Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4255 4256 [4257] 4258 4259 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448989 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #63840 on: November 22, 2014, 03:25:48 am »

You know you really have no life when your nightmares only ever pertain to being late to work or school. Whenever I've had dreams recently they've been about school or work, and they've only ever been nightmares about being late. Not even about showing up in my underpants, just being late in general.

Just as a warning, the dreams about being late to school never end.  Ever.
No, eventually they get replaced with semi-unconscious paranoia about whether or not you remembered to set your alarm clock the night before; usually manifesting about 1-2 hours before you need to get up for work.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63841 on: November 22, 2014, 03:27:55 am »

I just want to stop feeling so insubstantial.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #63842 on: November 22, 2014, 03:54:13 am »

I just want to stop feeling so insubstantial.
OOOoooohhh, though that really seems like something that should go in the sad thread instead of the WTF one. :P

Muslim femnists are the best feminists.
Not to drag the whole thread down in a feminism related derail, but that article seems to basically boil down to "I'm still doing the traditional gender-biased ways, but because I'm choosing to do them they are now feminist!". To me that seems almost like as if a black person in the 60's said "I'm going to use the colored drinking fountain instead of the whites-only one, but because I'm choosing to drink out of it it makes me pro-civil rights". That right there is a WTF for me in it's own right.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63843 on: November 22, 2014, 04:04:51 am »

Not to drag the whole thread down in a feminism related derail, but that article seems to basically boil down to "I'm still doing the traditional gender-biased ways, but because I'm choosing to do them they are now feminist!". To me that seems almost like as if a black person in the 60's said "I'm going to use the colored drinking fountain instead of the whites-only one, but because I'm choosing to drink out of it it makes me pro-civil rights". That right there is a WTF for me in it's own right.

First, what it is saying that, just because the garments in question are mandated by force in some places, that does not make them patriarchal chains, any more than a woman wearing a dress instead of jeans is in our culture, and trying to force a woman NOT to wear them (as France as mandated) or condemning those who choose to do so, is antifeminist.

More importantly, a woman living her life and conducting herself as SHE feels is correct for her is the very definition of feminism.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #63844 on: November 22, 2014, 04:10:07 am »

Unfortunately, what is correct for one woman may not be correct for the powers that be.

For example, do you think a smack is a part of good parenting? The New Zealand Government thinks you should go to jail for it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #63845 on: November 22, 2014, 04:13:21 am »

First, what it is saying that, just because the garments in question are mandated by force in some places, that does not make them patriarchal chains, any more than a woman wearing a dress instead of jeans is in our culture, and trying to force a woman NOT to wear them (as France as mandated) or condemning those who choose to do so, is antifeminist.

More importantly, a woman living her life and conducting herself as SHE feels is correct for her is the very definition of feminism.
Yeah, I'd agree that forcing people not to wear them is definitely a bad thing, free choice and all. I definitely see where you are going with the idea, but IMO it still feels a lot more like a rationalization of the majority being expressed than an actual choice of individuals to me.

Edit: Small note that I thought I might clarify on. The thing that's throwing up warnings in my head isn't what she's saying so much as the particular way it is being expressed. It's just something that happens to trigger ideas in my head that won't necessarily match with the ones it does in yours. If that's the case feel free to ignore what I'm saying, it's more of a personal WTF than a popular one in that case.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:22:22 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63846 on: November 22, 2014, 04:45:38 am »

Unfortunately, what is correct for one woman may not be correct for the powers that be.

For example, do you think a smack is a part of good parenting? The New Zealand Government thinks you should go to jail for it.

I do not see the parallel.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #63847 on: November 22, 2014, 08:46:02 am »

Someone in a chat whispered me for no apparent reason: Balls in your mouth. I was eating meatballs at the time. I answered: ARE YOU A WIZARD? But he wasnt on anymore lol.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63848 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:52 am »

Teacher in communications class mentioned she 'loathed' something. Queue one chunk of the class asking what 'loath' means, and another thought she mispronounced 'love'.

During the test in that class, several students tried to call her over because they didn't understand the word 'plagiarism' in a question. Some couldn't even pronounce it, and were unable to recognize the word. It's worth noting that the question asked you to define what plagiarism was.

Also, I discovered that this cartoon exists.

Just wondering here, are a lot of the students speaking english as a second language? I can't decide whether it's that or a lot of the students are idiots.

Restricting what women can wear is different from restricting how you treat children.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:01:53 am by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63849 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:55 am »

._.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #63850 on: November 22, 2014, 10:32:09 am »

Ok, so my dad has the radio on whilst trying to play a game. Only problem is, the radio reception is rather inconsistent. The only place in the room where we get a decent signal happens to be on the floor near to where he is sitting.

Anyway, the reception is so sensitive, my dad gets an annoying humming from the radio when he uses the mouse. He lifts his hand to sort the radio out and the humming stops, so he puts his hand down.
The humming resumes.

He literally moves his hand three inches and the reception changes, meaning he can not play without an annoying humming noise over the radio.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #63851 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:06 am »

POOOOOOOLAAAAAAAAAND

Woooooow. *SOMEONE* on that council is a closet furry. Gee, I wonder who...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #63852 on: November 22, 2014, 10:35:15 am »

POOOOOOOLAAAAAAAAAND
Lol, this reminds me of Donald Duck being illegal in a ountry (i think a Scandinavian country but im not sure) because he doesn't wear pants.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63853 on: November 22, 2014, 10:36:01 am »

Ok, so my dad has the radio on whilst trying to play a game. Only problem is, the radio reception is rather inconsistent. The only place in the room where we get a decent signal happens to be on the floor near to where he is sitting.

Anyway, the reception is so sensitive, my dad gets an annoying humming from the radio when he uses the mouse. He lifts his hand to sort the radio out and the humming stops, so he puts his hand down.
The humming resumes.

He literally moves his hand three inches and the reception changes, meaning he can not play without an annoying humming noise over the radio.
Almost sounds like something isn't properly grounded.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #63854 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:50 am »

Or something's grounded that shouldn't be. But if moving the mouse is what causes it, it's probably not either.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 4255 4256 [4257] 4258 4259 ... 11040