Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4682 4683 [4684] 4685 4686 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440139 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70245 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:30 am »

Ok I have to freeken ask this.

If EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, knew that the lack of lifeboats on ships was a huge issue...

Why wasn't this changed far before the Titanic?

This whole "It will never sink and thus Lifeboats are not an issue" seems to not have been the prevailing theory now that I have dived deeper...

I saw the Titanic Movie and I originally thought it was weird for Rose to even mention "How odd, why aren't there enough Lifeboats?" It felt like forced dialog to give the characters "Super Progressive Precognition Powers" (Something I loathe in period pieces) but it seems like it was a constant hanging issue.

And REALLY the whole "cost shaving" thing is a dubious explanation in my head since frankly... how much extra cost could lifeboats add?

---

On a side note: I REALLY dislike "Super Progressive Precognition Powers"

To translate what that is: It is when a character in a piece of fiction is unusually progressive or has knowledge of the future in advance.

So a character might avoid smoking in a time period where it was considered healthy because it is "unhealthy".
Not just cost savings, but SPACE savings, these aren't inflatable rafts we're talking about, they take up a fair amount of space and look rather ugly to boot. Besides, if you have enough life boats for the richer passengers, what's your problem? We STILL have a pretty poor outlook on any classes lower than us in society, back in the 1910s I wouldn't be surprised if most people considered little rat lifeboats, before considering that the low class passengers might need lifeboats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70246 on: February 20, 2015, 08:53:31 am »

Neo, you forget, they (ie the designers) had confidence it wouldn't sink and people that could fund something like that are ALL about cost-saving.

It really wasn't unique to the Titanic it was in fact standard even on ships that weren't "unsinkable".

Also thanks timferius, that does make sense. The Lifeboats were for the rich patrons :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70247 on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:17 am »

... well, in modern times...
What is the cost of a Lifeboat?

​A ‘D’ class inshore lifeboat costs £39,000, a ‘B’ class Atlantic 85 inshore lifeboat costs £180,000 and a Tamar class all-weather lifeboat cost is £2.7M.

Looking into it a bit more, though, it would only have cost the titanic folks about 16k (compared to a 7.5m pricetag on the whole thing) more to outfit the ship with sufficient boats.

The actual reason seems to have been outdated safety regulations and a company that, *desultory gasp of shock and awe*, couldn't be arsed to put their brain on without the government beating them with a stick, and so only had enough lifeboats for a vessel a fraction of its size. To be fair, it was an incredibly common practice at the time. There was absolutely nothing unusual about the titantic doing it, and the best practice folks for upsized vessels at the time only had ~82% passenger coverage.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:57:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70248 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:35 am »

The second, from what I read is that even if it did have a full compliment of lifeboats. In an emergency where they would be necessary it could have never launched them all in time.

Which was actually true. While extra life boats would have diminished the casualties, it wouldn't have been a significant one.

It is why ships tried to make themselves "Unsinkable"

While Modern ships are made to have EXTREMELY prolonged sinking, enough that everyone could get into a lifeboat/raft in time. Rather then trying to be exceptionally sturdy.

A lot like "Instead of making all Cars tanks, we should make them collapsible"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70249 on: February 20, 2015, 10:09:05 am »

Goddammit Neo. I planted that derail to prevent this discussion from happening!

*shrugs*

I guess what I mean is, don't take it so seriously and we should just move on.

---

So I beat Broken Sword 5

And I think it wins the record of game with the LONGEST CREDIT SEQUENCE EVER!

No really, it is over 30 minutes long and is unskippable!

Well at least its at the end of the game.

Have you ever played Skyrim? It's got 30 minutes of unskippable bs at the -beginning- of the game.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70250 on: February 20, 2015, 10:31:53 am »

Don't be silly. It's the muscles that control everything, pulling the strings from within. The skeletons are just puppets. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
Oh and you really believe that do you? Tell me, when energy is running low is the skeleton forced to give up some of its mass for the good of the body? No of course not, that duty falls to the muscles long before the skeleton even has to think about it. You could say that the skeleton is just there for the convenience of the muscles, but it could just as easily be the other way around! And have you noticed how they're called the "skeletal" muscles?
It's no coincidence.

It's all a plot to enslave the mitochondria!  Skeletons and muscles and nerves, even cells themselves are just PARASITES!  Living off the true energy producers.

But one day, mark my words, the mitochondria will develop magic powers and group instinct and then you'll all be sorry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve_%28video_game%29
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70251 on: February 20, 2015, 10:33:12 am »

I will ask my mitochondria to pay its backrent should it try to liquefy me for some fiendish purpose. :P
  You think living space is free?  Protection cheap?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #70252 on: February 20, 2015, 10:36:28 am »

Mitochondria, pah. Weak nuclear force will one day have its vengeance!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70253 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:04 am »

Don't be silly. It's the muscles that control everything, pulling the strings from within. The skeletons are just puppets. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
Oh and you really believe that do you? Tell me, when energy is running low is the skeleton forced to give up some of its mass for the good of the body? No of course not, that duty falls to the muscles long before the skeleton even has to think about it. You could say that the skeleton is just there for the convenience of the muscles, but it could just as easily be the other way around! And have you noticed how they're called the "skeletal" muscles?
It's no coincidence.

It's all a plot to enslave the mitochondria!  Skeletons and muscles and nerves, even cells themselves are just PARASITES!  Living off the true energy producers.

But one day, mark my words, the mitochondria will develop magic powers and group instinct and then you'll all be sorry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve_%28video_game%29
Jesus, the biology in that game was on par with history in a Dan Brown book *groan*.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70254 on: February 20, 2015, 01:26:33 pm »

Why was the DM asking me when the next game is? Should either be asking themselves or our host.

Also, my phone doesn't seem to want to receive calls. It keeps going straight to voice-mail on people most of the time.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70255 on: February 20, 2015, 01:48:17 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70256 on: February 20, 2015, 01:51:25 pm »

Why was the DM asking me when the next game is? Should either be asking themselves or our host.

Also, my phone doesn't seem to want to receive calls. It keeps going straight to voice-mail on people most of the time.
Are you wearing lead pants?

And Miauw, that is the sketchiest looking link I've ever seen, have you been taken over by kitchen bots?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70257 on: February 20, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4682 4683 [4684] 4685 4686 ... 11040