Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5015 5016 [5017] 5018 5019 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516648 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75240 on: April 28, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:52:18 pm by penguinofhonor »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #75241 on: April 28, 2015, 01:35:48 pm »

And then post it on the appropriate part of Reddit in order to balance the comments out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #75242 on: April 28, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:52:23 pm by penguinofhonor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75243 on: April 28, 2015, 01:40:11 pm »

Oh it's pretty unambiguously prejudiced. The text was written shortly after 9/11 and is mostly composed of passages like these:

There is something in the religious culture of Islam which inspired, in even the humblest peasant or peddler, a dignity and a courtesy toward others never exceeded and rarely equaled in other civilizations, And yet, in moments of upheaval and disruption, when the deeper passions are stirred, this dignity and courtesy toward others can give way to an explosive mixture of rage and hatred which impels even the government of an ancient and civilized country--even the spokesmen of a spiritual and ethical religion to espouse kidnapping and assassination, and try to find, in the life of their prophet, approval and indeed precedent for such actions.

It should now be clear that we are facing a mood and a movement far transcending the level of issues and policies and the governments that pursue them. This is no less than a clash of civilizations--the perhaps irrational but historic reaction of an ancient rival against our Judeo-Christian heritage, secular present, and the worldwide expansion of both. It is crucially important that we on our side should not be provoked into an equally irrational reaction against that rival.

The problem is that it's so unambiguously prejudiced that I can't make the kind of balanced argument that the professor clearly expects without delving into jet fuel vis-à-vis steel beams tier nonsense.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #75244 on: April 28, 2015, 01:43:33 pm »

On a related note: I heard someone unironically use the term 'Muslamic' today. Sometimes, I really want to ditch the whole business of helping people and explaining things and clearing up misunderstandings in favour of just hitting my desk with my head. Like when I'm in a room full of people talking about Islam and I'd put money on no-one except me having any idea of anything about it beyond the stereotypes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75245 on: April 28, 2015, 01:54:42 pm »

It's so annoying when people may not be intelligent or knowledgeable or clear enough on the issues to contribute to a debate, but are intelligent enough to use the "shutting up and letting other people talk" skill, just don't. One can really see the benfits of an egotistical fear of being orrected sometimes. Less people saying whatever comes into their heads would result in the world getting a lot quieter for a bit while knowledge sort of spread about, then volume returning, just at a more pointful level.
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75246 on: April 28, 2015, 01:57:40 pm »

It's so annoying when people may not be intelligent or knowledgeable or clear enough on the issues to contribute to a debate, but are intelligent enough to use the "shutting up and letting other people talk" skill, just don't. One can really see the benfits of an egotistical fear of being orrected sometimes. Less people saying whatever comes into their heads would result in the world getting a lot quieter for a bit while knowledge sort of spread about, then volume returning, just at a more pointful level.

As someone who always voices their opinion even when it isn't well formed I can say the reason why is...

You have to test your opinion.

What? You think people are going to hand the answer on you on a silver plate? You scared people will think your stupid? Psh!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #75247 on: April 28, 2015, 02:00:39 pm »

I'm okay with people voicing an opinion. I'm less okay with them going on about how Islam is this and that, despite corrections.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75248 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:21 pm »

As someone who always voices their opinion even when it isn't well formed I can say the reason why is...

You have to test your opinion.

What? You think people are going to hand the answer on you on a silver plate? You scared people will think your stupid? Psh!

Definitely true, sorry to get a bit rant-y there. I love it when people say stuff like, "I thought/think...." or use some kind of modifier before they say something, because to me that really differentiates between an argument and a discussion.

Mostly annoyed at my unexmained RE class: oddly, the most agressive, least thoughtful (both senses), loudest, stubbornest speakers are the atheists. I generally find myself agreeing with the Christians, Jews, etc. Any other atheists ever feel like this happens?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #75249 on: April 28, 2015, 02:13:28 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:52:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75250 on: April 28, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »

Nah, I tend to keep interaction with arguments on subjective stuff to a minimum. The less possible it is to be actually right the less productive it is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75251 on: April 28, 2015, 03:21:48 pm »

A mathematican, I assume? :D

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75252 on: April 28, 2015, 04:49:26 pm »

In a bitter twist of irony, the motivations that drive the most vocal atheists are precisely those that drive the most vocal religious zealots: "I'm right, why doesn't everybody see that?" There's a big slice of humanity that doesn't feel comfortable about their beliefs unless they're being reassured, whether by Winning in an argument or by mutual congratulations from like-minded thinkers. And it spills over into their other interactions with people. Given that I'm going out of my way to make this post, I'm probably one of 'em. Trust me, though, it's nothing special about atheism; or if it is, it's that it's in a cultural context where the default is religious, so that in order to be an atheist you have to be willing to stand out as part of your identity, so there's some self-selection for people who are happy to fight about their ideas in general. That, and in a lot of places, there's a fair bit of prejudice against you that makes that sort of lashing out a defense mechanism.

Not sure if an atheist, though. We've had big fights on these boards in ages past about whether or not agnosticism falls under that. Although, what I believe gets increasingly difficult to explain, of late, the more it becomes internalized and interpreted in terms of my own particular experience. Generally happy to see people do what the fuck ever, though. I'm happier faced with mysteries than not.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #75253 on: April 28, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »

I generally find myself agreeing with the Christians, Jews, etc. Any other atheists ever feel like this happens?

Being agnostic, I generally find both groups have their loud and obnoxious members. But generally speaking, yeah, lately atheists are the loud obnoxious ones and deists are the calm, self-assured ones, which makes them easier to agree with even if you don't embrace their beliefs. They're honestly not any more willing to consider the other side's point of view, but they just tend to be crazy about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #75254 on: April 28, 2015, 05:06:08 pm »

Well, I got my weed eater out and I attempted to start its little engine thing up so I could weed eat, I pull on its pull thing a few times and..the handle part separates from the engine thing. Amazing, and the crappy one that I also have? no fuel, and the thing that holds the fuel? I have no idea how to use it. Glorious.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 5015 5016 [5017] 5018 5019 ... 11037