Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4839 4840 [4841] 4842 4843 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448382 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72600 on: March 23, 2015, 12:41:45 pm »

So something called the University of [Redacted] Divest campaign started sending me emails. They want the university to stop doing business with companies that do business in the contested parts of Israel/Palestine and therefore contribute to the Israeli settlement programs in those areas. It at least resembles a good idea on the surface, but on the list of companies to stop doing business with are giants like General Electri and Hewlett-Packard, among others, who're are essential to keeping the university running. If they were to stop doing business with them, I wonder if the university could find a replacement with the logistical capability to handle their needs. Student Government seems to have similar concerns, and decided not to act on the movement's requests. It should be interesting to see how it plays out, but I'm almost certain it'll die there before it ever gets to the desk of anyone remotely relevant.

It seems I was wrong. Just yesterday student government passed their proposal by a margin of 21 to 4. The full list of companies to be divested from is CEMEX, General Atomic, Hewlett-Packard, Proctor & Gamble, and Rolls-Royce. I wondered at first why it passed so easily when it didn't even make it to a vote before, then I went and found it and discovered this little gem had been added to the second to last paragraph.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Student Government urges the UT Foundation managers to divest, as soon as such divestment may be accomplished without injury to UT’s investment interests.

Emphasis mine. It passed by such a wide margin because the University can safely do very little while still adhering to the letter and spirit of the proposal. One of the four who voted against the proposal is bringing a vote of no confidence, but it seems unlikely that she is doing anything but posturing (for who, I wonder? Even when they're doing controversial stuff not many people pay student government much attention.) This is the only thing student government has done in recent memory that people cared enough about to go to their meeting anyway. Now it just remains to be seen what the administration thinks of it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:44:43 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72601 on: March 23, 2015, 12:48:02 pm »

So basically its 'Hey, this is bad. You should stop helping them in the future when its doable and everyone's probably forgotten about this proposal'?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72602 on: March 23, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

Nah, it's, "Hey, this is bad. But you don't actually have to do anything about it. Ever."

"Without injury" is a pretty much impossible goal. Even if there's a net gain from such action, there would still be injury. Which means it'll never happen. Never be able to happen, unless the companies in question spontaneously dissolve into the aether.

And this, kind student government, is why you actually be careful with your wording when making stuff like that :-\
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:10:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #72603 on: March 23, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »

"Make a big fuss about how morally you're opposed, but do nothing in the interim."

Sounds like they're well-prepared for a life in real politics.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72604 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:59 pm »

FFS.

Some parents are assholes.

I find myself summoned to a "disciplinary panel" to defend myself tomorrow thanks to a parent complaining about the quality of my subject delivery. This is despite her performing 25% better in my course than any others, me having evidence to support not only the quality of my work (including detailed and dated content list) but also the pupils under-performance compared to her peers. The parents main allegation surrounds what the student in questions parents consider to be the quality and quantity of the resources provided to her - they claim that what they are looking at is not good enough. This is despite the fact that I have in my possession the girl in questions course material, and have done for 2 weeks as part of a review relating to her under-performance. They literally have nothing in their possession to base such accusations on. Something smells bad - and I suspect it is the bullshit she is feeding them as part of an non-objective grudge against me. They are probably swallowing it up as their perfect princess (who has been warned she faces action of her own after being found to be homophobically bullying my best friend...)... GRRR ANGER!

Of course, abundant empirical evidence means nothing to crying parents who have already had 2 complaints against other staff members rejected the last few years, and 2 prior complains against me I had no idea about already thrown out. So, arguing my case it is tomorrow. Fuckers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:26:56 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #72605 on: March 23, 2015, 02:32:09 pm »

Here's hoping you successfully defend yourself.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:37:57 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72606 on: March 23, 2015, 02:35:24 pm »

It's tomorrow.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72607 on: March 23, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »

Well, seems like you've got a pretty solid position there, so I wouldn't worry too much.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #72608 on: March 23, 2015, 02:38:47 pm »

It's tomorrow.
Dammit, autocorrect changed defend to defended. I knew that.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72609 on: March 23, 2015, 02:49:59 pm »

... Neo, John A. MacDonald WAS the first Prime Minister. He helped create the damn office. What do you think he was instead? And who was the first?

It is a complicated answer, because the position he was in wasn't called the "Prime Minister" and if we go to the first person actually in a position called "Prime Minister" then someone had that position after him.

If we are going for someone with the position "equivalent" to Prime Minister, then it is someone before even him.

Him being the first Prime Minister is mostly a creation caused by Canada's Grand Narrative.

I can find names if you want, but I'd have to dig through a few books of mine.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #72610 on: March 23, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72611 on: March 23, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »

... Neo, John A. MacDonald WAS the first Prime Minister. He helped create the damn office. What do you think he was instead? And who was the first?

It is a complicated answer, because the position he was in wasn't called the "Prime Minister" and if we go to the first person actually in a position called "Prime Minister" then someone had that position after him.

If we are going for someone with the position "equivalent" to Prime Minister, then it is someone before even him.

Him being the first Prime Minister is mostly a creation caused by Canada's Grand Narrative.

I can find names if you want, but I'd have to dig through a few books of mine.

That's odd. He's recorded as the inaugural member of Canada's Prime Ministership.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72612 on: March 23, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »

From another forum I browse: http://judiciary.house.gov/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=62B4FDF5-C8F8-4674-9C2B-08E9A0E7E908

Yep, that's right. The Senate Judiciary Committee puts together a press release the equal of what your 13 year old brother or sister could whip up with 20 minutes of access to Buzzfeed.

Holy crap.  I generally believe in immigration law enforcement but that page is completely disgusting.  Possibly the worst advertisement I've ever seen...  And from flipping house.gov.

Whatever they're proposing exactly, I find myself hoping it fails.  Which isn't rational, but...  Yeesh.  Looks like trite anti-Obama rhetoric anyway.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72613 on: March 23, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

House Republicans are literally Buzzfeed.

Alright, now even I will say the US is fucked. It's just as well The Colbert Report is over, because we've reached peak Republican where nothing can be done to mock them anymore.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 4839 4840 [4841] 4842 4843 ... 11040