Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4534 4535 [4536] 4537 4538 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432891 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68025 on: January 21, 2015, 12:21:49 am »

I've noticed that most people seem to assume that the practices of one particular GMO company are representative of the entire practice.
may-or-may-not be sufficiently tested

You don't know enough about it to know if it's sufficiently tested? Not sure if having such a strong opinion is wise in that case.
When did I say that?
I'm saying the testing they have done may-or-may-not prove to be sufficient.
Not that that matters to my overall opinion on the subject, anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68026 on: January 21, 2015, 12:23:24 am »

We've technically been genetically modifying plants and animals since the dawn of herding/farming. It just took a lot longer back then through selective breeding.

I'd argue the difference between breeding and direct genetic modification is sort of like the difference between modding DF's RAWs using the built-in system and using DFhack scripts to change the date directly. Both of them are modding and they can have the same kinds of effects, but they're still different.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68027 on: January 21, 2015, 12:31:46 am »

Yeah, but it's still a vague "think of the consequences" situation without much merit. There are a ridiculous amount of studies about their safety for constumption, at least. Genetic Use Restriction Technology isn't in use and Monsanto has explicitly pledged not to (though how much that matters is debatable).

I cannot find a single fear over them that's actually justified...

In fact, everything I can find about the alternative (again, organic farming) just keeps telling me that not using GMOs is completely awful for the environment. So it seems like the choices are go GMO, go organic and completely destroy the environment (due to larger amounts of farmland required and greater pesticides/herbicide use) or go organic and let billions starve.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:35:47 am by Putnam »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68028 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:30 am »

White House, wat r u doin

That's the number of scripts I've blocked about an hour into the State of the Union.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68029 on: January 21, 2015, 12:37:39 am »

White House, wat r u doin

That's the number of scripts I've blocked about an hour into the State of the Union.

Just gettin' a look at your browser history. And checkin' up on your other tabs while the boys are already looking around. For your safety, you understand. Wouldn't want you bringing in contraband and getting yourself hurt. No sir, why I remember back in the day...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68030 on: January 21, 2015, 03:08:43 am »

My only real beef with GM crops is that it lets companies patent the gene thingies and end up with a monopoly on a certain type of plant.

It's interesting that one of the first changes made is usually to make things seedless...

I'd say the reasons for that are fourfold:

A) Because no one likes to eat seeds. Some people eat them anyways or don't mind them, but the seed is rarely the omnomnom part of the plant.

B) So it can't grow in the wild and push out other plants by cheating. Although this is probably more of a side effect then anything else.

C) So they can make a killing off of selling seeds to farmers.

D) So the genetics don't mutate too much from the approved template.

C) is a pretty douche move and that needs to be regulated more. GM crops are totally a bad idea, at least until we can evolve some half-decent laws for policing the people who peddle them.

I've noticed that most people seem to assume that the practices of one particular GMO company are representative of the entire practice.

The pessimist is always either right, or pleasantly surprised.
^Probably irrelevant quote.

There's also another reason. Ever wondered where a store-bought banana has seeds? Well, it hasn't. And that's a result of *massive* genetic modification of the banana achieved through very simple means, predating modern genetic engineering: the bananas had their cellular division fucked with. They have an additional copy of *each* chromosome a wild banana would have.

As a result, they are:

a) Seedless - and that's the primary mean of achieving seedlessness in most plants, and
b) Much more palatable - wild bananas are far less sweet and more sour - that's the main desired effect of doing that - having the genome like that means storage of nutrients is increased.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #68031 on: January 21, 2015, 03:34:41 am »

Really? How did they even shove in an extra chromosome in the first place?
But anyway, I'm really in favour of GMO crops myself, I mean, you can't really make Triffids...
Actually, I'll stop there, I have no idea how genetic modification works, a mad scientest could probably make super triffids with organic rocket launchers for all I know.

Also, I recall that for a while, carrots were not orange, they were purple, I believe after some selective cross breeding, they ended up with orange carrots, which were (apparently) better tasting.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68032 on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:43 am »

Carrots have been orange since AT LEAST the 17th century, when it was a symbol of the Dutch House of Orange.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68033 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:16 am »

Actually, I'll stop there, I have no idea how genetic modification works, a mad scientest could probably make super triffids with organic rocket launchers for all I know.

Yes, but where's the money in that?

Anyway, I just realized how much I love twitch chat. I can be a complete idiot there and I just blend in with the crowd.

when  twitch  chat,  my  hand  automatically  go  to  the  keyboard.  i  use  ctrl  c  and  ctrl  v.  all  becoming  pasterino.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68034 on: January 21, 2015, 07:40:51 am »

Well, end of my first day of being on the double dose of my meds. To recap:

• Got up at 6:30AM (after about 0.5 -> 1 hours sleep) to go to the doctors and get the prescription.
  • Take meds and go for walk.
  • Come home, decide that being spinning around in circles with a three year old is a productive use of my time.
  • Spend 10 -> 20 minutes babbling to said three year old in simlish for no reason other than it annoys my mother (who's babysitting).
  • Spend about an hour in the bathroom because I zoned out and started shuffling in circles.
  • Have constant thirst cravings that never go away no matter how much I drink.
  • Get bitched out by sister for being too 'loud' because she was 'tired' - which means four -> five hours sleep to my one, the little bitch.
  • Laugh so hard at comedy channel during dinner that family is staring at me and it's highly awkward.
  • Retreat to bedroom and write this.
And the side effects are only just beginning.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68035 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:41 am »

I got to take a field trip to a Monsanto facility.
Was very cool.
They seem to take care of exactness in what they do, we got to see these chambers they use (shut up portal fans) for testing plants in different environments and they seem to be pretty good at what they do. Their employees are also really nice (just a side note), I think I might get a minor in plant science just to work there didn't college (they are planning on opening a bunch of new jobs when I get out of highschool so yay! [wouldnt that be wierd an aerospace or nuclear engineer with a minor in plant science?])
Anywho GMOs seem to be a good choice, only down side is some bugs are able to, over time, become (genetically?) immune to the insecticides that the plants produce (GMO plants that is).
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68036 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:47 am »

Apparently, my parents thought that KFC was a good dinner idea for my birthday(which yesterday was). Their biscuits are good, yes, but there was none to be had, just a bucket of their questionable chicken.

Brushing my teeth this morning, my gum started practically gushing blood. I also had some kind of metalic taste. It wasn't blood, it didn't come from the toothbrush, and it wasn't the water.
I got to take a field trip to a Monsanto facility.
Was very cool.
They seem to take care of exactness in what they do, we got to see these chambers they use (shut up portal fans) for testing plants in different environments and they seem to be pretty good at what they do. Their employees are also really nice (just a side note), I think I might get a minor in plant science just to work there didn't college (they are planning on opening a bunch of new jobs when I get out of highschool so yay! [wouldnt that be wierd an aerospace or nuclear engineer with a minor in plant science?])
Anywho GMOs seem to be a good choice, only down side is some bugs are able to, over time, become (genetically?) immune to the insecticides that the plants produce (GMO plants that is).

Cryxis confirmed for brainwash victim.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #68037 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:30 am »

An abscess?

I'd be surprised if you didn't notice one, though.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68038 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:01 am »

Really? How did they even shove in an extra chromosome in the first place?

Not an extra *chromosome*. Extra... well, I don't know how many chromosomes a banana has, if we did the exact same thing to a human it'd be extra 23 chromosomes, to a total of 69 instead of 46.

You don't actually have to shove an extra chromosome into the banana - the banana shoves it in for you. All it takes is, ferex, fucking up the parts that make sure the chromosomes are divided between two babby cells formed by cellular division, so you retain the usual two original copies + one copy that's made every time so that normally the post-division cells have a pair of each chromosome, giving three of each total.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #68039 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:57 am »

Ah yes, the sterile bananas...

Crossbreed between two wild species. One which has nice flesh and too many seeds, and one with few seeds but the flesh tastes like ass. We've had all kinds of problems because most banana plants are clones, which of course means that diseases run rampant in them.

I think they actually have gone nearly extinct during a particularly bad year.
Pages: 1 ... 4534 4535 [4536] 4537 4538 ... 11039