Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4955 4956 [4957] 4958 4959 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14509148 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #74340 on: April 17, 2015, 01:41:32 pm »

In unrelated news, I saw someone squirrel-fishing on campus as I was walking to work today.
Wat. can you describe it?
Rod and reel, peanuts on string tied to a double hook. The guy was casting out towards packs of squirrels and reeling the line back in along the grass.

Tying a nut to a string, and attempting to lift or fling a squirrel that tries to eat or take the nut.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's amazing. Also utterly hilarious.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74341 on: April 17, 2015, 02:59:49 pm »

I've been calling Dr. Oz a quack for years. It's about time someone else noticed.

In unrelated news, I saw someone squirrel-fishing on campus as I was walking to work today.
Rod and reel, peanuts on string tied to a double hook. The guy was casting out towards packs of squirrels and reeling the line back in along the grass.

Tying a nut to a string, and attempting to lift or fling a squirrel that tries to eat or take the nut.

And a great way to get rabies! Win!

Unrelated to this, last summer I mentioned there was a dead squirrel in the barrels we dump the fry grease. Guess what? It's still there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74342 on: April 17, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »

And a great way to get rabies! Win!

Squirrels don't carry rabies

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:19:13 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #74343 on: April 17, 2015, 04:01:23 pm »

Sometimes I wish the Rage thread were still open...

Because goddamn HP printers make me want to kill something. How such byzantine software fuckery hasn't resulted in their company being firebombed by all users in the world is beyond me.

HP printers are the worst. Do you have he problem where it spontaneously locks up and needs to turned off and unplugged in order to reset it? I've had that on two different HP printers.

Basically, yes. A wifi printer that was installed a day ago stopped working on two computers it was networked to. Computer 1 I fixed the issue by the usual power cycling.

Computer #2 I spent 6 hours trying to get a print job to go out on it correctly. Windows saw it, the network saw it and yet every print job queued displayed a different behavior. Sometimes, it would print only the last page. Sometimes it would print a blank page. Sometimes it would print in landscape. Sometimes it would spool way more pages than the actual print job called for, spooling off into infinity. And sometimes the print job would just disappear out of the queue like it had completed, but no print ever came out.

But the real joy started when I began uninstalling drivers. When I tried to re-install the software using HPs installers, they would end with "File not found" "Fatal error" "Uninstalling HP applications"...only it never uninstalled anything. This basically stopped me from reinstalling the software because of registry conflicts.

So I said fuck it, I know how printers work, let me just go find the basic driver installer. Well guess what, that throws errors too upon completion, and there's no fucking trace of the .inf anywhere to be found, because HP builds horrifically bloated software that can't simply unpack a file to the right place and register it with windows.

As a last desperate resort I turned to the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility. It recommended I download the full software suite. Which I'd already done but I said fuck it, why not. It downloaded for 25 minutes before completing with "Download fail."

And as the cherry on top? The first computer it was printing from after I fixed it? A day later it stopped printing.

God damn it I hate printers, but there is a special place in hell reserved specifically for HP Product Managers and Developers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:19:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74344 on: April 17, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »

I'm surprised this form doesn't have the monkey tail. I mean, fourth form randomly pulled a monkey tail out of its butt, where'd the monkey tail go.
GT is totally non-canon. Though I am also sad about the monkey tail. SSJ4 was a pretty awesome transformation in my opinion, much better then god forms "lets go full circle to the kaioken" idiocy.

...It doesn't even look like kaioken

like, at all

except for the fact that the color red is part of the design

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74345 on: April 17, 2015, 04:51:22 pm »

Phew! I now only have to avoid them because they're carriers of the bubonic plague.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #74346 on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:35 pm »

I've been calling Dr. Oz a quack for years. It's about time someone else noticed.
Well he is a 2009, 2010, and 2012 winner of the Pigasus award. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74347 on: April 17, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »

Network storage device is finding new ways to fail.  Previously:
It took ~6hours to upload a GB of data to it, but I can retrieve data at normal speed
Sometimes it doesn't accept my login credentials, particularly if I take more than about 5 seconds to type them.  (maaaybe I'm typoing, but I seriously doubt I'm doing it this often)  Then, thanks to ~windows file sharing~, I can't connect until I reboot the computer or something times out after a few hours.  I honestly can't find any way to get another chance to enter the password.  All I can do is try to open the locked share, and sometimes it'll at least take a few seconds...  to try the same authentication presumably, because it always fails.  Usually it just instantly comes back with "herp nope access denied", clearly without actually trying.

I've been dealing with that.  But last week there was a mysterious power outage.  My router stopped working at all until I hardware reset it, and the NAS is mysteriously shutting down (without restarting).  Particularly when I try to move anything of size.  Which *should* mean that the device itself is failing, not the drive, because there's no reason for its HTTP interface to fail just because of a bad drive.  But I'm not taking any chances with this piece of junk, I'm going to break it open and pull the drive soon.

Wait maybe the HTTP interface has an event log - oh it does, it's just COMPLETELY EMPTY okay I'm done.  Freaking iomega, I guess this is the downside of "buy the cheapest one with the amount of space I want"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #74348 on: April 17, 2015, 07:01:13 pm »

AFAIK, nearly every mammal is susceptible to catching rabies. I don't believe squirrels are exempt from that.
However, are they very likely to catch it? Nope.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74349 on: April 17, 2015, 07:16:46 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:23:07 am by penguinofhonor »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #74350 on: April 17, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »

Rabies has been eradicated in New Zealand. Also, we don't have squirrels. I am safe.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #74351 on: April 17, 2015, 07:19:47 pm »

Also, we don't have squirrels.
Your lives are meaningless.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #74352 on: April 17, 2015, 07:21:59 pm »

Hah! We have something better than squirrels.
Spoiler: Giant Weta (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #74353 on: April 17, 2015, 07:22:41 pm »

Hah! We have something better than squirrels.
Spoiler: Giant Weta (click to show/hide)
I'm coming to your country now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74354 on: April 17, 2015, 07:23:12 pm »

My science teacher refers to us as baby squirrels, and former students as regular squirrels.

Want to guess her favorite animal?

Pages: 1 ... 4955 4956 [4957] 4958 4959 ... 11037