Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4958 4959 [4960] 4961 4962 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14507680 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74385 on: April 17, 2015, 10:33:04 pm »

I guess an onion-gun would be more efficient, but it lacks the satisfying "thunk".
To be fair, potato cannons and whatnot (which is likely what you'd use for an onion gun) quite possibly are legal in your area. I don't think they actually count as guns. Kinda' like siege weaponry falls under different laws. Is places you can't own rifle but can build and operate trebuchet. Mostly because no one actually does it and so there just aren't laws against it :V
To be fair, it would be pretty hard to for a lone gunman to shoot up a place with a trebuchet. You could probably get one shot in, and the police could be there by the time you finish loading the second shot. Or people could just move out of the area you're aiming at. Said people might even be able to just run up to you and beat your with their shoes.

And that's not even getting into the difficulty of building and/or deploying the thing with any sort of discrepancy.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74386 on: April 17, 2015, 10:36:04 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:24:38 am by penguinofhonor »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #74387 on: April 18, 2015, 12:27:57 am »

Or, you know, reads a ballistics manual, builds a trebuchet in his garage and loads it onto a truck, and flings a giant molotov cocktail at former place of employment from a nearby park before disappearing forever.

Just because you can't take it into the lobby and kill people directly, doesnt mean you can't use it to kill as many or more from a nice cozy distance.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74388 on: April 18, 2015, 12:28:54 am »

No rage thread, so it goes here. RIP New Battlefront, we didn't even know ye.

>expecting real gameplay to look good 7 months before release

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74389 on: April 18, 2015, 12:43:03 am »

I found out what my issues with Blender and texture painting were: you have to manually save textures within the image editor. Edited images aren't automatically saved when you save changes to the file.

Just

why

what is the design reason for that?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #74390 on: April 18, 2015, 12:56:36 am »

It's been a while since I've tried using Blender, but I think every answer to a question of this sort is "to fuck with people".
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #74391 on: April 18, 2015, 01:46:30 am »

Or, you know, reads a ballistics manual, builds a trebuchet in his garage and loads it onto a truck, and flings a giant molotov cocktail at former place of employment from a nearby park before disappearing forever.

Just because you can't take it into the lobby and kill people directly, doesnt mean you can't use it to kill as many or more from a nice cozy distance.

Implying most people could hit a target via trebuchet without firing comparison shots first.  Or that that plan would somehow be stealthier than planting a homemade bomb.

Like you know how to make molotov cocktails, trebuchets are not going to increase your killing power in this day and age.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74392 on: April 18, 2015, 02:10:25 am »

I found out what my issues with Blender and texture painting were: you have to manually save textures within the image editor. Edited images aren't automatically saved when you save changes to the file.

Just

why

what is the design reason for that?

Presumably the people who created the program are probably good at computer programming but not good at anything else (like putting together interfaces)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #74393 on: April 18, 2015, 03:11:06 am »

>7 months 'til release
>holy shit they better hurry and build the game already
>oh wait it's a AAA game with a dev team of code monkey slaves and huge companies keeping them payed
>nevermind, they probably got this
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74394 on: April 18, 2015, 03:13:40 am »

>7 months 'til release
>holy shit they better hurry and build the game already
>oh wait it's a AAA game with a dev team of code monkey slaves and huge companies keeping them payed
>nevermind, they probably got this
So the game is going to be nearly unplayable upon release with thousands of bugs which any decent playtesting would've revealed, forcing the company to release dozens of patches that still won't fix all of them in the end?
._.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #74395 on: April 18, 2015, 03:47:23 am »

So the game is going to be nearly unplayable upon release with thousands of bugs which any decent playtesting would've revealed, forcing the company to release dozens of patches that still won't fix all of them in the end?
Well hey, as long as they get tons of pre-orders and sales at the launch day, who cares how playable it is, right? That's what AAA games are for, right? Making money?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74396 on: April 18, 2015, 08:55:48 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:24:43 am by penguinofhonor »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74397 on: April 18, 2015, 09:39:33 am »

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see flawed gameplay than flawed cinematics. The gameplay, even if it is visually shit and full of placeholders, would have given some indication of where they're going. That they used only scripted stuff indicates that they're trying to hide what the gameplay is like; that the scripted stuff still managed to be full of old problems from previous DICE games indicates that they half-assed it.

It's DICE making the game and EA publishing. That they're hiding the gameplay and that the cinematic has issues similar to Battlefield games says to me that it's probably a Battlefield clone (because that's what DICE does, they make Battlefields, and ever since 3 they've been remarkably same-y and boring), that it's EA publishing means that DICE were probably pushed to cut corners and of course there'll be DLC

Also note how you ignored the more outstanding issues that point directly towards DLC spam: limited number of planets, no space battles, no campaign. I was already suspicious of this, but now I'm outright expecting it to be a reskinned Battlefield 4 full of overpriced DLC. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise, and in the meantime I'll content myself with memories of BFII and that one M&B mod.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74398 on: April 18, 2015, 10:25:57 am »

If all we're given is that video, it's not hard to ignore the more outstanding issues, because save for the Youtube comments (reader beware, right?), it doesn't mention the lack of planets, space, or campaign.

That said, the footage from that video falls straight into uncanny valley somehow, maybe it's just how the editor chose to snip the clips. I think the only identifiably "video game" portions of the video were the four or so rebels running around. Anything after that appeared as some ungodly mess of (can you even call it such in a video game?) CGI.

Now, I have no particular fealty to the Battlefront series and don't consume EA's titles, but that was visually disturbing.
http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-battlefront-focusing-on-planetary-battles-instead-of-space-combat/

“Are we going to see space battles?” I asked DICE producer Craig Mcleod. His answer was a bit more politic than “no,” but didn’t leave much room for ambiguity. “We’re focusing on epic planetary battles for this game,” he said.
Mcleod told me that Battlefront’s maps will be set on four planets: Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, and Sullust.

We've known about this for a long while, but some of us were holding out hope that despite that it would still be faithful to the series instead of a Battlefield clone. The trailer pretty much shot any hope of that in the head and looked like shit on top of it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74399 on: April 18, 2015, 10:28:20 am »

But... space battles are boring anyway.
The trailer seemed pretty cool to me. It's a trailer. I'll withhold judgement until the game's out and I see actual footage, same as any videogame release. Jeez.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 4958 4959 [4960] 4961 4962 ... 11037