since it appears I might switch from agnostic crypto-Anglicanism to agnostic crypto-Orthodoxy next year...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #75262 on: April 28, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »

I have the opposite problem. 23 Mb instead of 100 :/

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75263 on: April 28, 2015, 05:58:27 pm »

I wonder what the Bible Belt thinks about Orthodoxy, since it appears I might switch from agnostic crypto-Anglicanism to agnostic crypto-Orthodoxy next year...
Huh, I always thought you were Catholic...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #75264 on: April 28, 2015, 06:07:13 pm »

Still thinks Nihilism counts as a valid religious belief.

*is shot*
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #75265 on: April 28, 2015, 06:09:59 pm »

You are all heretics. We all know Royalism is the One True Faith.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #75266 on: April 28, 2015, 06:11:12 pm »

I don't see any point in worshiping anything other than mother Gaia.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75267 on: April 28, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »

I don't see any point in worshiping anything other than mother Gaia.
I don't see the point in worshipping at all in a lot of these religion things where it isn't needed by the worshipped. Unless it's a flagrant excuse to indulge in feelings.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #75268 on: April 28, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »

Yeah, I've personally considered the most distasteful aspects of religion the 'worship' part. Worshiping is an outdated concept.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75269 on: April 28, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »

Unless it's a flagrant excuse to indulge in feelings.
:D

Feelings're nice.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 5016 5017 [5018] 5019 5020 ... 11037