Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4385 4386 [4387] 4388 4389 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14487788 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #65790 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:33 pm »

i bet you're this meta because of the government's mind control rays

* LordSlowpoke slams phmcw with a sheet of gold foil

i never called you a conspiracy theorist but hot damn now i will

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65791 on: December 21, 2014, 01:21:23 pm »

Also, Pisskop, Bigius Dickus.

It took me this long to figure out what about this bothered me.  You're calling me !!Big!!

I think you meant to say it in proper pseudo-Latin-ish.
'Dickius Bigus'

You see, Im the dick, and Im big.  I came to that realization in a steam room full of sweaty naked men ;)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65792 on: December 21, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »

why in the everloving fuck is there nothing remotely resembling a railway connection between northern and southern california?

am i just blind and unaware of the FREEDOMTASTIC transport methods that some nincompoops devised for gods know what reason

If I say "to make you use a car" will I be called a conspiracy theorist again?

Not particularly. The auto manufacturers in the U.S. participated in one power grab of that sort already that we know of when they bought up all of the urban electric streetcar networks and shut them down to increase their sales.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #65793 on: December 21, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

Also, Pisskop, Bigius Dickus.

It took me this long to figure out what about this bothered me.  You're calling me !!Big!!

I think you meant to say it in proper pseudo-Latin-ish.
'Dickius Bigus'

You see, Im the dick, and Im big.  I came to that realization in a steam room full of sweaty naked men ;)

I'm...not entirely sure if you're missing the reference  here

This one
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65794 on: December 21, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »

why in the everloving fuck is there nothing remotely resembling a railway connection between northern and southern california?

am i just blind and unaware of the FREEDOMTASTIC transport methods that some nincompoops devised for gods know what reason

Not particularly. The auto manufacturers in the U.S. participated in one power grab of that sort already that we know of when they bought up all of the urban electric streetcar networks and shut them down to increase their sales.
...and these companies were not shut down under anti-monopoly laws... why?
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65795 on: December 21, 2014, 01:29:04 pm »

What anti-monopoly laws?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65796 on: December 21, 2014, 01:41:49 pm »

...and these companies were not shut down under anti-monopoly laws... why?
If I had to take my guess, a mixture of corruption and apathy. The big effort at trustbusting and dealing with the railroad tycoons back at the tail end of the 19th century was the last time this country really made a substantial effort to stop powerful companies and the super-rich individuals controlling them from fucking the people. These days we're ignoring our legislature passing laws which make it easier for corporations and the rich to buy themselves more power. It's a rather depressing feedback loop. Within the current paradigm I'd not be surprised if it's outright impossible to effect real change at this point, since we're seeing the same gorram behavior from the pharmaceutical and insurance industries, among others.

3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #65797 on: December 21, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »

If I had to take my guess, a mixture of corruption and apathy. The big effort at trustbusting and dealing with the railroad tycoons back at the tail end of the 19th century was the last time this country really made a substantial effort to stop powerful companies and the super-rich individuals controlling them from fucking the people. These days we're ignoring our legislature passing laws which make it easier for corporations and the rich to buy themselves more power. It's a rather depressing feedback loop. Within the current paradigm I'd not be surprised if it's outright impossible to effect real change at this point, since we're seeing the same gorram behavior from the pharmaceutical and insurance industries, among others.
The sad thing is that it's that exact sense of inability to create real change that fosters the exact apathy that puts it into place.

Though we did manage to finally break the DeBeers cartel hold on the diamond market a few years back, so that's a good thing for anti-monopoly stuff.

@On California Public Transport
Another aspect that limit's California's ability for public transport is the fact that many of it's cities were constructed both after the invent of the automobile and expanded greatly during the "suburban craze" of people trying to move out of the cities (but still be close enough to work there). The result is a very decentralized design in most of their cities, that wrecks their ability to set up public transport (L.A. is a particularly good example of bad places for public transport, though it's certainly getting better). While this has much more of an effect on in-city public transport, it does have negative effects on intercity transport, after all, if there is no solid city center in many cities then where are you supposed to connect your train line to? And if a city doesn't have any good in-city public transportation then how are people supposed to get around the city they just caught the train into? If you are going to need to rent a car once you get to your destination anyways it lowers public transport uses by quite a bit, and then it gets caught in the vicious cycle of "people aren't using our public transport (because it sucks) so we aren't going to invest more money into it to make it better, so it still sucks and people aren't going to use it, and ...".

If anything I'd be more willing to place the blame on the city planners and public atmosphere when many of its cities were planned and expanded than on some sort of automobile conspiracy (which did influence public opinion somewhat, I'd guess :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65798 on: December 21, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »

Say what you want, the guy has taken the idea to its logical conclusion.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65799 on: December 21, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »

I'm trying to think of something relevant to say, but the idiocy is... causing me problems.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TUMBLR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65800 on: December 21, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »

Poe's Law strikes again. Because that also looks like an elegant way to troll SJWs with a trap between "but mah speshul u bigot no don't" vs. "we mean what we say, honest". So basically another thing which I'm going to refrain from more than casually sniping at, because I'm a coward who avoids arguments likely to result in rage not going to engage in another pointless fight but I still want to poke fun at the topic.

3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65801 on: December 21, 2014, 03:33:13 pm »

Is it bad that I've heard people use the term in a completely serious manner irl?  Both to refer to themselves and others.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #65802 on: December 21, 2014, 03:45:30 pm »

I'm trying to think of something relevant to say, but the idiocy is... causing me problems.
(I'd post, but my brain seized up after reading that.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #65803 on: December 21, 2014, 03:48:34 pm »

To be fair, things like being transgender would have been met with equal ridicule not that long ago.

*Edges away from the rotten tomatoes thrown in his direction*

Well, at least there wasn't an iron tomato in there :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #65804 on: December 21, 2014, 03:49:41 pm »

Something something extreme left something something.

You keep pushing, what do you expect to happen?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 4385 4386 [4387] 4388 4389 ... 11037