Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4251 4252 [4253] 4254 4255 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448960 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #63780 on: November 20, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »

Caroline's adventures at highschool- Episode number:I lost count.

Come in to English today.
Dude is seating in my assigned seat. Tell him that is my seat.
He says something to the extent of "I have claimed this seat"
I say, "Well, I've come to reclaim it."
Whole class goes silent. People start making "OOOOOOOOOH" noises.
Dude starts screaming at me, saying that his chair had been taken and how come I am such a bad person and can't change seats. Teacher tells him to stop. He keeps screaming until he is kicked out of the class. Some time later, the principal calls me, and tells us to "end this fight with a handshake".

???
One of the many amazing things about some schools. 'You said something and they responded by going apeshit? Sorry, you're both SERIOUSLY at fault here. Now shake your hands because that always works.'
This only ever happened to me once. Kid slapped my hand away so I broke his nose. Ah, it was a different time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63781 on: November 20, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »

And so the facepunch was birthed.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #63782 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »

And still to this day, we see the tiny blot on the sun that his sizzling corpse still fuels
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63783 on: November 20, 2014, 06:00:56 pm »

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/an-open-letter-to-wikipedia

'Hey, we know you wrote your book, but unless someone else can verify it, the inspiration for one of your characters cannot be verified by you, the person that wrote the character.'
It makes sense. You can't link people just to something the author said. You need an actual source.
Why can't the source be something the author said? "X has said that Y was inspired by Z" can have a citation of an interview or something where X says that Y was inspired by Z. I don't understand why that's not good enough?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63784 on: November 20, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/an-open-letter-to-wikipedia

'Hey, we know you wrote your book, but unless someone else can verify it, the inspiration for one of your characters cannot be verified by you, the person that wrote the character.'
It makes sense. You can't link people just to something the author said. You need an actual source.
Why can't the source be something the author said? "X has said that Y was inspired by Z" can have a citation of an interview or something where X says that Y was inspired by Z. I don't understand why that's not good enough?
But the issue is that there wasn't an interview or something. He just contacted some people at Wikipedia and asked them to change it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #63785 on: November 20, 2014, 06:50:54 pm »

Funnily enough by writing the open letter to wikipedia he has created exactly what is needed to change it :P. By giving wikipedia a reliable secondary source other than wikipedia itself, they now have the source needed to cite for implementing the suggested changes.

And I can totally see where wikipedia is coming from. Without an actually published or recorded document stating that X is true, there is no way to leave a lasting record to show that X should be true over Y in the future. Elsewise the entirety of the change would be based on one guy saying "oh and I talked with the author and he asked me to change this, but I don't have any solid proof".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63786 on: November 20, 2014, 06:59:07 pm »

Especially since he put quite a bit of detail in that letter, they can probably expand that part of the page quite a lot.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #63787 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:06 pm »

Aaaaarrrg. Perhaps this should go in the Rage thread instead, but I'm so freaked out about it.

Our till in Tim Hortons got fried by a power outage. So all day we had one till.

We called a technician in to fix it, but after it broke three new ways he called in another technician to help, and the TWO of them couldn't get tit fixed.

Also, that was the till that controlled the Sandwich Screen, so as long as it wasn't working, the breakfast sandwich and bagel orders wouldn't display up there for the guy on the sandwich station (Which is me), so I had to ask constantly "what was that bagel?", and "what went on that?", to, like, everyone. They couldn't switch the controls for the screen to the other till, so I had about 20 minutes where my screen worked.

What makes this a WTF is the first on actually fixed it when he replaced the entire till, except for the hard-drive which he transferred over (because the information that confirms how much money we made is on it or something), and then 10 minutes later it froze, rebooted, and then shut down in the middle of rebooting and wouldn't turn on again. It was fixed, and then we were back at square one where it had been when I signed in in the morning. IT WAS FIXED, AND VIRTUALLY BRAND NEW, but it broke and showed the SAME SYMPTOMS. So of course the technician (who had left and had to come back in) suspected the hard drive and did a diagnosis on it, but that turned up nothing.

And our line was just as long, just as many customers, on half the number of tills, all day.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #63788 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »

I went into my sigtext and started reading quotes aloud when I was overcome with the urge to make a fake "Bay12 the Movie" trailer by taking the more cinematic lines and superimposing them over images of the quotees. Probably my favorite idea was taking this image:

and playing over it the quote:
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!

I should make this, but the idea made me WTF.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #63789 on: November 20, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »

Dude starts screaming at me, saying that his chair had been taken and how come I am such a bad person and can't change seats. Teacher tells him to stop. He keeps screaming until he is kicked out of the class. Some time later, the principal calls me, and tells us to "end this fight with a handshake".

???
One of the many amazing things about some schools. 'You said something and they responded by going apeshit? Sorry, you're both SERIOUSLY at fault here. Now shake your hands because that always works.'
The handshake is more on saying that there's no qualms in between the both of you instead of implying that BOTH have a fault there...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #63790 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:02 pm »

Listening to the YogPod.

People dug holes in their lawn because of this.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63791 on: November 21, 2014, 12:08:14 am »

???
The handshake is more on saying that there's no qualms in between the both of you instead of implying that BOTH have a fault there...
Yeah, the equal distribution of fault is where they suspend the person who put someone in the hospital and the person who was hospitalized for the same length of time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63792 on: November 21, 2014, 12:38:13 am »

While walking to class I ran into some guy peddling books. Said he was a monk on pilgrimage, was handing books to people interested in return for "donations" to help cover costs. Said it was a religion based out of India, similar to Buddhism, didn't catch the actual name of the religion though. I was kinda flustered throughout the whole deal, I wasn't expecting to talk to people on the way to class, much less a guy trying to sell me something.

Gave him five bucks, got a book out of it. Looking at the book afterwards, seems legit, book's called "Bhagavad Gita As It Is", sounds interesting, probably didn't get scammed. Looks like it's a book on the "Krishna Consciousness."

Still, was not expecting finding something like that on campus. Christians handing out pamplets on why you're going to hell or little pocketbooks of the New Testament, yeah, I could see that and have seen that, but not a guy saying he's a monk for Krishnaism.

As the resident forum Hare Krishna...

Hi.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #63793 on: November 21, 2014, 12:43:37 am »

Still, was not expecting finding something like that on campus. Christians handing out pamplets on why you're going to hell or little pocketbooks of the New Testament, yeah, I could see that and have seen that, but not a guy saying he's a monk for Krishnaism.
You only get pamphlets? Once I got an entire pocket copy of the new testament for free from some do-gooder christian outside my college's engineering building.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63794 on: November 21, 2014, 12:47:15 am »

I had some "9/11 was an inside job!" people on my campus a few days ago. One of them looked as though he hadn't shaved since 2001.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 4251 4252 [4253] 4254 4255 ... 11040