Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4235 4236 [4237] 4238 4239 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462002 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #63540 on: November 17, 2014, 05:16:58 pm »

As for the original concept, in which the original copy is destroyed, that essentially kills you and leaves a copy. A computer harddrive with the same data on it may function the same, but the two separate harddrives are still that-separate.
Nobody cares whether they are separate or not, as long as they do the same thing. Your definition of "original" is hence perfectly useless, which means that you will never be able to derive any meaningful statements using that definition.

I love it when things are perfectly useless. Such perfection with no function! :P

But nah, of course they do. When things are separate, they go through separate things. A hard drive may start with the same stuff won't end with it. A human teleported and destroyed will experience different things than their original would have done.
That's because things are defined by their surroundings.

Let's take a mental experiment: take a random person, make an exact copy ofthat person and then put them both through the exactly same physical experiences (down to a quantum level; yes, this is impossible in reality, but - thought experiment). Will they end up different, or the same?

Different. Every decision a human makes is almost random, based around some natural/imposed restrictions. There are a variety of viable options that exist within a given situation which could equally be chosen. For example, one could check the window, the other the door.

Why are you so sure of that? After all, I have two identical humans experience the exact same physical situation (let's pretend for a moment quantum uncertainty doesn't exist), what process will break the symmetry between the two?

._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #63541 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:40 pm »

Different options. If the people are the same, and they view say 50 options as equally valid, they're not likely to both choose the same one.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63542 on: November 17, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »

No. Just like there are no real benefits to being a different person entirely, e.g. if you took some DNA and created a new person from the original. They would have no benefit over the original. We're not arguing benefit, really, just that they would in effect be different people, albeit very slightly at first.
Well you're a different person to an hour ago, and an hour before that. I don't see you saying that you're against the progression of time though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63543 on: November 17, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »

I got a phone call today.  The caller ID said "New York Human."  I picked up.  Nobody was on the other end.  Then a machine said "Goodbye" and hung up.
The spambots grow bolder.
They're in this thread sire!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63544 on: November 17, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »

Different options. If the people are the same, and they view say 50 options as equally valid, they're not likely to both choose the same one.
But what option a person chooses is based on his physical condition. By maintaining the exact same physical conditions, you ensure that they both make the same choices.

There's the example of reverse btw. Using magnets to affect moral choices made by people.
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63545 on: November 17, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »

No. Just like there are no real benefits to being a different person entirely, e.g. if you took some DNA and created a new person from the original. They would have no benefit over the original. We're not arguing benefit, really, just that they would in effect be different people, albeit very slightly at first.
Well you're a different person to an hour ago, and an hour before that. I don't see you saying that you're against the progression of time though.

Being against the progression of time is an alien concept, but were it to keep me at this exact state forever? I doubt I could see much wrong with it, given it would avoid the problems associated with death and losing family from immortality.

And yea, I'm a different person from a year before. That person is dead, and he'd heavily object to me taking his place. Unfortunately, I did, and someone will take mine. But the thing is, just like teleportation, me and past-me are different people.

But what option a person chooses is based on his physical condition. By maintaining the exact same physical conditions, you ensure that they both make the same choices.

There's the example of reverse btw. Using magnets to affect moral choices made by people.

Okay. But the same person with his double in the same room, even under the influence of magnets, will still have options open to them, and may choose different options, if they are all of similar merit. If they were constrained to two options, then it's still likely one will choose the other...but then you get to the fact that each is deciding how to regulate their breathing, each is moving muscles to relax them at different times (Given that, no matter their similarity, they're still going to change at least slightly different times in which to move, and not be in complete sync.) Being in complete sync would very likely in itself make them try to stop being in sync, as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:34:46 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63546 on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »

That person is dead, and he'd heavily object to me taking his place.
Really? That must suck.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63547 on: November 17, 2014, 05:46:07 pm »

Being against the progression of time is an alien concept, but were it to keep me at this exact state forever? I doubt I could see much wrong with it, given it would avoid the problems associated with death and losing family from immortality.

And yea, I'm a different person from a year before. That person is dead, and he'd heavily object to me taking his place. Unfortunately, I did, and someone will take mine. But the thing is, just like teleportation, me and past-me are different people.

Okay. But the same person with his double in the same room, even under the influence of magnets, will still have options open to them, and may choose different options, if they are all of similar merit. If they were constrained to two options, then it's still likely one will choose the other...but then you get to the fact that each is deciding how to regulate their breathing, each is moving muscles to relax them at different times (Given that, no matter their similarity, they're still going to change at least slightly different times in which to move, and not be in complete sync.) Being in complete sync would very likely in itself make them try to stop being in sync, as well.
Thought experiment, dude. Perfect copy means perfect copy, and exact same conditions means exact same conditions, and since those conditions include any universal RNGs, every person's actions are deterministically fixed (up to an uncollapsed quantum distribution), so the two people will always stay perfectly in sync.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63548 on: November 17, 2014, 05:52:09 pm »

I smell a philosophy shitfest what's being discussed
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63549 on: November 17, 2014, 05:54:36 pm »

That person is dead, and he'd heavily object to me taking his place.
Really? That must suck.

Nah, I let him out for walks now and then.

But shush, everyone thinks he's already buried.

-snip-

Not necessarily. All exact same conditions means is exact same opportunities. One person, as I've said before, may choose a different thing than the original if it were of equal merit.

You could argue that exact same means they have to choose the exact same path...but that seems unlikely. That makes it seem like every life is heading on a straight, predetermined path as the one option they choose is the option they'll always choose, given they'll always be under the exact same conditions as an identical under the exact same circumstances-which I find unlikely. An identical person may deviate from the original's decisions, simply through whimsy, or a slight difference in the balancing of options.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63550 on: November 17, 2014, 06:00:07 pm »

As I said, since the RNG for the human's behaviour (if it is even non-trivial) is copied along with the human, the behaviour will be the same too.

Any universe without any external factors is deterministic, and any universe with external factors can be converted to one without external factors simply by redefining the scope of the universe to include those external factors. Now since the deterministic universe is a condition, it will be copied along with the human, and the two universes will proceed in perfect unison.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63551 on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:27 pm »

Oh, man. Free will vs. determinism. You should probably take this to another thread before it gets even more out of hand, folks. This kinda mess is what the philosophy and religion threads are for.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63552 on: November 17, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »

Heh, fair enough. Neither theory, free will or deterministic, are essentially unprovable and have no bearing whatsoever on life.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63553 on: November 17, 2014, 06:07:30 pm »

Oh, man. Free will vs. determinism. You should probably take this to another thread before it gets even more out of hand, folks. This kinda mess is what the philosophy and religion threads are for.
Or, y'know, just stop. All these thoughts have been hashed out a million times, there's no use repeating that without any new input.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63554 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »

So there is actually a serious chance that I might move to Australia. And I'm not sure that I really want to leave Maryland, but...
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 4235 4236 [4237] 4238 4239 ... 11040