Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4758 4759 [4760] 4761 4762 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441464 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71385 on: March 06, 2015, 02:59:40 am »

That's massively based on an opinion, Asea.
Not particularly. All you need to be able to do to get published is write one of the following:

I don't just read so much fanfiction because it's about series I know I like, or because it's free ($8.00 for a crappy paperback that falls apart after a couple years, though, because damn), but also because if you're a tiny bit discerning the quality both mechanical and in terms of plotting and characterization is about on par with what is published, and it's considerably easier to find the authors who are a joy to read.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71386 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:34 am »

That's massively based on an opinion, Asea.

Everything is an opinion.
For instance, some people are of the opinion that things like Twilight and 50 Shades are amazingly good.

Also, Dice, there are a few good examples of 7, but this was one of the bad ones... The really bad ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71387 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:14 am »

does r.a. salvatore really get a pass though

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #71388 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:28 am »

I actually enjoyed Terry Goodkind's books.

I was ~twelve at the time, though, so draw your own conclusions.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71389 on: March 06, 2015, 03:56:12 am »

I have the same thing with Raymond Feist's books.
When I was a kid I loved 'em, then when I got older and kept religiously reading everything he put out I thought, 'hang on, isn't this basically the same plot as the last book? And the book before that?' And then I kinda got tired of him. :-\

Current WTF: 8 shots and I finally feel ready to leave the house. Either this liquor is weaker than usual, my alcohol tolerance has increased somewhat, or the place I live in is just really fucking scary. Especially in this outfit.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #71390 on: March 06, 2015, 05:12:58 am »

But I liked the original 3 Starcraft tie-in novels.. :(

(Liberty Manifesto and Speed of Darkness. Not so much Shadow of the Xel'Naga)

also, wouldn't Tolkein's books technically have 8 words you would need to have read the book to understand on one page? Or the Culture series?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71391 on: March 06, 2015, 05:15:38 am »

From the Progress Quest backstory:

Since time before time the Vorlak had held the Crosshutch at Thraeskamp. The ancient reckoning held that the Five Skrelkampi (and their Truebine) would return when the great Trond-feast could be held anew and the Belnap reunited. But this legend became lost to all but the Papperboxen at Horbug. One of their own was Yallow the Speldrig, who found an unlikely pupil in Torbole Understeady, the discarded illigitimate waif of Wainthane Topknox, whom Yallow renamed Grumdrig and began to school as a boar-pulmet's apprentice. ...And, as it was said by some, in aberdoxy.
As our story opens young Grumdrig has returned to Horbug following a trying stint in Spilwaer Spond where his laconic disposition and fertile mind bred a series of misadventures which had landed him outside the good graces of the Jordref there, Welham, who had secretly begun a long term course of slow but disaccomodating illpeel in the lad's morning fanwael. Meanwhile, though scarce a tuft of mansefur had yet made its appearance on the boy's manssach, a number of visiting Roilwachhs have begun to exhibit a discreet and seemingly inexplicable interest in the boy. Strange indeed, as he would not reach his krouchensterm for another harvest or more. And when Grumdrig's resiliant compatriot Paedri appears at Grumdrig's lochnotat with a Scrolstamp from the old Speldrig, a woozy foreboding feeling rises from his young gut...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71392 on: March 06, 2015, 05:22:19 am »

does r.a. salvatore really get a pass though
He played reverse-edgy drow rangers before it was cool!

I also happened to like the Dark Elf Trilogy, but since I  certifiably have no taste that means nothing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #71393 on: March 06, 2015, 05:25:56 am »

Picked up a book, read the first page, and realized that I write better crap than a apparently best selling author.
[...]
Err, 'best selling' = 'sells a lot', to put it really bluntly. It does not necessarily reflect on the quality of what you're reading (because in that case, it should...at least how I see it, actually give that idea instead of having it implied...which was what I originally inferred with 'bestsellers' :I)
I mean, 50 Shades was a best seller. *cough* >_>

There are books which, selling quantity aside, have very great degrees of quality in them but are not receiving enough love by the populace. 'Gem in the rough' and all...err pertaining to selling instead of unpolished quality.

Edit: This is my related WTF. :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:54:31 am by Tiruin »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71394 on: March 06, 2015, 05:43:49 am »

So after the whole destroying shit in a museum ISIS has managed to top themselves again. This time they looted and the bulldozed the remains of Nimrud, a city some 3k years old, built by the Assyrians.

It's like they want to get bombed by everyone on earth.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #71395 on: March 06, 2015, 05:55:17 am »

Given that they've declared a state of war on ... everyone, they kinda are.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71396 on: March 06, 2015, 08:10:50 am »

Picked up a book, read the first page, and realized that I write better crap than a apparently best selling author.
[...]
Err, 'best selling' = 'sells a lot', to put it really bluntly. It does not necessarily reflect on the quality of what you're reading (because in that case, it should...at least how I see it, actually give that idea instead of having it implied...which was what I originally inferred with 'bestsellers' :I)
I mean, 50 Shades was a best seller. *cough* >_>
Lately I'm been reading almost nothing but fanfiction.  I recently tried to get back into actual literature.  WTF is wrong with the world when random stories on the internet have better grammar, pacing, and character development then published stuff. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #71397 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:02 am »

are you saying good fanfiction is better than bad not fanfiction

i fail to see how that is weird

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71398 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:06 am »

Today I learned from an American Nuclear Physicist that Americans are forced to beg for Russian/Indians/Chinese to test their theories in practice because apparently USA has shut down all its research nuclear reactors.

Wat.
._.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71399 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:27 am »

More that fanfiction has raised my standard of quality for literature.  Despite the general opinion being that it lowers it. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:23:47 am by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 4758 4759 [4760] 4761 4762 ... 11040