Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4766 4767 [4768] 4769 4770 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450084 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71505 on: March 08, 2015, 09:02:45 am »

The Griffin unit in the Russian localization of Warcraft 3 has a freaking amazing Stalin joke-level Georgian accent.
It is also why the series went from being a serious game... to being a comedy.
Because the Russian griffin has a Georgian accent..?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:08:54 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #71506 on: March 08, 2015, 09:06:57 am »

And here we see another example of the Knit Tie theorem: Russia cannot into BBCode, in much the same way as Poland cannot into space. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71507 on: March 08, 2015, 09:09:39 am »

And here we see another example of the Knit Tie theorem: Russia cannot into BBCode, in much the same way as Poland cannot into space. :P
Russia, in the person of me, cannot into goddamn shitty tablet interface. Fix'd.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71508 on: March 08, 2015, 09:54:26 am »

Because the Russian griffin has a Georgian accent..?
Presumably because of the bits of humor that the voice acting/responses put into the games. That have, uh. Been there since the first warcraft, iirc, and definitely since the second.

... the games have never been particularly serious. Or rather, they've always had their seriousness alongside humor, right from the start.

E: What the hell am I even reading right now.* This is a scene where a crazed world-savior is attempting to violate a giant bird with a dong-tipped spear. I mean. It's beautifully absurd, but. But.

*Well, okay, it's Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, in a literal sense.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:22:03 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71509 on: March 08, 2015, 01:20:36 pm »

I suddenly got a ton of lag on my computer and the disk access indicator was flashing.
I boot up task manager, all the access is attributed to the system process.
Then I notice that the disk defragmenter service host is using a lot of memory and CPU.
Apparently Windows decided to randomly start defragmenting my disk?
Since...I think vista?  Maybe win 7. Windows will automatically run some maintenance tasks when it detects the computer is idle, and it hasn't been done in awhile. The defrag is one such task. 

When you start doing something the computer is supposed to be smart enough to suspend those tasks but defrag being defrag it tends to take the longest time to suspend since it needs to finish moving the blocks it has stored in memory before it gives you back control, so it tends to be the task that is most obvious and intrusive.

IIRC there's a way to turn it off, but I don't remember how.  I just ended up making tasksched run different maintenance tasks overnight once a week and it's never bothered me with them when I'm on it.  Biggest hassle is when yer up late one night and forget that it's the night the computer is programmed to run shutdown -r -f
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:33:38 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71510 on: March 08, 2015, 01:35:58 pm »

Eh, I always shut down my computer when I go to bed. Keeps Windows Update out of my face, in my experience.
I was just really confused for a moment.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71511 on: March 08, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »

Eh, I always shut down my computer when I go to bed. Keeps Windows Update out of my face, in my experience.
I was just really confused for a moment.
This reminds me of when most of y'all told me (Sirus. :I) that Windows Update can be switched to 'update when I choose to, but download the update, thank you' mode.

It was a blessing which I still have activated today.

I suddenly got a ton of lag on my computer and the disk access indicator was flashing.
I boot up task manager, all the access is attributed to the system process.
Then I notice that the disk defragmenter service host is using a lot of memory and CPU.
Apparently Windows decided to randomly start defragmenting my disk?
Since...I think vista?  Maybe win 7. Windows will automatically run some maintenance tasks when it detects the computer is idle, and it hasn't been done in awhile. The defrag is one such task. 

When you start doing something the computer is supposed to be smart enough to suspend those tasks but defrag being defrag it tends to take the longest time to suspend since it needs to finish moving the blocks it has stored in memory before it gives you back control, so it tends to be the task that is most obvious and intrusive.

IIRC there's a way to turn it off, but I don't remember how.  I just ended up making tasksched run different maintenance tasks overnight once a week and it's never bothered me with them when I'm on it.  Biggest hassle is when yer up late one night and forget that it's the night the computer is programmed to run shutdown -r -f
Oh....um.

...Control Panel? :D
I have little idea either, other than that the Control Panel is the main area to access those...things :x
* Tiruin needs to brush up on her technical jargon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #71512 on: March 08, 2015, 02:51:28 pm »

Apparently today is Daylight Savings or something, and I've been an hour behind all day. Yaay, one less hour to do things. Yaaaaaay.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #71513 on: March 08, 2015, 03:04:57 pm »

Apparently today is Daylight Savings or something, and I've been an hour behind all day. Yaay, one less hour to do things. Yaaaaaay.
I was about to say that it's not due for the next two weeks, but TIL the Daylights Savings switch is different for different countries. The more you know!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71514 on: March 08, 2015, 03:05:43 pm »

I was about to say that it's not due for the next two weeks, but TIL the Daylights Savings switch is different for different countries. The more you know!
And here we have reason #2748 for why DST should be abolished.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71515 on: March 08, 2015, 03:08:22 pm »

... silly space. The amount of hours in a day have not changed. You've still got just as many hours to do things :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71516 on: March 08, 2015, 03:38:13 pm »

My sleep schedule is already so fucked up that this won't affect me in the least. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71517 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:10 pm »

The Deus Ex games being spoopily accurate about some predictions. Everyone knows the 9/11 one, but then in Human Revolution they made some more predictions that are close to home. So far we've had some serious issues in the oil markets in 2015, and artifical limbs being developed that will require anti-rejection drugs for life. Also Detroit is shit now but it was always shit so...

They look to be running an accuracy record at least as high as the Bible though. So that's something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71518 on: March 08, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »

Universe Sandbox2 just bluescreened my computer.

I think it had something to do with trying to render a VY Canis Majoris nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant nova remnant... and collisions thereof.

So I'm not going that again!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #71519 on: March 08, 2015, 05:47:50 pm »

The Deus Ex games being spoopily accurate about some predictions. Everyone knows the 9/11 one, but then in Human Revolution they made some more predictions that are close to home. So far we've had some serious issues in the oil markets in 2015, and artifical limbs being developed that will require anti-rejection drugs for life. Also Detroit is shit now but it was always shit so...

They look to be running an accuracy record at least as high as the Bible though. So that's something.
Oil markets being in trouble is a fairly easy prediction to hit, too :P

The limbs one isn't a prophetic thing - they just actually did their research, glial buildup is an actual RL reason Not Asking For This is harder than people would expect.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 4766 4767 [4768] 4769 4770 ... 11040