Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4649 4650 [4651] 4652 4653 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442256 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69750 on: February 13, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »

I actually think I can see where Neonivek is comming from. When you get a gift, it does require you to respond and act socially in a particular way. It also comes with the expectation that you purchase presents back at some point (otherwise your greedy, or on general people look down at you). Some people just don't want to be part of that, and I imagine for these people it could be frustrating explaining that they don't want to receive gifts and have people assume the opposite.

However, yelling is obviously the wrong response to this, considering the good will and the unusualness of such a situation. A calm explanation would go a lot further.

Also I'm pretty sure this was not her reason for yelling. It's just that I can see why someone might see the receiving of unsolicited gifts as a bad thing.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #69751 on: February 13, 2015, 07:49:11 pm »

And this [points above at this whole insane thing] is why I don't post on the lower boards too much anymore. Good god. The hell is wrong with the world? Do not answer, rhetorical. I'm going to go work on my game, which ... I'm not sure should be an ISG anymore and this reminded me why. [shivers].

I am bothered by the internet more and more:
It's just that I can see why someone might see the receiving of unsolicited gifts as a bad thing.

Let me boil this down to simplest terms

G = S1 + S2

G = Customary V day gift
S = Spouse

It is solicited by custom and relationship status. THIS is why over half of mirages end in divorce. (intentional mirage) Stupid, stupid arguments like this. End of topic for me.

Please somebody post something else.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:56:33 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69752 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:50 pm »

I can understand it... in the context of gift-giving holidays like Christmas, where the gift-giving is expected to be reciprocal and fairly lavish. Something like this is rather strange; Truean's got the right of it. Even if you neither want nor like the gift, there's basic politeness to adhere to. Nothing says you have to accept it, either. But again, getting mad at your SO for trying to be romantic is bizarre.

No? Women are well-known for saying "don't get me anything for occasion X" but they actually mean "you'd better get me something nice for occasion X".
Do you watch many documentaries about Women?
Only on le bluepill enlightened fedoraland channel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69753 on: February 13, 2015, 07:55:59 pm »

No? Women are well-known for saying "don't get me anything for occasion X" but they actually mean "you'd better get me something nice for occasion X".
Do you watch many documentaries about Women?
Only on le bluepill enlightened fedoraland channel.
That came out so wrong it's embarrassing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #69754 on: February 13, 2015, 07:58:52 pm »

Okay, I agree with Truean, let's stop here, it's just weird and it really should be something to gloss over.
On another note how's that weather eh govner *english sounding terms*
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69755 on: February 13, 2015, 08:01:20 pm »

I actually think I can see where Neonivek is comming from. When you get a gift, it does require you to respond and act socially in a particular way. It also comes with the expectation that you purchase presents back at some point (otherwise your greedy, or on general people look down at you). Some people just don't want to be part of that, and I imagine for these people it could be frustrating explaining that they don't want to receive gifts and have people assume the opposite.

It is more of the "act socially in a particular" way that is the issue. The whole "giving a gift back" aspect isn't an obligation nor is it really a big deal. At most it is a pain rather then a "horrible thing to do to someone".

The reason it is selfish to give someone a gift they specifically asked you not to give them. Is because giving them a gift FORCES them to ingratiate themselves and to accept the gift.

You are using gift giving to lock them into a situation where they have to "Like you for it". You are doing it because of your selfish desire to be a "good gift giver" person for lack of a better word and for the words of thanks and praise you will receive for doing so. It cannot be because you genuinely believe they want the gift because they explicitly asked you not to.

The problem to me isn't the yelling, it is that even without the yelling no one would take her side. This board would still be thinking "That bitch" if she said "I don't want them" or "Take them back" or "I cannot accept this gift" or if she throws it out because when she receives a gift she is OBLIGATED to like it... Ohh and if she refuses to use it and she even touches those flowers it makes the guy "Right" for buying them against her wishes. He is basically buying her with that gift.

Literally the only thing she could do in this situation that would be socially acceptable is to graciously accept the gift and "enjoy it"... and that is why it is so terrible to give someone a gift that they explicitly ask not to receive. That is it... Nothing else... and why I don't consider her the one with sole "in the wrong" for being so emotionally soured by it that she resorted to yelling. He is in the wrong too, in fact more so. It is outright manipulation using social convention.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:05:36 pm by Neonivek »

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69756 on: February 13, 2015, 08:05:33 pm »

Neonivek, what part of "stop" do you not understand?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69757 on: February 13, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »

I stopped, people continued.

Why can't I have last word and you stop? :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69758 on: February 13, 2015, 08:09:43 pm »

I stopped, people continued.

Why can't I have last word and you stop? :P

I did ask more questions yes...

But no more on the situation. I don't think we're going to convince you and you're not going to convince us, so it isn't a very good use of time. Ah well :D
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69759 on: February 13, 2015, 08:10:51 pm »

So I noticed that while KFC tastes way better cold then it does hot

Popeyes chicken however... tastes better warm then it does cold.

Pizza tastes better cold.

Burgers taste worse cold

Honestly one day I want to buy a BIG pepperoni pizza and refrigerate it entirely... or a tub of KFC and just pop the whole thing in the fridge.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69760 on: February 13, 2015, 08:15:21 pm »

'tis better to put pizza in the fridge if you want it cold.

I recall ordering large pizzas a lot and then leaving it out, and it gets cold and is yummy, but it also gets really dry and... icky.

So now I don't really like pizza! Yay!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69761 on: February 13, 2015, 08:16:57 pm »

Well, you can plastic wrap the pizza and a bunch of other things to lock in the moisture.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69762 on: February 13, 2015, 08:19:52 pm »

I find both KFC and pizza is inedible cold. Am I weird?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69763 on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »

I find KFC to be inedible hot; so I doubt it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69764 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:45 pm »

Pizza, definitely not weird. KFC, I guess it depends a bit - I have a comparison between the - literally - same dish in KFC in Poland and England in several different places, and it's completely different for some reason. The English one was more greasy, and greasy and cold = nope.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 4649 4650 [4651] 4652 4653 ... 11040