Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4262 4263 [4264] 4265 4266 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448924 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #63945 on: November 23, 2014, 06:48:59 pm »

It's called luck. To use the obvious christianity as an example, if you had replaced OT YWHW with some other psychopathic rage beast that the text happened to claim is female (say, Lloth) you still probably would have the same results we have now, assuming it got the same historical breaks. That's really just about all there is to it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #63946 on: November 23, 2014, 06:52:25 pm »

Didn't whatever religion(s) Judaism originated from have both a male and a female god anyway?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63947 on: November 23, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »

They cribbed from the mythos of a few hundred earlier religions, so any question about the religions Abrahamic faith is derived from both needs and deserves the mathematician's answer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63948 on: November 23, 2014, 06:56:49 pm »

Didn't whatever religion(s) Judaism originated from have both a male and a female god anyway?
I've heard that the YWHW was originally a highly aggressive warrior god, which eventually absorbed the traits of all other gods in the pantheon until he became the omnipotent creator-type god that is so popular today.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63949 on: November 23, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

I've heard that the YWHW was originally a highly aggressive warrior god, which eventually absorbed the traits of all other gods in the pantheon until he became the omnipotent creator-type god that is so popular today.
I heard the same thing: YHWH was originally a tribal god (there's even some oblique references to the existence of other gods in the bible...), and then someone noticed that 'He's the best!' is easier to defend using the lemma 'He's the only one!'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63950 on: November 23, 2014, 07:12:12 pm »

I heard the same thing: YHWH was originally a tribal god (there's even some oblique references to the existence of other gods in the bible...), and then someone noticed that 'He's the best!' is easier to defend using the lemma 'He's the only one!'.
Here's the real question I have: does it matter to any major degree?  Any evidence we have nowadays of this would be tenuous at best, seeing as how most of the records of that time are gone, so I doubt there would be enough evidence to convince a rational thinker one way or the other.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #63951 on: November 23, 2014, 07:14:05 pm »

Ah yes, monolatry. IIRC the part about 'god hardening pharaoh's heart' in Exodus is one piece of evidence, with the original text having RA being the one doing the hardening, which has the added bonus of not making YHWH look like a massive ponce for no reason.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63952 on: November 23, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »

Also, on the note of other gods being mentioned in the Jewish texts: I think what that is trying to indicate, particularly since they and their priests rarely actually do anything, is to show that Adonai is the true god, and that these people believe in fakes.  I'm sure some Christians would interpret it as the devil in various guises luring other people astray.  I honestly don't know.

Also, why are we writing out the Jewish name for God, exactly.  That actually could offend some Orthodox Jews, so...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63953 on: November 23, 2014, 07:21:33 pm »

A large group of my friends has been involved in an ongoing game of internet Diplomacy for the last few days. I realized how far they've gone with it when I encountered them holding some kind of RL peace summit where two alliances were discussing the cession of Burgundy to the winning side in exchange for a truce.

I think the use of is to specifically differentiate the Hebrew and later Christian and maybe Muslim? (I'm a little lost on theology) god from the other hypothetical gods. For what it's worth, a lot of Jews apparently object to writing out "God", too, and do "G-d", so that's not an option.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:23:14 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63954 on: November 23, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »

Also, why are we writing out the Jewish name for God, exactly.  That actually could offend some Orthodox Jews, so...

Frumple likes saying it that way because he feels that saying God is a way of disassociating the Christian deity from the things that went down in the Old Testament because its bad PR.<-Slashed for potential inaccuracy. I may have been thinking of someone else.

EDIT: In his own words
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:25:07 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #63955 on: November 23, 2014, 07:24:36 pm »

Yeah, but what's reason behind that cultural difference?

Why in Europe, Middle East, India and even China (IIRC) the creator-type god is the father figure, while in Japan, it's the mother figure? What's the reason behind this abnormality?

That's not necessarily true though.

Remember that the creator figure in Greek mythology was a mother figure (mostly), which means that the ROMAN creator figure for a lot of history was a mother figure.  So most of Europe had a mother figure creator at one point.

Also remember that the Japanese don't/didn't exclusively believe in Shinto, they also imported Buddhism and Christianity, and mixed Shinto with Chinese beliefs.  Also reading the wikipedia article (I don't know a lot about Shinto) it looks like it has both a female and male creator figure.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63956 on: November 23, 2014, 07:25:32 pm »

I think the use of is to specifically differentiate the Hebrew and later Christian and maybe Muslim? (I'm a little lost on theology) god from the other hypothetical gods. For what it's worth, a lot of Jews apparently object to writing out "God", too, and do "G-d", so that's not an option.
I was more specifically asking why that name, I used the name Adonai for a reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63957 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:44 pm »

He definetly comes off as a war god at times in the bible.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63958 on: November 23, 2014, 11:14:15 pm »

He definetly comes off as a war god at times in the bible.

As an aside, some of you folks might enjoy reading Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. It's a really neat overview of the historical context in which the Bible's various books were written. It's informative without being the dreary academic slog you would imagine, because Asimov knew his way around a page.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63959 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:30 pm »

What is it with people thinking that I want them to stop doing what they're doing just because I disapprove of a part of it :I
Pages: 1 ... 4262 4263 [4264] 4265 4266 ... 11040