Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4549 4550 [4551] 4552 4553 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14576569 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68250 on: January 23, 2015, 04:41:49 pm »

Cultural relativism is one of those things where I nod in agreement for the first 9/10ths of a given sentence, but then wonder what happened when it concludes with, "Therefore, it was perfectly acceptable for Culture X to practice slavery/cannibalism/infanticide/systematic rape/whatever, because they considered it to be morally right."

Helgoland's put forward a much better variation, judging individuals not as if the standards of their culture were all hunky-dory simply because they thought they were, but in terms of how they acted within those societal constraints. That's what he was getting at, PoH. Yes, I'd not hesitate to assert that ritualistic murder is objectively wrong -- I don't subscribe to the central argument of cultural relativism, and think that killing a person without meaningful justification (that is to say, not in legitimate self-defense &c.) is not acceptable. However, there is a difference between an individual of that society who deliberately makes victims suffer and one who kills their sacrifices painlessly; both are operating within the moral and ethical framework of their society, but the latter is a "good" person insofar as that their offenses are those dictated by societal norms rather than personal failings or depravity.

It's not reasonable to judge individuals wholly by the standards of a culture or society not their own, but neither is it reasonable to judge them only by the standards of their own. At least not if you're interested in an honest examination of the moral and ethical status of their actions, rather than passing judgment with sweeping generalizations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68251 on: January 23, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »

Yes, I'd not hesitate to assert that ritualistic murder is objectively wrong -- I don't subscribe to the central argument of cultural relativism, and think that killing a person without meaningful justification (that is to say, not in legitimate self-defense &c.) is not acceptable.

Thing is though, ritual murder usually has a built in cultural reason behind it. To make an extreme example, imagine an isolated group of people which uniformly believes that a human sacrifice on the winter solstice is required to bring summer again. In this society it would be immoral not to perform the sacrifice, because everyone would starve and die otherwise. My point is that "meaningful justification" is itself essentially determined by culture. Yours simply happens to have different ideas than theirs on what meaningful justification means.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68252 on: January 23, 2015, 05:07:12 pm »

It's defeatist to think that anything's inevitable, excepting perhaps the expansion of the universe and the increase of entropy in a closed system.

Also death.

That falls under "entropy"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68253 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:24 pm »

It's defeatist to think that anything's inevitable, excepting perhaps the expansion of the universe and the increase of entropy in a closed system.

Also death.

The human body is not even remotely a closed system.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #68254 on: January 23, 2015, 05:15:33 pm »

Death and taxes are pretty much the only things you can count on in life that will always happen.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #68255 on: January 23, 2015, 05:15:45 pm »

Quote from: Flying Dice
Yes, I'd not hesitate to assert that ritualistic murder is objectively wrong

Except 'wrong' (in this sense) is something subjective by nature.
I'm not supporting ritualistic murder and I also think it's wrong, but  please don't bring objectivity into somewhere where it has no place.

1+1=3 is objectively 'wrong'  (incorrect is a better word, though), 'X action, x thoughts, x feelings, x things' are not.

I actually agree with you otherwise (for the most part). It's just the misuse of 'objectively' that I dislike.
I mean, I could say that ritual murder is objectively right. Doesn't actually make it anything objective, it's just a misuse of words and me trying to present my opinion as undeniable fact, and I really dislike it when people do that. Probably due to interacting with several religious nutcases before...
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68256 on: January 23, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »

It's like the clickbait ads aren't even trying.

Take a good, good look at it.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68257 on: January 23, 2015, 05:22:22 pm »

That man has a carrot-foot
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #68258 on: January 23, 2015, 05:22:33 pm »

What, is thre something else aside from the fact that the thing on the right is obviously not a real foot?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #68259 on: January 23, 2015, 05:48:42 pm »

I clicked it and clicked it, but nothing happened!!!!

:P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68260 on: January 23, 2015, 06:04:21 pm »

Also death.

The human body is not even remotely a closed system.

No, but it's part of the universe, which is. Eventually everything falls apart, one way or another.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #68261 on: January 23, 2015, 06:08:49 pm »

Quote from: Flying Dice
Yes, I'd not hesitate to assert that ritualistic murder is objectively wrong
Except 'wrong' (in this sense) is something subjective by nature.
I'm not supporting ritualistic murder and I also think it's wrong, but please don't bring objectivity into somewhere where it has no place.
That is true, but your wording was pretty harsh considering I think it was fairly clear what Dice was intending to say. :L The only context in which ritualistic murder would be ethically right is if it were to summon Great Cthulhu from his slumber in R'lyeh. Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #68262 on: January 23, 2015, 06:20:52 pm »

I love Ollie Williams is funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkTXsa036Fw
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:57:51 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68263 on: January 23, 2015, 06:23:34 pm »

Yes, I'd not hesitate to assert that ritualistic murder is objectively wrong -- I don't subscribe to the central argument of cultural relativism, and think that killing a person without meaningful justification (that is to say, not in legitimate self-defense &c.) is not acceptable.

Thing is though, ritual murder usually has a built in cultural reason behind it. To make an extreme example, imagine an isolated group of people which uniformly believes that a human sacrifice on the winter solstice is required to bring summer again. In this society it would be immoral not to perform the sacrifice, because everyone would starve and die otherwise. My point is that "meaningful justification" is itself essentially determined by culture. Yours simply happens to have different ideas than theirs on what meaningful justification means.

This is why I personally hold ALL cultures in contempt - even my own, just in case.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #68264 on: January 23, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »

I would love to sig that but Truean doesn't like being quoted.
But it's such an entertaining exchange; it's too bad it's clearly fictional (at least the conversation itself going so smoothly) because it would certainly make all our lives much easier if the court worked like that, especially Truean's.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 4549 4550 [4551] 4552 4553 ... 11041