Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4876 4877 [4878] 4879 4880 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467321 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #73155 on: March 31, 2015, 11:10:10 pm »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:11:42 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73156 on: March 31, 2015, 11:11:50 pm »

Pretty much, yeah. But regardless of my like of them, they're a feature in the game that shouldn't be disabled by default unless there's a clear option to turn them on that everyone knows about without having to read any guides or such.

It would be right there... In the custom world settings for all to see.

I just assumed we were working on the assumption that new players don't create custom worlds.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73157 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:22 pm »

Since anyone who doesn't like an aspect of Dwarf Fortress is pretty much cowed into going along with the popular consensus... or already left because of the increasing amount of frustrations in the game.
[citation needed]

Nah, Neo is kinda right here. The knee-jerk reaction to even constructive criticism of DF is dogpiling on the perpetrator. I could totally dig up some examples if you're hardcore about the citations thing.

As it stands, Bogeymen are the aquifers of adventure mode. They're both arbitrary placeholder mechanics meant to discourage certain behaviours[Dwarves embarking on non-mountain regions, adventurers traveling alone at night in the wilderness] in the temporary absence of justified in-game reasons to avoid those behaviours. Personally, I find the idea of people not going outside alone at night because otherwise a shadowy night creature will rend the flesh from their bones intriguing. Its one of those little changes to a world that makes it seem fantastical. With proper justification, like maybe a god cursing a region with bogeymen for some silly theological reason, I could totally get behind bogeymen. As it stands, they're definitely more of a hindrance then anything else and, more importantly, don't fit in thematically with the rest of the night creatures in DF.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #73158 on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »

-snip-
Examples of kneejerk dogpiling?
What the hell UK?!
I know what I'm eating for breakfast tomorrow morning.
It would be right there... In the custom world settings for all to see.

I just assumed we were working on the assumption that new players don't create custom worlds.
I. Uh. Contradiction.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #73159 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:53 pm »

What the hell UK?!
It's a toast sandwich. What of it? Only the poor plebs eat those.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #73160 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:25 pm »

From what I've learned in life, a matter is likely one of taste if both sides of the debate are using the same arguments:

"Turn boogeymen off by default. They're so simple to just turn back on personally. Dealing with them is tedious, easy as it might be."
"Leave boogeymen on by default. They're so simple to just turn off personally. Dealing with them is easy, tedious as it might be."

Really, is this debate going to end up anywhere?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73161 on: March 31, 2015, 11:40:23 pm »

ur opinun is wrong bekaus I think it's wrong m8
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73162 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:07 am »

What the hell UK?!
Those brits probably made that sandwich up to avoid saying 'I only had some bread for breakfast'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #73163 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:33 am »

As it stands, Bogeymen are the aquifers of adventure mode. They're both arbitrary placeholder mechanics meant to discourage certain behaviours[Dwarves embarking on non-mountain regions, adventurers traveling alone at night in the wilderness] in the temporary absence of justified in-game reasons to avoid those behaviours.
Actually the aquifer placement isn't that far from what you see in real life. Game wise it might seem like some sort of placeholder mechanic, but for simulating the real world it's actually doing its job pretty well (though in real life the water usually doesn't fill up your holes quite that fast :P). The difference is that in real life you usually aren't building huge underground structures that would make you care that there's water 40-60 ft below your feet.
Spoiler: Aquifers in the US (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73164 on: April 01, 2015, 12:11:26 am »

Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73165 on: April 01, 2015, 12:14:50 am »

What the hell UK?!

...Th... what.

So many questions.

But the biggest one is...
Why does it have a Cookbook page?!
This is the wtf thread, people have been pointed out to do simpler things worse than only cooking the toast and not the whole sandwich at once.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #73166 on: April 01, 2015, 12:15:49 am »

What the hell UK?!
Those brits probably made that sandwich up to avoid saying 'I only had some bread for breakfast'.

The picture is from a Canadian though

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73167 on: April 01, 2015, 12:16:04 am »

What the hell UK?!
I know what I'm eating for breakfast tomorrow!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73168 on: April 01, 2015, 12:20:17 am »

I think the internet's reaction to the toast sandwich is unjustified. First, don't knock it till you try it, butter and bread is hardly the epitome of unaccessable cuisine, we already do it for toast. Secondly, it originally arose from a desire to save money and not starve, which is a plenty acceptable source.

Also, we accept foods like blood sausage, pickled everything, and deep fried everything. What is it about the toast sandwich that brings such incredulity?

Now, what I want is for people to start making the Sinner's Sandwich (turkey, strawberry jam, cereal) a regular thing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:24:06 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73169 on: April 01, 2015, 12:23:04 am »

What's more funny to me is that some organization is offering money to whoever can come up with a cheaper sandwich.
The Butter sandwich! Take two slices of bread, butter them on one side, stick them together.
The single breadwich! Slice a slice of bread in half and make that a sandwich. Butter if you want.

Or hell, just steal from Bone and call them blank sandwiches.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 4876 4877 [4878] 4879 4880 ... 11037