Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4613 4614 [4615] 4616 4617 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445659 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69210 on: February 07, 2015, 05:15:39 pm »

Q-whatever-his-name-is
Quiddi-

Kwisatz-

Kvatc-

Fuck it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #69211 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »

At least they don't have sex with them too. OH WAIT THEY DO BUT THAT SCENE WAS DELETED.
...where is this
Yeah that's disgusting. I need to know where on the internet I should never set foot.
He means they link the tentacles with each other when they have sex, not have sex with the animals iirc. At least I think. I sure hope so.

Though personally I feel that that specific point about their uses of the head tails being used as a point against them is a flawed argument since it's a part of their biology and ecosystem that is alien enough that human values can't be completely considered to apply in that context. As bizarre and ridiculous a piece of biology as it is.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:23:27 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69212 on: February 07, 2015, 05:24:43 pm »

Avatar, as far as I can tell, was all about the neat 3-D stuff and new visual technology and such. Everything else varies from shit to meh.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69213 on: February 07, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »

Though personally I feel that that specific point about their uses of the head tails being used as a point against them is a flawed argument since it's a part of their biology and ecosystem that is alien enough that human values can't be completely considered to apply in that context. As bizarre and ridiculous a piece of biology as it is.
your argument is invalid :P

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #69214 on: February 07, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »

The weird thing about Avatar is that, originally, the whole "human painted green" trope was supposed to represent other races and cultures of humans.  Those kind of aliens were supposed to act like humans because it was a metaphor for race relations.

Then Cameron takes that and completely misses the fucking point, because apparently understanding the Na'vi culture requires more or less turning into one.  Like, WTF.  Yes, actual aliens would probably be bizarre and difficult to communicate with.  But you're making Pocahontas in space, bizarre alien biology is not required for that.  It breaks the metaphor when the Na'vi's connection with nature is literally part of their biology, meaning that there is no way that a normal human could possibly learn their ways.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69215 on: February 07, 2015, 05:43:45 pm »

The weird thing about Avatar is that, originally, the whole "human painted green" trope was supposed to represent other races and cultures of humans.  Those kind of aliens were supposed to act like humans because it was a metaphor for race relations.

Then Cameron takes that and completely misses the fucking point, because apparently understanding the Na'vi culture requires more or less turning into one.  Like, WTF.  Yes, actual aliens would probably be bizarre and difficult to communicate with.  But you're making Pocahontas in space, bizarre alien biology is not required for that.  It breaks the metaphor when the Na'vi's connection with nature is literally part of their biology, meaning that there is no way that a normal human could possibly learn their ways.

I think the alien biology is good. It makes the phenomenally hackneyed and derivative plot some small amount less hackneyed and derivative.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69216 on: February 07, 2015, 06:04:11 pm »

Speaking of biology, a very good friend of mine found this in his bed at night.

It's under a medium-sized orange cup.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #69217 on: February 07, 2015, 06:12:56 pm »

Avatar, as far as I can tell, was all about the neat 3-D stuff and new visual technology and such. Everything else varies from shit to meh.
That's also what I got out of it. Over-hyped tech demo with a plot summarized as "Dances with Smurfs in Space".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69218 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:25 pm »

Wasps are arseholes.

That's also what I got out of it. Over-hyped tech demo with a plot summarized as "Dances with Smurfs in Space".
It was an NZ team (called Weta somesuch) who did most of the 3D stuff IIRC, so their involvement was the only thing anyone actually cared about over here.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #69219 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:53 pm »

Wait so it wasn't a Pocahontas remake?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69220 on: February 07, 2015, 06:16:48 pm »

Size? If it's about an inch it's definitely a hornet. Hornets are nice(er) though. They'll just bump you and things. They only sting you if you persist in doing whatever they don't want you to do or you squish them.

It was about 1.2 inches long. Could it have been a queen wasp, though?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69221 on: February 07, 2015, 06:19:50 pm »

It was about 1.2 inches long. Could it have been a queen wasp, though?
They look pretty similar according to a brief image search.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #69222 on: February 07, 2015, 06:20:08 pm »

...Dances with Smurf Pocahontas in Space.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69223 on: February 07, 2015, 06:31:46 pm »

No, it was clearly a remake of Fern Gully
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69224 on: February 07, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »

No, it was clearly a remake of Fern Gully
:o  that's not 100% wrong.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 4613 4614 [4615] 4616 4617 ... 11040