Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4986 4987 [4988] 4989 4990 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14508006 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74805 on: April 23, 2015, 02:24:13 pm »

On a third hand, Steam is a giant pile of steaming dung that allows people to sell games that took two hours to make, so why is any surprised?

...Which makes it no different from every other game retailer around. Wal-Mart has entire shelves dedicated to shovelware.

Anyway, actual link to the news.

I'm, uh, kinda, well, hmm. People won't usually pay for mods unless you're playing a flight simulator or something similar, and they won't usually pay for that unless it's very detailed or in-depth. I mean, yeah, Gula is making really good money from Patreon making models for Cities: Skylines, but that's optional, and you have to go out of your way for that. People, in general, will not pay for mods when there's a free alternative.

I kinda want to set up a patreon, but I feel like nothing I do actually deserves money, so I'd feel bad that people were paying me for that crap, so whatever.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #74806 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:56 pm »

...Which makes it no different from every other game retailer around. Wal-Mart has entire shelves dedicated to shovelware.
I don't know when you last went to Wal-Mart, but I haven't seen shovelware since my local non-chain game store shut down.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #74807 on: April 23, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »

Yes, let's monetize this thing that people used to do for the love of the game and fandom. Because if you're not making money these days, fuck you. If you can open a file to edit it, you're a developer and deserve to be paid.

I'll just continue to not use the Steam workshop. Their continued "man in the middle making money" routines are starting to get on my nerves though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74808 on: April 23, 2015, 02:59:14 pm »

It has a 75% royalty cuts. Basically, people only get 25% of it.

I think its safe to say that only idiots will use it. I am hopeful.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74809 on: April 23, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »

I don't know when you last went to Wal-Mart, but I haven't seen shovelware since my local non-chain game store shut down.

What, "57 puzzle games!" or whatever they have doesn't count?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74810 on: April 23, 2015, 03:07:13 pm »

What, "57 puzzle games!" or whatever they have doesn't count?
I didn't think that Professor Layton was shovelware...
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74811 on: April 23, 2015, 03:08:17 pm »

Yeah, fuck those guys, letting you make some money out of what you make.

You're not exactly being forced to make purchases there. And it's not removing the workshop for free mods either.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74812 on: April 23, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »

It has a 75% royalty cuts. Basically, people only get 25% of it.

I think its safe to say that only idiots will use it. I am hopeful.
And interestingly enough, now Bethesda very likely stops having the ability to stop people monetizing mods for Skyrim outside venues they control, since they were the ones to create the precedent themselves.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #74813 on: April 23, 2015, 03:11:21 pm »

I know that it is a bit early since my last post in this thread about social media stupid. But this is just out there
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
relevant
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74814 on: April 23, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »

You're not exactly being forced to make purchases there. And it's not removing the workshop for free mods either.
But it will lead to the loss of free stuff as it gets gradually gated off by moneygrubbers.

Let's hope this cancer doesn't metastasize.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74815 on: April 23, 2015, 03:42:22 pm »

But it will lead to the loss of free stuff as it gets gradually gated off by moneygrubbers.

It most certainly will, and that's making me go WTF right now.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #74816 on: April 23, 2015, 03:44:30 pm »

There's lots of mods that are absolutely worth money because of the work that has gone into them.

That doesn't describe 90% of mods in my book.

And really my issue is with Valve. They're trying to create so many revenue streams in Steam, at some point, I have to ask, when is enough enough for these guys?

I've never used the Steam workshop. Tried to once for Skyrim and saw how big of a clusterfuck that became. This just guarantees I'm not going to bother going through it. I won't spend time sorting free/not free content in a realm where shit just used to be free.

And really, my problem is with trying to change the culture of modding. It was a thing done out of love and fandom and tinkering. Valve would like to see it done for the love of money now, too. And that's one fan-driven thing I don't think they needed to stick their thumbs in by making yet another goddamn market out of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74817 on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:22 pm »

It most certainly will, and that's making me go WTF right now.
More reasons not to play modern games! I haven't played a modern game since forever, and thus far it shows to be a good plan, since modern games are both costly as fuck and of trash quality.
._.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74818 on: April 23, 2015, 03:48:24 pm »

The only problem with that is then you can't play with fri-

Oh.

hahahahahahahaha
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74819 on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:42 pm »

modern games are both costly as fuck and of trash quality.
This generalization... there are so many problems with this one statement.
Pages: 1 ... 4986 4987 [4988] 4989 4990 ... 11037