Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4568 4569 [4570] 4571 4572 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449183 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68535 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »

The quote basically re-defines racism as not at all what racism is, then says "see, black people can't be that".
I think her PoV was associating racism == the treatment towards blacks, instead of knowing what racism really is. :P
Misunderstanding there, it seems.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68536 on: January 29, 2015, 12:54:21 pm »

I personally find the general theories PUAs provide not only situationally work, but encompass basic psychology and can be applied for all relationships.

It is, perhaps, because the stuff that is correct, is correct, and basic enough to be widely recognized. Or, in other words, you could find in any random psych textbook. If anything, the theories that are not ripped out of a textbook are hilariously wrong factually and/or ethically at worst and overgeneralizing at best.
True enough.  There is a lot wrong with the scene morally and in practice.  But then again, its targeting teenage boys, and immature 20-somethings.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68537 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:34 pm »

The quote basically re-defines racism as not at all what racism is, then says "see, black people can't be that".
I think her PoV was associating racism == the treatment towards blacks, instead of knowing what racism really is. :P
She's at that stage in life where she's desperately trying to find a cause to stand behind, yet to realize that the world doesn't operate in black and white. It seems like wilful blindness to help defend a cause. She's a smart kid, and will figure things out eventually, but the new cause of the week thing is getting a bit tiresome. Just regurgitating rhetoric and other peoples views.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68538 on: January 29, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »

Or just thinking systemic instead of individual, and not thinking to expand consideration beyond their immediate culture. I'd call it more miscommunication instead of misunderstanding... assuming the person attempting to persuade wasn't just making a blatantly ignorant statement, anyway. It's one of those topics that can get muddied simply because there's not really a single sort of racism, despite us only having one word for it (barring adjectives, anyway).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68539 on: January 29, 2015, 01:02:36 pm »

Or just thinking systemic instead of individual, and not thinking to expand consideration beyond their immediate culture. I'd call it more miscommunication instead of misunderstanding... assuming the person attempting to persuade wasn't just making a blatantly ignorant statement, anyway. It's one of those topics that can get muddied simply because there's not really a single sort of racism, despite us only having one word for it (barring adjectives, anyway).
She's at that stage in life where she's desperately trying to find a cause to stand behind, yet to realize that the world doesn't operate in black and white. It seems like wilful blindness to help defend a cause. She's a smart kid, and will figure things out eventually, but the new cause of the week thing is getting a bit tiresome. Just regurgitating rhetoric and other peoples views.
Fun with English that way. ;D
Approach it openly and understandably. The best way on forwarding those things.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68540 on: January 29, 2015, 01:14:47 pm »

I accidentally discovered ambiguous cases in triangles today.
It left me thoroughly confused.
The more you know. :3
The more fun things you learn.

Math is so fun that way.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68541 on: January 29, 2015, 01:15:05 pm »

i figured out how pens work recently :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68542 on: January 29, 2015, 01:25:09 pm »

Unless you provide further details, I'll remain convinced that you found containers which are unsure about their sexual orientation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68543 on: January 29, 2015, 01:45:21 pm »

You know what I find weird?

when Authors make their protagonist, who is almost always female, talk about how unattractive they are... But then they go an describe themselves as beautiful anyhow.

It is like the author WANTS them to have relatable traits but doesn't want to genuinely detract from how beautiful the are... so they give them body issues but such shallow ones.

"But me? I am not special. I mean I am too thin, my eyes are a dark brown that is almost black, and I am pale"
Me: "Thanks... So your thin, you got deep dark eyes, and have fair princess skin...."

Here let me fix that so she actually describes herself as ugly without changing those...
"But me? I am not special. I mean I am so bony you can hear me rattle, my eyes look like two pieces of charcoal, and my complexion is pallid like I just went through Chemo."
-Ok maaaybe I went too far... and no one would describe themselves as that... "Sickeningly thin with pallid skin and eyes of pitch" might work too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:48:42 pm by Neonivek »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #68544 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »

Unless you provide further details, I'll remain convinced that you found containers which are unsure about their sexual orientation.

It's a trig thing, I think. I just kind of coasted through most of the trig I've done without learning many names of specific things, just how to recognise them and what to do.

For instance, the ambiguous case is a very, very familiar term but I cannot tell you what it is.

Ah, the glory of writing a Mary Sue, being good enough to realise they're a Mary Sue, and then not wanting to fix the actual Sue-ish-ness.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #68545 on: January 29, 2015, 01:56:04 pm »

It's a trig thing, I think. I just kind of coasted through most of the trig I've done without learning many names of specific things, just how to recognise them and what to do.

For instance, the ambiguous case is a very, very familiar term but I cannot tell you what it is.
It's a case where a particular angle magnitude/location + relative side length can result in two different triangles, one acute and one obtuse. You don't ever really see it in classes because any trig book/teacher worth their salt will make sure that their problems don't contain them (unless they were specifically testing you on that). (link)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #68546 on: January 29, 2015, 02:01:29 pm »

Right, that. I may actually be remembering it specifically from my teacher saying that it wasn't going to come up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68547 on: January 29, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »

It's a case where a particular angle magnitude/location + relative side length can result in two different triangles, one acute and one obtuse. You don't ever really see it in classes because any trig book/teacher worth their salt will make sure that their problems don't contain them (unless they were specifically testing you on that). (link)
IDK, our teacher made it pretty obvious to us that that is a thing that happens sometimes, and even put it on the test :V

It's not that hard, just means that your calculations double after a certain point.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68548 on: January 29, 2015, 03:23:02 pm »

You know what I find weird?

when Authors make their protagonist, who is almost always female, talk about how unattractive they are... But then they go an describe themselves as beautiful anyhow.

It is like the author WANTS them to have relatable traits but doesn't want to genuinely detract from how beautiful the are... so they give them body issues but such shallow ones.
I've... actually seen this played well a handful of times. Worm fanfics, most recently. The protag not realizing they're attractive (or the extent to which they are), as part of a larger set of character flaws (often at least partially a more general problem with recognizing how others view them), can make for some interestingly flawed character interaction. All sorts of subtext and whatnot available to the reader that the narrator/character is (sometimes gloriously painfully) unaware of. It can be fun, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #68549 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:33 pm »

IDK, our teacher made it pretty obvious to us that that is a thing that happens sometimes, and even put it on the test :V

It's not that hard, just means that your calculations double after a certain point.
unless they were specifically testing you on that
When teachers make something obvious like that, then stick it on a test, it's pretty obvious that it's something they are testing you on. :P Personally I've never encountered a single question on it other then when it was taught back in geometry, and the test immediately following it (where it was done on purpose). Other then that I've never encountered a problem where it existed and it wasn't a mistake on the part of the teacher.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 4568 4569 [4570] 4571 4572 ... 11040