Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4445 4446 [4447] 4448 4449 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485239 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #66690 on: January 05, 2015, 12:02:19 am »

Explanation, plz?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66691 on: January 05, 2015, 12:10:01 am »

The nineteenth century was a strange time.

While I was trying to find hysteria (the Def Leppard song) I discovered female hysteria. The distinction is made in the literature of the period between male and female hysteria, but they're both highly nebulous. It's basically a catchall diagnosis given back then to women with anxiety problems, or malaise that wasn't very serious but didn't correspond to any known illness. It was thought that fluids essential to reproduction at normal levels built up to unsafe degrees and became dangerous in a woman's body while she was under the stress "increasingly asserting itself in modern civilized society" and that it needed to be released by means of a procedure called hysterical paroxysm, known today as an "orgasm," or she would eventually go insane. It was extremely commonly diagnosed, and doctors were required to... stimulate patients in order to treat the disease. The craziest part by far is that the whole thing was seen as entirely non sexual by doctors, who often complained about the procedure, and by the general public; even decades after hysteria was discredited as a valid medical concern.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #66692 on: January 05, 2015, 12:16:16 am »

While I was trying to find hysteria (the Def Leppard song) I discovered female hysteria. The distinction is made in the literature of the period between male and female hysteria, but they're both highly nebulous. It's basically a catchall diagnosis given back then to women with anxiety problems, or malaise that wasn't very serious but didn't correspond to any known illness. It was thought that fluids essential to reproduction at normal levels built up to unsafe degrees and became dangerous in a woman's body while she was under the stress "increasingly asserting itself in modern civilized society" and that it needed to be released by means of a procedure called hysterical paroxysm, known today as an "orgasm," or she would eventually go insane. It was extremely commonly diagnosed, and doctors were required to... stimulate patients in order to treat the disease. The craziest part by far is that the whole thing was seen as entirely non sexual by doctors, who often complained about the procedure, and by the general public; even decades after hysteria was discredited as a valid medical concern.

Yeah, it was quite the strange time indeed. Hell, I don't think that can even be classified as sexist.
It led to the invention of the vibrator too, IIRC, so tired doctors didn't have to stimulate the women themselves. (I guess masturbation was frowned heavily upon or feared? Something to do with religion maybe.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66693 on: January 05, 2015, 12:17:33 am »

The craziest part by far is that the whole thing was seen as entirely non sexual by doctors, who often complained about the procedure

Not that weird. In fact I think that excessive attention is put onthat point, and it's vaguely reminiscent on the jokes/stereotype about "how lucky gynecologists are" (when in fact they have to deal with pretty gross stuff).

I'd say that having as part of your official workload to stimulate women to the point of orgasm regardless of their attractiveness or unattractiveness to the performer basically turned them into prostitutes. No wonder they were fed up with it. 

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66694 on: January 05, 2015, 12:34:51 am »

...Today's WTF is brought to you by Reddit, and the letter R!

So yeah. Saw something about a post on Reddit today, where the guy was threatening to take Open Carrier's guns if he saw them. There are so many problems with this I can't even begin to list them all. So instead I'll say:
What does he expect to accomplish other than A: Get either beaten to a pulp, or shot, and B: Get charged with a felony?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66695 on: January 05, 2015, 12:37:48 am »

C: Post attention-grabbing nonsense on reddit. This has apparently been accomplished.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66696 on: January 05, 2015, 12:40:13 am »

Why were old medical personnel idiots?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66697 on: January 05, 2015, 12:45:29 am »

In 100 years theyll be calling us morons
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66698 on: January 05, 2015, 12:47:44 am »

Well they were highly educated, well informed medical practitioners. For their time of course, 200 years ago. S'like... various illnesses were attributed to the build up of negative humours within the body or the... liver, I think, wandering around the body interfering with other organs proper functionality.

I remember reading up on ancient Egyptian medical practices and, aside from a few hokey things like using crushed minerals for cures, most of the procedures had a rather solid basis. Things like determining the severity of a head injury, remedies for malaria, preventing blood loss and what materials to use for sutures.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #66699 on: January 05, 2015, 12:51:12 am »

So I was thinking of some custom card design, you know because somebody brought up MtG (The Turing machine is actually a rather interesting process if overcomplicated, and a near impossible game-state to reach), when I discovered that there is a card just like the one I was designing, but cheaper and a cantrip to boot. Darn.
Oh, well, it's not like custom cards are tournament legal anyways.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66700 on: January 05, 2015, 12:55:54 am »

In 100 years theyll be calling us morons

Do they call the astronomers of 60 years ago morons for not having already discovered extrasolar planets?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #66701 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:00 am »

It's not as stupid as it seems. Sexual deprivation was at the heart of a lot of the mental issues of wellborn women of the era (which is also one reason why many of Freud's theories are bunk, most of his work was conducted on wellborn ladies who's troubles he extrapolated to be fundamental truths about humanity as a whole) due to the social customs of the day, so the treatment really did help, even if it wasn't for the reasons that they thought it was. Keep in mind that this was the Dark Ages of medicine, when we were only just beginning to go beyond medical concepts that dated back to the Ancient Greeks, and the notion of sexual fluids being an essential body component was nothing more than a logical extrapolation of the then-accepted knowledge as a fifth humor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66702 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:22 am »

Do they call the astronomers of 60 years ago morons for not having already discovered extrasolar planets?
The youth do :P
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66703 on: January 05, 2015, 01:13:48 am »

Hell, we use physicists from 80 years ago as examples of genius rather than idiocy. The name "Einstein" is literally synonymous with "smart person".

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66704 on: January 05, 2015, 01:24:53 am »

mmm.  Indeed some of my greatest.. influences?... come from the 19th-20th century.

Its hard to imagine the day when their work is obsoleted.  Some of their workalready is.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 4445 4446 [4447] 4448 4449 ... 11037