Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4303 4304 [4305] 4306 4307 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14482976 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #64560 on: December 05, 2014, 08:49:05 pm »

all the DLC
Pretty sure that's your problem
I could understand how that would bloat the file-size, but to 28 Gigs?  Dragon Age: Inquisiton wasn't even that large in file size but was freaking huge in game-play!

Oh well, just gotta wait out the 4 hour download, I suppose.  Luckily, I have Newgrounds audio portal.  Time to listen to crap from 2007 again.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #64561 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:48 pm »

inb4 someone mentions WoW's 40+ Gb download size
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64562 on: December 05, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »

I whined about FNV's 9 GBs a few days ago and got chewed up for it. 40 GB is big enough where yeah any complaints are justified.

Call Gamebryo games shitty and old but at least they're an order of magnitude smaller in download size.

I also never realized until the "quotation" filled post on the last page that FNV doesn't run on the same engine. I guess I can see that its graphics aren't as shiny, but in most respects they seem pretty similar if your graphics quality is restricted in the first place, as it is for me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:12:41 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64563 on: December 05, 2014, 09:31:05 pm »

NV runs on the same engine as 3 and Oblivion...

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64564 on: December 05, 2014, 09:38:43 pm »

I was sitting in my chair, I heard a noise, I looked behind me. There's a mouse on my sleeping bag. I calmly get out of my chair, walk downstairs and get my dog. Dog searches for mouse and chomps its little body. Dies without a sound. Stupid mouse must of been poisoned as hell since it didn't even run or really notice me or the dog.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64565 on: December 05, 2014, 09:44:05 pm »

... wouldn't dog nomming on a poisoned mouse be, uh. Bad?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64566 on: December 05, 2014, 09:45:10 pm »

Silly Frumple. Why would the mouse be poisoned with Dog Poison?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64567 on: December 05, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »

I was sitting in my chair, I heard a noise, I looked behind me. There's a mouse on my sleeping bag. I calmly get out of my chair, walk downstairs and get my dog. Dog searches for mouse and chomps its little body. Dies without a sound. Stupid mouse must of been poisoned as hell since it didn't even run or really notice me or the dog.

You think that's weird? I've looked down to find a mouse with its tail trapped in a mousetrap bumping against my foot in the library once.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64568 on: December 05, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »

I caught a mouse if my (almost) bare hands once. Poor things are really not that smart.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64569 on: December 05, 2014, 09:50:49 pm »

Got a mouse in my bedroom once. Took me an hour to catch the poor thing, after which I released it in the garden.

Took the cat a lot less than an hour afterwards >.<

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64570 on: December 05, 2014, 09:55:49 pm »

We once had a... mouse... hamster... fuzzy thing of indeterminable species running around the house on day. Scared the shit out of everyone, and it ran everywhere in broad daylight. Eventually caught it in a pot and let it go to the wild.

Then it came back. I think Earl (We have a snake under the house, he eats rats.) ate him after that.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64571 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:30 pm »

I whined about FNV's 9 GBs a few days ago and got chewed up for it. 40 GB is big enough where yeah any complaints are justified.

Call Gamebryo games shitty and old but at least they're an order of magnitude smaller in download size.

I also never realized until the "quotation" filled post on the last page that FNV doesn't run on the same engine. I guess I can see that its graphics aren't as shiny, but in most respects they seem pretty similar if your graphics quality is restricted in the first place, as it is for me.

Well, the same engine doesn't seem to constrain the graphics that much. Morrowind uses the same engine as Oblivion but it's been upgraded in the meantime.

For game size, the Total War series are my biggest issue. I think developers need to have a limit on space again so they start making better use of the space they have available. Pushing against limitations and all that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64572 on: December 06, 2014, 06:08:07 am »

Spoiler: "WHY doesn't it FIT!?" (click to show/hide)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64573 on: December 06, 2014, 06:26:12 am »

For game size, the Total War series are my biggest issue. I think developers need to have a limit on space again so they start making better use of the space they have available. Pushing against limitations and all that.

That's absurd. The primary users of space nowadays isn't the game world, underlying calculations, or anything else that could be improved by "making better use of space", it's pre-rendered  cinematics, 3d models, high quality sound (especially voice acting- two thirds of Dead Rising 3's appalling size in at least the PC release was the alternate-language voices) and high-resolution textures. None can be skimped on without MASSIVE decreases in quality, nor can they be compressed without unacceptable amounts of load time, although in the case of pre-rendered movies in-engine cutscenes can often prove quite acceptable, except in the case of strategy games such as Total War that have rather poor-quality in-game graphics at the individual unit level so that it can have huge numbers of units.

For an example, Shogun 2: Total War (which I've never gotten around to playing, and didn't even realize I own) takes up 23.0 gigs on my hard drive. Breaking down the largest space users, you have:

Movies: 5.82 GB
Character Models: 4.7 GB
Terrain model: 3.46 GB
Data (not sure what this is): 2.39 GB
Sound: 2.05 GB

Ignoring the data element, that comes to 16.0 GB, all of which is devoted to giving the player a good audiovisual experience. To put it another way, the game has only 7 gigs devoted to gameplay elements such as the physics and graphics engines, in game help, unit data, etc. The only way to decrease the footprint of modern games is to make them uglier.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64574 on: December 06, 2014, 06:30:29 am »

Huh. I just tried using Dwarf Fortress as another example, but as it turns out the media files in it are barely anything.
Pages: 1 ... 4303 4304 [4305] 4306 4307 ... 11037