Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4245 4246 [4247] 4248 4249 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455854 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #63690 on: November 19, 2014, 01:57:14 am »

note: It's totally okay to own digital ROMs of games which you have purchased lawfully.

ROMs are totally awesome and I want to make something that rips sound files from them so I don't have to hunt the internet for my favorite songs.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #63691 on: November 19, 2014, 01:59:34 am »

So apparently Farcry 4 has a character called Amita Sarbeesian.
Let's just acknowledge this fact, and not discuss her because the last thread got locked.
I imagine that'll be handled about as tastefully as... all of FC3 was, really. Though probably closer in tone to Blood Dragon. Surprised a major dev is getting away with that sort of trolling, though.
...I don't get it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #63692 on: November 19, 2014, 02:04:53 am »

From the front page of BBC's website.
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141117-why-seals-have-sex-with-penguins
Seals discovered having sex with penguins.

Warning: You may find the videos in this story disturbing
O.O

wut
Cross-species sex in nature confirmed, time to make a law allowing the same for humans.

What? They said the same was the reason for allowing homosexuality, too.
That is not "the" reason.  The concept that there is a single reason is ridiculous.  The act of sex/romance between gay individuals has already been various degrees of accepted or not accepted for all of recorded history.  The concept of homosexuality as an identity is FAR more recent but that's irrelevant because any society so oppressive as to make identifying as gay illegal isn't going to have people openly talking about it.

What you're thinking of came far after the start of the legal debates, even in the modern US.  That is, when two male penguins at the zoo have sex with each other (or whatever, I'm sure there were other examples), people point at it and say "see, homosexuality sex IS natural."  Its not because anyone on either side actually thinks human behavior should be modeled off penguins, its because fundamentalists keep saying things like "homosexuality is unnatural" and people want a response to that.  The whole debate is stupid (natural does not equal good) but it was decidedly initiated by the opponents to homosexual rights, rather than the proponents.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63693 on: November 19, 2014, 03:00:42 am »

AC: Rogue is the 6th best selling game in the UK.

[cans.wav]
IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET AND THE LAST ONE WAS SHIT, BUT YOU MORONS ARE JUST GOING TO LAP IT OFF THE BOOT OF BIG BUSINESS ANYWAY? JESUS CHRIST, IT'S LIKE THEY NEVER LEARN!
[/cans.wav]
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #63694 on: November 19, 2014, 03:22:20 am »

Wait, they're making another AC game? The last one only came out like... last month?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #63695 on: November 19, 2014, 03:25:20 am »

Wait, they're making another AC game? The last one only came out like... last month?
And this one actually has Boats.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #63696 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:39 am »

Wasn't that Black Flag? AKA "Assassin's Creed: Holy Hell, Why The Fuck Did They Not Just Make A Pirate Game Instead"?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #63697 on: November 19, 2014, 03:29:27 am »

And here I am, still playing the first AC.

How do people even finish those games man, they're long as fuck.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63698 on: November 19, 2014, 03:35:25 am »

AC1 is just the same thing repeated, like, 6 times.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #63699 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:30 am »

I know right? It's awesome.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #63700 on: November 19, 2014, 03:49:29 am »

Wasn't that Black Flag? AKA "Assassin's Creed: Holy Hell, Why The Fuck Did They Not Just Make A Pirate Game Instead"?
Pretty much.
YARRRRRRRRRR
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #63701 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:46 am »

AC1: New and great, but seriously unpolished
AC2: Same thing, but polished, longer, more varied and with (relatively) more human characters
Brotherhood: Exact same thing with same main character, but now with suprisingly good multiplayer ripped off an indie game, and terribad single player.
Revelations: Actually the exact same thing as the past two games, no real point to this one besides money for Ubisoft
AC3: Different, but also kinda worse
Black Flag: ♪♫ DO WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE, YOU ARE A PIRATE ♫♪♫
Unity: Female hoods are hard to animate.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63702 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:26 am »

Honestly why are people so hung up on powers in comic books?

Shouldn't it really just be the storytelling that determines whether or not the character is worthwhile?

I mean no one burns down the Sandman comics for having characters who are cosmic overlords...

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #63703 on: November 19, 2014, 05:16:52 am »

Yes, it's not about the characters' powers and other good things about them. A character is defined by his/her/its flaws, and how well they are written. Whether they're physical, such as Superman's weakness to Kryptonite, or mental, such as his Chronic Hero Syndrome, or social, such as Lois Lane being suspiciously easy to kidnap, does not matter a lot. Just that they're there to prevent the character from solving the story's conflict without any effort. Even a character who is a cosmic overlord is fine, as long as nobody can ask, "Why doesn't he just use his power X to solve problem Y?"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #63704 on: November 19, 2014, 05:29:47 am »

Yes, it's not about the characters' powers and other good things about them. A character is defined by his/her/its flaws, and how well they are written. Whether they're physical, such as Superman's weakness to Kryptonite, or mental, such as his Chronic Hero Syndrome, or social, such as Lois Lane being suspiciously easy to kidnap, does not matter a lot. Just that they're there to prevent the character from solving the story's conflict without any effort. Even a character who is a cosmic overlord is fine, as long as nobody can ask, "Why doesn't he just use his power X to solve problem Y?"
There is a copy of some very old Superman comics in a book in my library. This is from back when Superman really was invincible and just walked through walls with bullets bouncing off. Back then, the only concerns he had was minimizing death and keeping his identity secret. It was good fun to read, being free from power angst was a blessing.
That said, you make an excellent point - there is a reason they started giving him flaws.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers
Pages: 1 ... 4245 4246 [4247] 4248 4249 ... 11040