Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4340 4341 [4342] 4343 4344 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480692 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #65115 on: December 11, 2014, 04:03:38 pm »

Would a human from our world have the ability to learn magics should they end up in a world where it exists?  Surely there must be some logics for that.
Generally it goes one of three ways:

1. Systems are entirely compatible, magic is inherent to individuals but not universes. The energy that fuels Magic A can also fuel Magic B with no extra effort. A mundane from magicless Universe X can learn the magic of Universe Y except when that magic requires more specific conditions like fortune of birth. The system for bad wish-fulfillment fanfiction.

2. Systems are entirely incompatible, magic is inherent to both universes and individuals. Don't have magic in Universe R? Ain't gonna be able to learn it in Universe S. Know magic from Universe L? Sure, you can use it in Universe K, but don't expect to learn K-style magic or fuel K-style magic with L-verse energy. Know Magic O? Ain't gonna be able to learn Magic P. The system for creating reasonable OCPs and cultural misunderstandings.

3. Systems are disconnected, magic is inherent to universes rather than individuals. Know Magic E? Great, still gotta put in all the normal effort to learn Magic F. From magicless Universe U? Sure, you can learn magic in Universe V, but it ain't gonna carry over if you go back to Universe U. The system that's sorta shitty but not too shitty, a lukewarm medium.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #65116 on: December 11, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »

But Dice-sensei, which is the best magicks system?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65117 on: December 11, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »

Obviously the one that is the easiest to munchkin into achieving godhood with immortality and functionally limitless power.

Because honestly, why else would you want supernatural power? To light things on fire with your mind instead of kerosene and matches?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #65118 on: December 11, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »

There are people who seriously discuss the prospects of battle between Nazi Germany and First age Middle Earth - Tamriel alliance.

There are people who think that Nazi Germany could win that.

wut da fack
Ok... is this occuring in Nazi Germany, or the fantasy realms, or is there some kind of portal between them or something?

Because if Germany is actually physically present in this battle to provide supplies and stuff... yeah, they would win!

ME isn't even a contender because Tolkien made magic in that world rare and special; good from a writing perspective, not going to help orcs and gondorians against submachine guns.

Tamriel is... weird to even discuss, and depends on what you count as canon.  I don't even mean that from a lore perspective.  How big is Tamriel?  Do twenty people live in each city?  A hundred?  Or is actually thousands and the lack of people is just an engine limitation?  How common is magic?  Which portrayal of magic is real, which player uses of magic count as real or not?

Anyway, those games are based on the premise that one person who's skilled at one or two aspects of fantasy adventuring can kill hundreds of adult, armed humanoids in this world.  I think its pretty clear that Nazis would fuck shit up for most of the world, even if some fantasy weirdness did them in at the end.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65119 on: December 11, 2014, 04:32:28 pm »

A short sword blade edge is apparently 200 times bigger than the surface area of an average human upper body.

It's not a sword, it's a fucking shredder.

There are people who seriously discuss the prospects of battle between Nazi Germany and First age Middle Earth - Tamriel alliance.

There are people who think that Nazi Germany could win that.

wut da fack
Ok... is this occuring in Nazi Germany, or the fantasy realms, or is there some kind of portal between them or something?

Because if Germany is actually physically present in this battle to provide supplies and stuff... yeah, they would win!

ME isn't even a contender because Tolkien made magic in that world rare and special; good from a writing perspective, not going to help orcs and gondorians against submachine guns.

Tamriel is... weird to even discuss, and depends on what you count as canon.  I don't even mean that from a lore perspective.  How big is Tamriel?  Do twenty people live in each city?  A hundred?  Or is actually thousands and the lack of people is just an engine limitation?  How common is magic?  Which portrayal of magic is real, which player uses of magic count as real or not?

Anyway, those games are based on the premise that one person who's skilled at one or two aspects of fantasy adventuring can kill hundreds of adult, armed humanoids in this world.  I think its pretty clear that Nazis would fuck shit up for most of the world, even if some fantasy weirdness did them in at the end.
First age Middle Earth. The one with Morgoth in it. The one with armies of balrogs. The one with Numenor in it.

Nazis have nothing on this level of hax.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #65120 on: December 11, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »

Fuuuuuuuck I forgot about the Silmarillion.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65121 on: December 11, 2014, 04:38:17 pm »

Who the heck is Jifodus and how does he manage this...whatever it is he does?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65122 on: December 11, 2014, 04:39:56 pm »

Staying logged in?

I use my phone, and that works pretty well.

Since we're on stats: 

Male to Female Ratio:   13.2:1
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 04:42:03 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #65123 on: December 11, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »

Male to Female Ratio:   13.2:1
According to Toady, most of the kitchenbots are registered as female, so in reality it's even more skewed.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65124 on: December 11, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »

take into account that you can just not specify your gender

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65125 on: December 11, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »

take into account that you can just not specify your gender

Take this sovereign city-state from 7 years into the future as an example.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #65126 on: December 11, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »

A short sword blade edge is apparently 200 times bigger than the surface area of an average human upper body.

What, DF short swords? The contact area of the blade is measured in different units than the standard size of creatures, if I recall correctly.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65127 on: December 11, 2014, 05:12:17 pm »

What, DF short swords? The contact area of the blade is measured in different units than the standard size of creatures, if I recall correctly.
Not correct.

The contact area of an average human upper body is around 100. Contact area of a war hammer is 10. There's a variable accessable through DFHack which shows how much area has been damaged by the weapon, and after one good strike by a warhammer, it equals 10.

That's why all these values should not be hidden from our view. This is on the "9/10 creatures do not grow up probably" level of bullshit which could've been easily prevented if only we could actually see what's going on.
._.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65128 on: December 11, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »

Now hang on.  Do all weapons have values so high?  And if they do, do they scale?

i.e.  is the long sword contact area larger than the short sword but smaller than the 2hsword?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65129 on: December 11, 2014, 05:16:52 pm »

All edge weapons, especially on slash attacks.
The blunt weapons actually have more or less reasonable contact areas.

Not sure what you mean by "scale", though. Elaborate, please?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 4340 4341 [4342] 4343 4344 ... 11037