Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4647 4648 [4649] 4650 4651 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444057 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69720 on: February 13, 2015, 06:56:52 pm »

My mom is yelling at my dad for buying her flowers. It's valentine's day. It cost $32. Huh? Sure she said not to get her anything, but that's code not to listen to that most of the time and get something.

She should realize he was trying.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:10:06 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69721 on: February 13, 2015, 06:59:04 pm »

My stupid mom is yelling at my dad for buying her flowers. It's valentine's day. It cost $32. She's dumb. Sure she said not to get her anything, but that's code not to listen to that most of the time and get something.

Stupid should shut up and realize he was trying.

No she has a point. He was buying those flowers for himself and putting her on the spot and expecting her to be "grateful" for deliberately going against her wishes.

In fact the greater the price the worse what he did is. If he bought her like... a Snickers... Then I'd be on his side. A Snickers would have been a great compromise.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69722 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »

...It's just a fucking gift. What is wrong with buying someone you love some goddamn flowers?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69723 on: February 13, 2015, 07:02:43 pm »

...It's just a fucking gift. What is wrong with buying someone you love some goddamn flowers?

Unwanted gifts are a horrible imposition and carry with it the "obligation" to like it or accept it.

It is a dreadful thing to do so someone who genuinely didn't want a present.

Heck I didn't know how terrible this TRUELY was until it happened to me. I am on the Mother's side in this case.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:04:56 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69724 on: February 13, 2015, 07:06:34 pm »

No? Women are well-known for saying "don't get me anything for occasion X" but they actually mean "you'd better get me something nice for occasion X". Unfortunately we have no idea at this point, but it was reasonable to assume that she did, in fact, want a gift.

Also, yelling at someone for buying you a gift is a really arseholey thing to do.

Finally, it makes you sound like an absolute cunt to say "woe betide me, such a terrible thing it is to be given flowers I didn't really want".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:09:33 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69725 on: February 13, 2015, 07:09:07 pm »

Also, yelling at someone for buying you a gift is a really arseholey thing to do.

Yelling at someone for buying you a gift that you outright explicitly told them not to get is a bigger assholey thing to do

Think about what you are doing RIGHT NOW! You are shaming her for not liking the gift.

Just by receiving this gift... She is in the wrong.

The Gift literally does nothing but hurt her. It would have been a far more merciful thing for the Dad to just slap her in the face. It would have been far less painful.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69726 on: February 13, 2015, 07:09:41 pm »

Unwanted gifts are a horrible imposition and carry with it the "obligation" to like it or accept it.

It is a dreadful thing to do so someone who genuinely didn't want a present.

Heck I didn't know how terrible this TRUELY was until it happened to me. I am on the Mother's side in this case.

Well, you must be a joy to buy gifts for.

Personally, when someone buys me a gift, I'm happy because they thought of me. Don't give a flying Fitzgerald what the gift was.

Fucking obligation... no.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69727 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:24 pm »

Think about what you are doing RIGHT NOW! You are shaming her for not liking the gift.

Just by receiving this gift... She is in the wrong.

The Gift literally does nothing but hurt her. It would have been a far more merciful thing for the Dad to just slap her in the face. It would have been far less painful.
What the actual fuck?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69728 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:48 pm »

No? Women are well-known for saying "don't get me anything for occasion X" but they actually mean "you'd better get me something nice for occasion X".
Do you watch many documentaries about Women?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69729 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:37 pm »

Personally, when someone buys me a gift, I'm happy because they thought of me. Don't give a flying Fitzgerald what the gift was.

Congratulations!

It doesn't count! It isn't the same situation.

"Psh, Diabetics. When I eat chocolate cake I am genuinely happy and feel energized from doing so. I don't know what their problem is"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69730 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:36 pm »

Congratulations!

"Psh, Diabetics. When I eat chocolate cake I am genuinely happy and feel energized from doing so. I don't know what their problem is"

Indeed, the situations are entirely comparable. Potentially life-threatening disease vs. giving/receiving gifts. Swings and roundabouts, eh?

What about the giver? He bought her a gift because he loves her. She doesn't have to appreciate the gift, but she should appreciate the gesture.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69731 on: February 13, 2015, 07:15:06 pm »

Congratulations!

I can state with 100% certainty that there is literally no-one, ever, who will actually suffer serious health problems from being given presents.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #69732 on: February 13, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »

Again with the please no quoting....

Either I'm not communicating the idea correctly or you're not getting it or both.

She didn't say she didn't like the gift. She's upset he spent money at all. The guy is trying. He's not perfect. It's the best he can manage. Yelling is not required or called for.

It's called graciousness:
But, even if we were to assume you are correct in what she was doing, still no. All kinds of no. If you get a terrible, horrible sweater for the holidays, you don't throw a tantrum about how you hate it, even and especially if you do. Either you say nothing at all, or a polite "thank you" or you ever so nicely ask for the receipt to return it, perhaps saying it's not your size or won't be after you wash it. In the case of chocolate with diabetics, if given intentionally to cause odd situations, then clearly that's a problem, but more likely the person didn't know.

TL:DR - Don't jump down a well meaning person's throat for an honestly well intentioned mistake. Even then, traditionally buying flowers for a spouse on valentine's day is not a bad thing at all and expected. There's a whole industry built around it.

P.S. Are you ok? It seems this has inadvertently struck a cord. That was never intended.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:17:48 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69733 on: February 13, 2015, 07:16:18 pm »

What about the giver? He bought her a gift because he loves her. She doesn't have to appreciate the gift, but she should appreciate the gesture.

Ohh yes... That lovely gesture

"Hey, I love you so much... That I am going to go against your wishes and buy you a gift because it makes ME feel better... but don't worry you only have to tell me you like it and enjoy this completely unwanted gift.

Aren't I the PARAGON OF THOUGHT!?!"

In the case of chocolate with diabetics, if given intentionally to cause odd situations, then clearly that's a problem, but more likely the person didn't know.

The intention of that is that he stated that he has no problem receiving gifts... In a situation where he would have no problem receiving gifts. (Rather than a situation where he is put on a spot with a gift he hates that he explicitly told them not to buy)

In the same way that him saying that eating chocolate cake no problem to a diabetic is the same situation in that... Of course the diabetic would have an issue and he wouldn't.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:18:46 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69734 on: February 13, 2015, 07:18:40 pm »

Did you read what Truean said at all?
Pages: 1 ... 4647 4648 [4649] 4650 4651 ... 11040