Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4511 4512 [4513] 4514 4515 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454797 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #67680 on: January 16, 2015, 11:30:10 pm »

I always find this sort of "filing people into strong and weak" to be really weird.
Because from its original conception the idea was that a bunch of "weaker" people could support a "strong" person so that they could protect or benefit the weak.
I don't quite understand this sort of "in service of your betters" type thinking since in the end, you are asking people to sort of sacrifice for you... for no reason then your awesome.
What is this a videogame?
Sounds more like feudalism//a protection racket if you ask me.
Yeah, sounds like it's a feudal sort of thing. The idea originally being that your average peasant couldn't afford the time or the money to build a castle, train in weapons, own armor, or raise and train horses. Instead they would pay small amounts (taxes) to the nearby people who could do that, and in return the nearby people who could would provide protection in the event that roving marauders, bandits, or foreign countries invaded.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #67681 on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:33 pm »

Flush my toilet.
A jet of water pours out sideways from the top tank.
Huston we have a problem..
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #67682 on: January 17, 2015, 12:05:51 am »

Is that what they call a Bident?
#Doesnotlikebidents
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67683 on: January 17, 2015, 12:14:40 am »

So I have quite the interesting tale from my youth to tell. A long time ago, Ddynamo was a wee six year old... (Approximately.)

...I thought I was a genius, like beyond Einstein level genius. It stemmed from watching waaaay too much Jimmy Neutron when I was little. (I miss that show. Planet Sheen ruined it.) I decided that I could invent stuff just by jamming one thing into another. In one instance, I wedged a paper clip into the seams around the two halves of a calculator (A real flimsy red one) trying to invent time travel. What I did end up with was a broken calculator.

(Shut up, I'm getting to the point.)

One day, in an even bigger fit of genius, I took a red Christmas tree ornament, the round glass kind that shatter easily, and stuck it into an empty roll of toilet paper. And by stuck into, I mean attempted to stick in. It wouldn't fit. It wasn't going to stop me though. I was a determined little Einstein, and time travel would be invented one way or another.

Long story short, the ornament exploded from being forced into the toilet paper, and a glass shard razored right through my thumb. I had to go to the E.R. I still have the scar today.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #67684 on: January 17, 2015, 01:04:52 am »

NZ's Inland Revenue website lists "income from illegal enterprises" as taxable income.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67685 on: January 17, 2015, 01:19:09 am »

The US has that last time I looked. It's to prevent folks like Al Capone that can't be caught for most of their crimes but get picked up for tax evasion on their illegal income can't simply say "there wasn't any place on the form to declare it, so it isn't my fault. In the US, the 5th Amendment is a theoretically solid defense against using that form to prosecute, but I don't know how it works in practice.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67686 on: January 17, 2015, 01:23:03 am »

... yeah, I've occasionally heard tale -- and by hearing tale, I mean talked to actual tax assessor-type people having witnessed it -- of folks more or less getting away with criminal enterprise because they properly listed their illegal income for taxation purposes. It was usually some of the lesser crime stuff (operating without licenses, dealing in stolen goods, etc.), obviously, but still. And beyond that, it definitely entails a lesser sentence if you do get caught. Really, the last thing you need on top of a criminal conviction is tax evasion >_>

Sometimes the government doesn't care so long as you're giving back your due...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #67687 on: January 17, 2015, 01:30:30 am »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67688 on: January 17, 2015, 03:02:04 am »

This, kids, is why trucks usually slow down gradually. Not because they can't slow down any faster, but because they don't want this to happen:

Dude was hauling some massive slab of rock and hit the brakes a little too quickly...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #67689 on: January 17, 2015, 04:07:42 am »

That's one big chunk o' rock.

Also, did he died?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67690 on: January 17, 2015, 04:19:55 am »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67691 on: January 17, 2015, 04:31:35 am »

I don't think anyone died in this case. The driver probably got a nasty surprise and possibly a bump on the head when the back half of the truck caved in, but it looks like (s)he would have been sitting almost at the front of the vehicle.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67692 on: January 17, 2015, 04:53:29 am »

Is the cargo crate on the flatbed backwards, or does it not matter which way they're placed?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67693 on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:01 am »

Donky Konga 3's japanese soundtrack

highlights include: anime opening themes galore, including 2 from Naruto, one from Bobobo, one from FMA, one that I'm 90% sure is from Gundam and one from DBZ; William Tell Overture; and the first Japanese Pokémon anime opener mixed in with a bunch of other anime songs instead of being counted among the Nintendo songs (which includes a completely unedited Multi-Man Melee 2).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:39:58 am by Putnam »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67694 on: January 17, 2015, 08:51:20 am »

Is the cargo crate on the flatbed backwards, or does it not matter which way they're placed?

^
Not sure if cargo crates have doors on both ends, but if not, that definetly looks backwards.
Pages: 1 ... 4511 4512 [4513] 4514 4515 ... 11040