Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4573 4574 [4575] 4576 4577 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444375 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68610 on: January 29, 2015, 11:45:58 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:12:07 am by penguinofhonor »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #68611 on: January 30, 2015, 12:00:15 am »

interestingly enough I just tried to check the grisha5 topic in poh's sig again and I found out that the Toad has deleted the monument to our savior grisha5

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68612 on: January 30, 2015, 12:02:14 am »

interestingly enough I just tried to check the grisha5 topic in poh's sig again and I found out that the Toad has deleted the monument to our savior grisha5
I know the thread got locked after the wikipedia vandalism, but when was it deleted?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68613 on: January 30, 2015, 02:13:54 am »

I never understood the whole Fedora=Reddit using jerkwad.

Shame, I quite like the hat. Looks good on a suit. Wish I still had mine, but it doesn't fit.

It is basically stereotyping the same way that a "Nerd" might have thick glasses, bad skin, and greasy hair... maybe a bit scrawny.

Basically one famous reddit using jerkwad wore a fedora so now neckbeards and fedoras are considered to be the "traits" of a someone who is a reddit using jerkwad.

It is actually pretty despicable in the sense that they are demonifying a look. At LEAST it isn't racial profiling but that is a small consolation.

Basically just imagine if some guy went on a killing spree with a green sweater and then all of a sudden Green Sweaters were considered the sign that you were psychotic. If you were mad people would say "Thanks green Sweaterman" as a way to discredit your grief.

I don't know it is actually incredibly hurtful since I am a "internet nerd" and so basically I am some hyper obese neckbeard *eye roll*.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:15:58 am by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68614 on: January 30, 2015, 03:06:06 am »

Shame, I quite like the hat. Looks good on a suit. Wish I still had mine, but it doesn't fit.

Basically one famous reddit using jerkwad wore a fedora so now neckbeards and fedoras are considered to be the "traits" of a someone who is a reddit using jerkwad.

No, not at all. Go to a college campus, especially in a particularly conservative area. They're everywhere. It's not an individual, it's an entire odd subset of people who are predictably atheist "Nice Guys", likely libertarian, plays PC games all day, socially awkward. They'll talk your ear off about TF2 or ponies or whatever they're into.

It's the strangest thing.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68615 on: January 30, 2015, 03:14:48 am »

On Controversy and Bay12

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't forget the issue of ban-happy mods who lock a thread at the first sign of the broaching of a controversial topic or even the mildest of disagreement.

δοξάζουν τον έριδας ρις Eris έρις
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:14:00 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68616 on: January 30, 2015, 03:23:34 am »

It is basically stereotyping the same way that a "Nerd" might have thick glasses, bad skin, and greasy hair... maybe a bit scrawny.

It is actually pretty despicable in the sense that they are demonifying a look. At LEAST it isn't racial profiling but that is a small consolation.

Basically just imagine if some guy went on a killing spree with a green sweater and then all of a sudden Green Sweaters were considered the sign that you were psychotic. If you were mad people would say "Thanks green Sweaterman" as a way to discredit your grief.

I don't know it is actually incredibly hurtful since I am a "internet nerd" and so basically I am some hyper obese neckbeard *eye roll*.

I don't know about you, but many of the emo / nerd type people in my town wore fedoras and some even wore trenchcoats (at like 16 years old.)

https://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_matntzzWUS1r8f82jo1_500.jpg

^ Basically that, a failure at being cool. Not that I'm cool or anything of course. :)

I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68617 on: January 30, 2015, 03:26:44 am »

Let me translate it to you

"Hey my stereotyping is perfectly justified because I can find examples of that stereotype being true.

Also look how stupid they are HA HA HA!"

Mmmmm can you taste that discrimination? Mmmm it tastes like hypocrisy.

Seriously WTF?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:32:08 am by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68618 on: January 30, 2015, 03:40:44 am »

I literally have never seen a person wearing a fedora in my life who was not:

1. Under the age of 50
2. A stereotypical neckbeard
3. Dressed up as a stereotypical neckbeard

It's not like it's a popular hat. It's not like fedora, trenchcoat and cargo shorts is popular fashion, wearing that is associating yourself with a certain subculture. It's like blaming people for assuming that someone's a brony when all they're doing is wearing a shirt with a rainbow on it that says "20% cooler".

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68619 on: January 30, 2015, 03:59:29 am »

Bowler hats are better anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #68620 on: January 30, 2015, 04:14:18 am »

Reddit jerkward = Trilby.

Google trilby. It is somewhat alike fedora, but it is not one.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68621 on: January 30, 2015, 04:18:22 am »

Excuse u all. Paperboy hat 4 lyfe

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #68622 on: January 30, 2015, 04:21:38 am »

No hat as a proper Stetson, anyway.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68623 on: January 30, 2015, 05:20:33 am »

Reddit jerkward = Trilby.

Google trilby. It is somewhat alike fedora, but it is not one.

Yes. Thank you. It bugs the hell outta me every time.

And the issue is literally the same as with a certain subset of people who wear black leather dusters - they are trying to cargo-cult coolness. Come to think of that, it's sorta ironic, as the same people who use 'fedora' as an insult would be demonized or ridiculed by the media for *their* stereotypical outfits a decade or two ago, what with Nerd Glasses or Trenchcoat Mafia or whatevs.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68624 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:24 am »

This baguette is so hard I could beat a rhinoceros to death with it.
I MUST CONSUME IT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 4573 4574 [4575] 4576 4577 ... 11040