Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4988 4989 [4990] 4991 4992 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14510339 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74835 on: April 23, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »

Lets not go full fedora here guys. The "only old games were good" argument is hilarious and everyone who spent their early life playing games know that.

Also, if you think the tf2 hats market is ridiculous, you haven't seen how absurdly ridiculous valve's CS:GO weapon skins market is. There are  legit betting sites for betting CS:GO skins in which bets frequently go into the thousands. Valve is almost literally printing money by now.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74836 on: April 23, 2015, 04:16:03 pm »

Waitwaitwait. There were people in this discussion who weren't being facetious?

Excuse me, I need to find something to drink. /r/lewronggeneration is thataways, he said with a barking laugh, gesturing over his shoulder towards a trash-filled ravine.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #74837 on: April 23, 2015, 04:16:47 pm »

All this talking about old games makes me feel... old.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74838 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:03 pm »

While I agree that's subjective, that's also generalizing massively. You know what game is modern? Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons.

Communities in games vary from game to game. Some are absolutely TOXIC, I'll admit, but others are honestly fairly welcoming.

Im not sure I'd even consider Brothers a modern game. Sure, it was made in modern times, but it has much in common with older RPGs akin to the original Fable.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #74839 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:54 pm »

The only problem with that is then you can't play with fri-

Oh.

hahahahahahahaha
Do you know how many people still play Warcraft 3 and UT 99?

Wait, are you saying people still play Warcraft 3 online consistently enough to find a match!?

It's a good thing I compulsively save the cases of games with CD keys. If only I didn't have exams coming up so soon...

There's a third-party program called GameRanger that helps with matchmaking older games.  At this time, there's 150+ W3 games going on there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74840 on: April 23, 2015, 04:18:02 pm »

All this talking about old games makes me feel... old.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

oh god. that made me lol.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #74841 on: April 23, 2015, 04:19:35 pm »

I'm not sure I'd even consider Brothers a modern game. Sure, it was made in modern times, but it has much in common with older RPGs akin to the original Fable.
That's like saying you don't consider a new building modern because they built it like an old one.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74842 on: April 23, 2015, 04:22:37 pm »

this smells like /r/lewronggeneration

shall i get the dawkins memes?
Beat me to it.

I try to maintain faith in the gaming industry precisely because of things like Skyrim which are genuinely good, which is why this move is a giant slap in the face.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74843 on: April 23, 2015, 04:23:26 pm »

I'm not sure I'd even consider Brothers a modern game. Sure, it was made in modern times, but it has much in common with older RPGs akin to the original Fable.
That's like saying you don't consider a new building modern because they built it like an old one.

but a new building has functionality like a new building even if it's built in the classical style. Everything inside is new. Granted, the same is true for Brothers, but we don't get to go in the code for Brothers where we do get to go inside the building. Essentially, if the gameplay is the same, that would be the same as saying the interior of the building is the same as X # of years ago interior. Which it probably IS NOT.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74844 on: April 23, 2015, 04:23:41 pm »

Subpar in terms of graphical quality, eh?
I dunno what games you've been watching, then, because it seems all most AAA games care about is looking as good as possible, although there are exceptions.
They look good in a sense that they're nearly photorealistic. They don't look good in a sense of evoking emotions, or being able to distinguish between things at a glance. Also, due to how many games nowadays use the same graphical engine, modern games end up looking much more similar to each other than they should be.

For a best example of that, compare the graphics of Age of Wonders 1 with those of Age of Wonders 3. The first is something really unique, the second can be mistaken for a mod of Civilization V.

inb4 Sergarr's knowledge of "modern games" (because that's a real distinction that exists) is from facecam-scream type LPers on YT.
Never watched those ones and never understood the purpose of facecam.

-snip-
Your generalization is about as accurate as "all Russians are vodka-guzzling Communists" or "all Americans are gun-toting rednecks". Try watching YouTube of good games once in a while.
"I can't find good modern games!"
"Then FIND GOOD MODERN GAMES!"

??!?!?!?
But you see, I don't want simply "Good modern games", I want "Better modern games", in which case "better" is "better than the best of what was already made". And this is fucking difficult due to how slow and even backwards the gameplay progress has been in recent years.

One.
'Modern' is far too fuckin' wide and varied, man.
Two.
You've played every game ever?
Three.
DF is a modern game.

also you're KINDA being pretentious
Somebody has got to be pretentious, because otherwise all we get is a hugbox of unchallenged opinions which has caused the stagnation of evolution of gameplay that has caused my rant at the present time.

The only problem with that is then you can't play with fri-

Oh.

hahahahahahahaha
Do you know how many people still play Warcraft 3 and UT 99?

Wait, are you saying people still play Warcraft 3 online consistently enough to find a match!?

It's a good thing I compulsively save the cases of games with CD keys. If only I didn't have exams coming up so soon...
Yes, they do. There are even a lot of separate communities of players, if you can believe that! There are thousands and thousands of people that still play Warcraft 3 to this day, because it's legitimately the best game of its type (real-time RTS/RPG with incredibly powerful custom mapmaking).

Lets not go full fedora here guys. The "only old games were good" argument is hilarious and everyone who spent their early life playing games know that.
Quite a lot of old games were trash, yes. But among lots of trash, there were good games. The modern games have failed to be better than those good games of the past, and in many cases they are drastically worse, despite the much bigger budgets, much better avaibility of programming instruments and much better social connectivity of modern world that allows for people from separate places to work together. Somehow, all these things have failed to produce something better than the old classics, despite many, many years to learn what made them good.

The game-makers has failed to learn from mistakes of the past, and continue to do so repeatedly, which is the reason why I've called modern games "trash".
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74845 on: April 23, 2015, 04:24:05 pm »

Im not sure I'd even consider Brothers a modern game. Sure, it was made in modern times, but it has much in common with older RPGs akin to the original Fable.
And so we come to the crux of the issue. You are making "modern" synonymous with "things I like".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74846 on: April 23, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:41:10 pm by penguinofhonor »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74847 on: April 23, 2015, 04:27:12 pm »

There are interesting games comming out nearly everyday. Its just consoles that suffered mostly during modern times. If you compare the variety of games that was availiable to the PSX and even PS2 in comparison to PS3, there's a definite gap in developer creativity and variety in different genres, but even so there's good stuff here and there, even with exclusives and so, like dragon's dogma, souls series, etc.

FAKEDIT: jeez people, 4 posts while I wrote just 3 lines of text?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74848 on: April 23, 2015, 04:31:48 pm »

There's also nostalgia goggles. Like flash games like Alien Hominid demo flash was really fun and hard-as-nails back when I was younger. Now that I came back to it, I just steamrolled it. I haven't played the commercial version, though.

That's also why I don't play Divine Divinity anymore as well, since I just know it's goi to be grindy and shitty and not as fun as it was when I was younger.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74849 on: April 23, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

And so we come to the crux of the issue. You are making "modern" synonymous with "things I like".

Not at all! I consider the 'modern period' to be beginning around 2006 for video games. No there are modern games I do and don' like, and the same goes for older games as well. (an example being I hate COD 6, but love Bad Company 2, love Fable, but dislike KOTOR 2)
Pages: 1 ... 4988 4989 [4990] 4991 4992 ... 11037