Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4569 4570 [4571] 4572 4573 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446637 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68550 on: January 29, 2015, 03:32:03 pm »

You know what I find weird?

when Authors make their protagonist, who is almost always female, talk about how unattractive they are... But then they go an describe themselves as beautiful anyhow.

It is like the author WANTS them to have relatable traits but doesn't want to genuinely detract from how beautiful the are... so they give them body issues but such shallow ones.
I've... actually seen this played well a handful of times. Worm fanfics, most recently. The protag not realizing they're attractive (or the extent to which they are), as part of a larger set of character flaws (often at least partially a more general problem with recognizing how others view them), can make for some interestingly flawed character interaction. All sorts of subtext and whatnot available to the reader that the narrator/character is (sometimes gloriously painfully) unaware of. It can be fun, heh.

The thing is with the Worm protagonist she genuinely isn't pretty. She's described (even by the guy who's into her) as someone who still hasn't grown into their own, and even when they did, they wouldn't be beautiful.

The "Not accepting their own beauty" is more often played wrong than it is right, though. Don't think I have seen it used well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68551 on: January 29, 2015, 03:39:48 pm »

You know what I find weird?

when Authors make their protagonist, who is almost always female, talk about how unattractive they are... But then they go an describe themselves as beautiful anyhow.

It is like the author WANTS them to have relatable traits but doesn't want to genuinely detract from how beautiful the are... so they give them body issues but such shallow ones.
I've... actually seen this played well a handful of times. Worm fanfics, most recently. The protag not realizing they're attractive (or the extent to which they are), as part of a larger set of character flaws (often at least partially a more general problem with recognizing how others view them), can make for some interestingly flawed character interaction. All sorts of subtext and whatnot available to the reader that the narrator/character is (sometimes gloriously painfully) unaware of. It can be fun, heh.

The thing is with the Worm protagonist she genuinely isn't pretty. She's described (even by the guy who's into her) as someone who still hasn't grown into their own, and even when they did, they wouldn't be beautiful.

The "Not accepting their own beauty" is more often played wrong than it is right, though. Don't think I have seen it used well.

Oh my, fanfics straying off-canon to pander to the authors' egos? Quelle surprise! :P

Come to think of that, the way Worm characterizes the protag could be a deconstruction of the usual way the traits she has are written. Self-conscious about her looks? She's not all that pretty, in fact. A penchant for anti-heroics?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68552 on: January 29, 2015, 04:15:43 pm »

My pre-cal teacher intentionally had ambiguous cases in a large amount of triangles.  Even when we were being tested on other things.  He was a big believer in not teaching something and then not covering it for the rest of the year.  The bonus on ou tests always had a question from somewhere earlier in the yea, and often we had to use an equation fom earlier to help solve a problem on a quiz. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #68553 on: January 29, 2015, 04:23:54 pm »

Surfing the web, I somehow managed to stumble upon this.

Apparently, 12.5% of African blood can now make a man fully black. It's not that this is somehow wrong, this is just... wierd. By that logic, I can claim to be of Mongoloid descent, and that feels rather, I don't know, strained?
1 in 200 people can trace their ancestry back to the Great Khan and he was just one Mongol; if you suspect you're Mongoloid there's a fair chance you are. The Mongol legacy will live on; their genes are dominant as fuck. No pun intended.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #68554 on: January 29, 2015, 04:30:12 pm »

If you live in England, I think there's a 90-something per cent chance of being descended from Royalty. Not sure as to the validity of that statistic, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68555 on: January 29, 2015, 04:32:33 pm »

Petty Kings?  Or the actual Kings?  Or the unified throne
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68556 on: January 29, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »

England nothing, chunks of the US are about like that, as well. Probably other places, too. It often seems like the only thing as common to royalty as inbreeding is philandery.

Both sides of my family are, iirc (possibly from the same king, don't quite recall). Mind you, I think we're also descended from high-status irish, scottish, and native american as well, at the very least. There's branches of the family we don't have info on, so there could be more :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68557 on: January 29, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »

https://community.dur.ac.uk/a.r.millard/genealogy/EdwardIIIDescent.php
Conclusion: there is an extremely high probabilty that a modern English person with predominantly English ancestry descends from Edward III, at a very minimum over 99%, and more likely very close to 100%. The number of descendants of Edward III must therefore include nearly all of the population of England, and probably much of the populations of the rest of the UK and Eire, as well as many millions in the USA, former British colonies and Europe, so 100 million seems a conservative estimate. Documenting one's own descent from Edward III is, however, another matter!

It would appear the figure was in relation to Edward III, not Royalty in general.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68558 on: January 29, 2015, 04:40:50 pm »

If 1/8 is the minimum ancestry required to claim an ethnicity on Tumblr then I'm Middle Eastern. Good to know I have that card in case I ever reblog something about falafel and get called for "cultural appropriation".

Unfortunately no royalty though, just peasants from different places.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68559 on: January 29, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »

Its even more fun with those of scottish decent, what with all the different clans.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68560 on: January 29, 2015, 04:43:26 pm »

... if it means anything, I think the qualification for legal native american status in the US is either 1/16th or 1/8th. One great or great-great grandparent, something like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68561 on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »

Awww, Im not legally native american? Shame.
Still armenian tho. Stuffed peppers are mine!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68562 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06:16 pm »

Well, the good thing about living into the internet age (or better, being born into it) is that cultural appropriation is now your (retroactive, if necessary) birthright. Everything that can't run away is yours, now.

And nothing can run from the internet. Nothing.
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68563 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:56 pm »

AFAIK, I'm English, Scottish and French. I've yet to find an Irish ancestor, though it's certainly possible.

The French bit coming from Huguenots. Curse Catherine de Medici!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68564 on: January 29, 2015, 05:13:36 pm »

AFAIK, I'm English, Scottish and French. I've yet to find an Irish ancestor, though it's certainly possible.

The French bit coming from Huguenots. Curse Catherine de Medici!
But aren't you yourself Irish?

:P
Pages: 1 ... 4569 4570 [4571] 4572 4573 ... 11040