Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4586 4587 [4588] 4589 4590 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432057 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68805 on: February 02, 2015, 08:21:45 pm »

Elementary school was the shit. Regular holidays and parties where we did nothing all day. Everyone was outgoing and friendly. Recess. Fun. Yes please.

Middle school and high school suck in comparison. Less holidays, more work, less friendly people, everyone gets into their own niches and cliques. Sexual tension between genders as suddenly the onset of hormones means the distinction between male and female actually matters. Personally, I was awkward as hell and had almost no friends, but at least in middle school I regularly interacted with those few friends. Then in high school I slowly lost contact with them over the years. And didn't make new friends.

College seems better than middle school or high school, if only because the schedule is better and I have more free time. No friends now that all my old friends have gone elsewhere but at least I have more time for my interests.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #68806 on: February 02, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »

So, my stepdad recently showed me a really cool 'sculpture' (For lack of a better word; it's a very good wood carving of a ship mounted on a wooden plaque with a map on it) he got at a flea market. It's got some writing on it, and everything I've tried has failed to translate it. Granted, I've only really used various online translators, but still. Not sure what the language is; I suspect Latin or Portuguese, but I don't speak either of those languages so I wouldn't really know.

Anyone care to take a crack at it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68807 on: February 02, 2015, 09:38:42 pm »

I would have guessed Latin from the looks, but not much help with translations.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #68808 on: February 02, 2015, 09:42:52 pm »

My guess is Latin (v's for u's, words like senatori and urbis). I think a couple words might have faded off, and I think nicolao might be a name. That's just me talking out my ass, I don't know much latin.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68809 on: February 02, 2015, 09:45:59 pm »

Judging from the "dn" I'd say that either it's very poorly written, misunderstood, or typo ridden, or that it's gibberish.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68810 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:04 pm »

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68811 on: February 02, 2015, 10:03:16 pm »

So, my stepdad recently showed me a really cool 'sculpture' (For lack of a better word; it's a very good wood carving of a ship mounted on a wooden plaque with a map on it) he got at a flea market. It's got some writing on it, and everything I've tried has failed to translate it. Granted, I've only really used various online translators, but still. Not sure what the language is; I suspect Latin or Portuguese, but I don't speak either of those languages so I wouldn't really know.

It appears to be related to this old map. http://www.dsloan.com/Auctions/A22/item-map-ortelius-pacifici.html
This page:
http://www.orteliusmaps.com/book/ort12.html
includes some translation.

Your version appears to be missing a few letters. Genio not enio, nobili not nb, patricio not icio etc. But Latin had a lot of 'standard abbreviations' for a whole lot of words and phrases, used especially if the writer couldn't fit the whole text in the relevant space, so that might be why it's written like that. Or his Latin was crap. Or you missed some letters yourself.

My best attempt at rendering the meaning would be "[created/made] through skill and talent, for the noble Nicolao Roccoxio, patrician and senator of Antwerp".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:10:54 pm by Il Palazzo »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68812 on: February 02, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »

A friend of the family told me she paid 60$ to some shovel merc to shovel her car out 3 days ago.

I dont know but it sounds like usury to me.  I offered to do it for hallf that and a cup of cocoa.
  Took me 20 minutes :/

Poor old bat said she felt bad for the guy!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68813 on: February 02, 2015, 10:23:25 pm »

Thanks! It's definitely the same map. Glad to find the translation. By the way, when I get a chance, would you guys care for a picture of the carving? It's really cool; I think you guys would like it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68814 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:37 pm »

Yeah, let's see a picture. I'm interested.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68815 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:49 pm »

Shovel Merc!? XD

I want that on a card, man.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #68816 on: February 02, 2015, 10:55:20 pm »

Fun fact, the shovel merc Corporation was founded by the honourable Shovel knight, after realising the worlds devastating lack of shovel based justice.
For other companies and efforts founded by shovel knight, please look towards shove-El-Go, a stylised art in the manner of using shovels and other digging implements to the best of their offensive capabilities.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68817 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:12 pm »

Thanks! It's definitely the same map. Glad to find the translation. By the way, when I get a chance, would you guys care for a picture of the carving? It's really cool; I think you guys would like it.

I suggest you have it professionally appraised. In the unlikely event that it's an original, or even a very old copy, it could be worth a good deal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68818 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:28 pm »

Sorry for the bad image quality (My iPad was all I had on hand), but here's the ship carving. It's actually made entirely out of wood, and it's mounted onto the map.
Spoiler: Large Image! (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68819 on: February 02, 2015, 11:14:39 pm »

Just had some scruffy, long-bearded old dude carrying a potted plant ask for a few moments of my time.
He told me to note down a web address, then went on to explain that it was for some sort of fundraiser put together by himself and some friends to stop female circumcision- apparently a big thing in Africa?- by travelling over there, circumcising the men responsible and taking their 'bits' as trophies.
The plan also involved surfing across/around volcanoes or something along those lines, but by that point I was rather lost and just nodded dumbly along in bewilderment.

This town sure has some characters.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 4586 4587 [4588] 4589 4590 ... 11039