Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4394 4395 [4396] 4397 4398 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492823 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #65925 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:36 pm »

So I tried out this half-article half-game about discrimination, and I just stumbled across the perfect solution to equality.
The basic problem in the game is that triangles don't like being surrounded by squares and squares feel the same way as triangles. As long as there's a few triangles nearby, they feel cool. The problem is, this results in segregation.
There is a slider for when they'll move. Like, if less then 50% of their neighbors are the same shape, they'll move. They also have a simulation with a helpful graph for axises for time and segregation.
After a bit of fooling about, I set it so that they would move if even one of their neighbors was different from them. And guess what? Segregation went down! I put into a society that was completely segregated to see the results.
Segregation started at 50%, perfectly divided. However, it quickly began to go down as the people on the borderlands between the squares and the triangles got freaked out because they were beside three opposing shapes. So, they fled to elsewhere. This resulted in a cycle where a safe haven for a particular shape slowly got chipped away by a cycle of fleeing similar shapes and invading opposite shapes, making the haven slowly shrink until it got down to around four similar shapes surrounded by opposing shapes, causing them to immediately flee.
This resulted in a total flatlining of segregation somehow. As the moving around continued, sometimes segregation would make a feeble comeback but would then die as the cycle of flee and invade cropped up again, barely reaching the 10% mark let alone 50%.
Basically, if we want a totally equal society where no neighborhood is segregated, we need to get very racist. I don't mean "I'm not racist but...", I mean "OH GOD THERE'S SOMEONE WHO ISN'T EXACTLY LIKE US IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD PACK YOUR BAGS". This will result in a situation where everyone is either miserable because they're surrounded by people they despise or bored because they're surrounded by people exactly like them.
... Also, this simulation doesn't include violent action or people just banning opposing shapes from ever being near them. So doing this would probably result in several terrible wars and genocides.
You know what, the real WTF is that I actually tried to think this through.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65926 on: December 23, 2014, 09:47:56 pm »

Basically, if we want a totally equal society where no neighborhood is segregated, we need to get very racist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65927 on: December 23, 2014, 10:19:04 pm »

Basically, if we want a totally equal society where no neighborhood is segregated, we need to get very racist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fact that a gif like that exists is a WTF to me.
Also, that looks like it was recorded from a TV show; which implies that there was a show with that scene, which is a WTF too.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65928 on: December 23, 2014, 10:21:07 pm »

IIRC it was a 90s B-rated comedy movie.  I think they were trying to keep the house across the street vacent with personalized gimmicks

Something Something neighbor anxiety something property values
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65929 on: December 23, 2014, 10:30:39 pm »

That's from the movie Step Brothers. 2008.

They were trying to prevent their own house from being sold, because their parents couldn't complete their divorce until the house was sold, or something like that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:32:41 pm by BlackFlyme »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #65930 on: December 23, 2014, 11:14:44 pm »

I found some notes I had made during one of my existential crises. I'm too embarrassed to post them here, but take my word for it, I apparently wrote the Time Cube of nihilism. At least I think it's nihilism; there are very few complete sentences.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65931 on: December 23, 2014, 11:27:25 pm »

Ok so I was out shopping and I saw

The Ugliest Sweater EVER!

I don't think this could be beat without trying to.

It was puke green but the little dot fluffs (I don't know what they are called) are done in such a way that it looks like there are still chunks of food in the puke.

It was glorious! If I wasn't someone who was against buying people joke gifts... I would have bought it on the spot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65932 on: December 24, 2014, 02:06:33 am »

I finally caved to the medium-high strength painkiller my dental surgeon proscribed me, and....nothing. No consciously discernible effect. Not even drowsiness.

I think I may have gotten sugar pills. I wonder if pharmacies do that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #65933 on: December 24, 2014, 02:09:30 am »

I found some notes I had made during one of my existential crises. I'm too embarrassed to post them here, but take my word for it, I apparently wrote the Time Cube of nihilism. At least I think it's nihilism; there are very few complete sentences.
...I kinda want to read it now.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65934 on: December 24, 2014, 02:23:36 am »

Updating my will at 7am seems like a weird thing to do. Yolo.

Edit: cause apparently this post is worrying, no, this is not a suicide declaration >_> just a situationally appropriate thing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:06:48 am by Caz »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #65935 on: December 24, 2014, 03:00:55 am »

Updating my will at 7am seems like a weird thing to do. Yolo.
That's actually the most situationally appropriate use of "yolo" I've ever seen. Congratulations.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #65936 on: December 24, 2014, 03:35:23 am »

It's also my standard comment in RPGs when blowing all my money on healing potions.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65937 on: December 24, 2014, 07:01:23 am »

I finally caved to the medium-high strength painkiller my dental surgeon prescribed me, and....nothing. No consciously discernible effect. Not even drowsiness.

I think I may have gotten sugar pills. I wonder if pharmacies do that.
Upon some further research: Holy shit, I may in fact be naturally resistant/immune to opiates. I've never had anything based on them before this, so that could have conceivably slipped past me. That's....kind of bad, actually. Maybe something just went wrong with the one I took? Wisdom tooth recovery is hardly over, so I guess I'll try again later.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65938 on: December 24, 2014, 07:02:43 am »

Maybe try paracetamol?
._.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65939 on: December 24, 2014, 07:05:25 am »

Overheard at dinner the other night (from a group of college-age white girls):

"So, my mom found out she's half black but she didn't pass the gene on to me."
"Well, thank god for that!"

Thankfully, I didn't actually overhear this, my girlfriend's daughter did and told us as we were getting into the car. Which was good -- otherwise someone would have been wearing the green curry I was eating because LOLFAIL.
White college girls. So much to say about them.

I overheard a group discussing Ugg boots (for those out of the loop, the most stereotypical item of upper-middle-class-girl clothing of the last few years). What color matches which outfit, how many pairs each of them has. Good lord, it was like a South Park parody of the demographic.
Pffff. I wouldn't expect straight boys to understand fashion~

In all seriousness, it's a legitimate hobby. If they heard you going on about geeky stuff with your friends, they'd probably scoff and roll their eyes, too.
Pages: 1 ... 4394 4395 [4396] 4397 4398 ... 11037