Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4805 4806 [4807] 4808 4809 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443685 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72090 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »

No, no... either's good. If you get it wrong, you just make a good setup for others to snark, and that's usually a virtue.

In other news, I have discovered that, apparently, re-warmed rice and sausage mix-thing can come out smelling exactly like instant grits. The kind with the little faux-bacon stuff in it. This is terribly confusing to me ;_;

Tasty, but smelling entirely like the wrong thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72091 on: March 16, 2015, 12:12:58 pm »

Pretty sure you're not supposed to reheat rice. As in, it's the kind of thing that can kill you.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72092 on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »

... if so, it's apparently statistically unlikely enough that it's not managed it in over twenty years and probably thousands of instances.

In the immortal words of many a southerner before dying to heart congestion, "It ain't killed me yet."
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72093 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:09 pm »

Pretty sure you're not supposed to reheat rice. As in, it's the kind of thing that can kill you.
Wait, what?
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #72094 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:25 pm »

Who cares? Reheated rice tastes a million times better than... well, normal rice.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #72095 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »

It's the sort of thing that can give you food poisoning, if you allowed the rice to cool slowly and left it in a warm area. If you just put the rice in the fridge after you eat and discover you can't finish, it's fine.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72096 on: March 16, 2015, 12:21:43 pm »

... yeah, looking at it, it's not the re-heating that's the (primary) issue, but the storage.

I'm not exactly sure why someone would leave out half-eaten rice for multiple hours and then not re-warm it thoroughly, but... I don't do that. Here in this odd land, we have a magical device called a "refrigerator" which deals well with these sorts of issues.
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72097 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:11 pm »

It's the sort of thing that can give you food poisoning, if you allowed the rice to cool slowly and left it in a warm area. If you just put the rice in the fridge after you eat and discover you can't finish, it's fine.
Oh, alright then. I was always just told to not at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72098 on: March 16, 2015, 12:33:25 pm »

I reheat rice all the time. Never done me any harm.
As a sample of one, don't blame me if you die. Damn ghosts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72099 on: March 16, 2015, 12:51:42 pm »

I have no context, and can answer no questions. All I can do is gawk in amazement at the incredible density of WTF in the excerpt - the only words that don't ramp it up are components of discrete multi-word notions that do. It's probably unfair to blame Japan generally, it is true.
https://twitter.com/DoujinQuotes

Not to mention that the quote you picked isn't even difficult to understand. Like, at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #72100 on: March 16, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »

Getting any food up to a cooked temperature then allowing to it cool at room temp is considered hazardous behavior in the food service industry. Food handlers permit requires you to know that something which is cooked and not immediately eaten has to get below 40 degrees fahrenheit within.....like an hour or two, or it risks becoming a breeding ground for bacteria.

Rice is no different than other foods in this regard, to my knowledge. I remember working at an Italian restaurant where we'd make ~50 gallons of marinara a day. The instant it came out of the cooker it had to go into the walk in cooler with what was essentially a giant frozen water bottle, so the internal temp would get below a certain temperature within the right amount of time. If someone forgot to do that or did it too slowly, we had to toss the entire batch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72101 on: March 16, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »

My dad likes to cook rice, use some, then put the rest in the refrigerator for later.  It dries it out, which gives a texture which is pretty bad plain, but we think it makes superior stir-fry.

He also undercooks eggs and hates to refrigerate cheese, though.  And we used to drink a lot of questionably safe spring water.  I think he and I have battle-hardened immune systems by now.  (Don't get me started on grandma's undercooking...)

Though I always finish or throw out things containing egg or fish, because I've gotten major GI distress from being careless with them.  I honestly overcook my eggs to be safe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72102 on: March 16, 2015, 01:10:12 pm »

Rice pudding is basically rice that is cooked twice.

The second time, it is cooked with sweet ingredients.

The problem with re-heating rice is not that it makes it toxic, it is that the texture becomes undesirable/unpleasant.  Rice pudding puts this to good use, by using the increased toughness and stickiness of the re-cooked rice to hold the pudding together.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72103 on: March 16, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

Not to mention that the quote you picked isn't even difficult to understand. Like, at all.
So? That's not the cause of my surprise and confusion. There's more to life than the How! For example, there's the Why! As in, "Why, God, why?"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #72104 on: March 16, 2015, 01:19:51 pm »

The problem with re-heating rice is not that it makes it toxic, it is that the texture becomes undesirable/unpleasant.
No, the original problem with re-heating old rice is sorta that. But yeah, the problem isn't with the 're-heating' part but the 'old rice' part, as other posters mentioned - it cools down slowly, bacteria breed and spew enterotoxins around the food, you reheat it, killing the bacteria, but the toxins are stable, you burn the calories in World Toilet Sprint Championships.

That kind of food poisoning is even called 'Fried Rice Syndrome' because batches of fried rice in buffets not replaced or reheated were somewhat notorious for causing it. It was actually part of a presentation I did last semester for Microbiology. Along with another bacterium causing foodborn illness and Anthrax. Of course, one of the three is not like the other.

The second foodborn bacterium was not a Bacillus.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 4805 4806 [4807] 4808 4809 ... 11040