Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4803 4804 [4805] 4806 4807 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443855 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #72060 on: March 16, 2015, 03:28:37 am »

Art, philosophy, friggin' gender studies... why people actually think these are worthwhile pursuits at a university is a mystery.

Yes, god forbid people want to study topics you're not interested in. What morons!
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72061 on: March 16, 2015, 03:40:34 am »

I think the main problem is providing those courses as main degrees, really. It's like, say, graduating with a Masters degree in crying.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #72062 on: March 16, 2015, 03:46:16 am »

I was making a jab at the lack of employment options (unless you want to to be a history professor).

I think the main problem is providing those courses as main degrees, really. It's like, say, graduating with a Masters degree in crying.
"So what do you do for a living?"
"I'm a professional crybaby! I make videos on the Internet where I whine about things I don't like!"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72063 on: March 16, 2015, 03:53:27 am »

Also known as blogger.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72064 on: March 16, 2015, 03:57:37 am »

Cool unicode gender whatchemejiggers.
⚤⚣⚢⚥⚦⚧⚲
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72065 on: March 16, 2015, 04:01:00 am »

So today I woke up; while I was going through the motions of my breakfast, I stared bleakly out of the window at the small patio garden of the apartment building across the street,... to see a flock of green parrots. Eight of them, just chilling in the trees, as if it was the most normal thing.
Which probably is to them to some extent, but not to anyone else, since that's definitely not a native species of this country, and this place is in the middle of a heavily urbanized area, with green spaces entirely confined to parks and the occasional walled garden.

My first guess was: escapees from some aviary, or pets set free. But a flock of them in a tiny urban patio? How? Why?
Faced with the dilemma of what to do, of what I could do to help, and what I should not do. Who was I even supposed to call, who even deals with the rescue of birds? Not as obvious as it seems; there's no official dedicated animal control service, the closest thing to that is the State Forestry Corps, and they don't have much immediate coverage in the middle of a metropolis. Police, fire department? Could see them laughing and/or berating me for wasting their time.
I knew of some reputable NPOs and shelters, but their guidelines were just about any other kind of animal; there's even instructions about what to do to take temporary care of birds of prey, but nothing about exotic birds in an urban environment.

I was getting worried about the poor things even being able to survive in the open in this harsh winter.
What if time was of the essence and I had to act right in that window of time, before they flew away? What even is an efficient, humane and safe way to capture eight parrots? Where would have I kept them? What if I would have done more harm than good trying to help? What if they escaped from a quarantine facility and.. No, this was a job best left to professionals.

Before contacting anyone or trying anything, I would have been better off looking for informations, finding out the breed first, or at least narrowing it down to possible matches; even better, I could have found a sound sample matching their call, since pictures from that distance were useless. Whew, it was a quick search...

Turns out this is how I found out that my city, just as many others around the world, has a sizeable population of naturalized rose-ringed parakeets, all descended from a bunch of pets that escaped/was released in the '70s; the Himalayan foothills are one of their natural habitats, and my place at its coldest is certainly no challenge to that. I had no idea how adaptive they were, or that there were even native populations of them around here. Local animal protection association confirmed.

TL;DR: Flock of feral parrots watching me.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72066 on: March 16, 2015, 04:10:29 am »

Cool unicode gender whatchemejiggers.
⚤⚣⚢⚥⚦⚧⚲
My gender will always be ☿

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #72067 on: March 16, 2015, 05:41:55 am »

That's the symbol for Mercury (both the metal and the planet). Fitting for genderfluid, I'd say.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:43:31 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72068 on: March 16, 2015, 05:45:28 am »

Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars.
For everything else, there's Mastercard Mercury.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72069 on: March 16, 2015, 06:40:16 am »

God DAMN it, Japan. Some possibly NSFW text on the other side of that link.

Is that from an actual doujin manga or is it some westerner written thing? Just one line written in English doesn't really give any context.

If it is from a manga, wtf are you doing reading futanari hentai touhou doujins then getting surprised that they have weird shit in them?

But I don't think unlicensed scatalogical fan art really says anything about Japan. You can find the same kinds of thing on DeviantArt or  anywhere. And I wouldn't say that necessarily says anything about Western culture. Doujins are not actually released works, they're fan creations which are self-printed in small runs (maybe just a few copies) so that they don't come under scrutiny of copyright laws. They sell those copies to the 1-2 other people who are interested in Japan.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:59:17 am by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72070 on: March 16, 2015, 06:42:10 am »

Art, philosophy, friggin' gender studies... why people actually think these are worthwhile pursuits at a university is a mystery.
It makes sense as a secondary degree. Also if it's a single-year course.
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72071 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:38 am »

I looked up what I might need for my plan for summer income: selling homemade ice cream at the beach. Unfortunately, according to what I read, in addition to various permits, potential startup costs supposedly run from $2000-$10,000. Ouch. Damn, I had some good recipie ideas I wanted to try.

You can't legally require or enforce sales of things, but you could ask for or encourage a donation of a certain ammount; it's a possible legal work around, if you are willing to deal with the risk of someone choosing not to donate.

I think most of that number was actually startup costs for things like making product, since it mentioned the general fee for permit applications generally run from $50-$150, depending on permit and jurisdiction. The area I live claims to be small business-friendly(or so they say), so I imagine the permit fees are probably on the lower end of that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72072 on: March 16, 2015, 08:32:43 am »

Was playing a game with a bunch of Croatians, decided to paste-dump their conversation onto Google translate, 'cos.

Turns out they were having an in-depth discussion with one of their friends who was a homophobe, trying to explain to him a bunch of stuff, etc etc.
Didn't realize until now 1. How far the far western countries have actually come with it and 2. How liberal this board is.

Blown mind.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72073 on: March 16, 2015, 08:44:56 am »

Is that a guy with a gun, an axe, and a sword?
Abu-Azrael is of the opinion that many weapons are better than one
Probably a little late...

The gun is for shooting, the axe is for chopping open doors/executions and the sword is for murder/intimidation.  >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72074 on: March 16, 2015, 08:52:08 am »

Was playing a game with Croatians.
There's something surreal about having Google Translate translate the sentence 'Who the fuck would use google translate'?

Spoiler: The Answer (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4803 4804 [4805] 4806 4807 ... 11040