Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4183 4184 [4185] 4186 4187 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14437679 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #62760 on: November 10, 2014, 03:38:55 pm »

Heck, just the fact that people talk about concentration camps indicates how skewed the Western perspective on the Holocaust is. Something like 3/4th of the victims were dead before the end of 1943, and a vast number of the deaths (as well as, proportionally, most of the mass shootings) occurred in Eastern Europe in places that a lot of westerners have never heard of. Half the reason that Auschwitz is "our" vision of the Holocaust is because people actually survived going to Auschwitz (though all those death camps in Poland &c. going behind the Iron Curtain after WWII ended didn't help things either, nor did many of them being dismantled).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62761 on: November 10, 2014, 03:47:59 pm »

I was a bit worried that this whole "The Nazi's were actually OK" thing stemmed from my WTF a few pages back about discovering my Grandfather helped liberate a concentration camp in WW2. Reading back a page or two, I am glad that it is nothing to do with that.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62762 on: November 10, 2014, 03:51:37 pm »

They wouldn't have exterminated the Polish - to have a master race you need slaves after all. I believe one of the higher-up Nazis once said something like "The Poles only need to be able to count to 100. The Russians only need to be able to count to ten." about the education of the Polish and Russian population under German occupation.

On the subject of being able to look away: Compare medieval torture devices and those used by modern totalitarian regimes. The medieval ones were very much hands-on, with the torturer immediately inflicting pain on the tortured. But all the torture chambers of the Gestapo were designed for 'hands-off' torture, allowing the torturer to escape any negative emotional repercussions. It's much easier to lock a guy in a room so small he can't stand upright filled to thirty centimeters with ice-cold water with a German shepherd than putting them on the rack.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62763 on: November 10, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »

Same for the killing - herding people into a "shower" chamber where they would be gassed out of sight it a lot easier to put to one side emotionally than hands on stabbing/burning alive.
This is a blank sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #62764 on: November 10, 2014, 03:58:19 pm »

Heck, just the fact that people talk about concentration camps indicates how skewed the Western perspective on the Holocaust is. Something like 3/4th of the victims were dead before the end of 1943, and a vast number of the deaths (as well as, proportionally, most of the mass shootings) occurred in Eastern Europe in places that a lot of westerners have never heard of. Half the reason that Auschwitz is "our" vision of the Holocaust is because people actually survived going to Auschwitz (though all those death camps in Poland &c. going behind the Iron Curtain after WWII ended didn't help things either, nor did many of them being dismantled).

There's also the (partially successful) attempt by nazi apologists and hardcore anticommunists to muddy the water on who was actually responsible for most of the Eastern European massacres, with many being blamed on Stalin's Soviet Union. It doesn't help, of course, that there were many massacres that were indisputibly Soviet, and there's a reason Hitlers forces were initially welcomed as liberators, before the SS moved in and proved to be even worse than the NKVD.

@Hegoland

I've seen statements attributed to Hitler where he outright stated that he planned to deal with Poles and "Slavs" in a rather permanent manner, and a few others where it was pretty heavily implied, even before the war. Not Peace But A Sword (published in early 1939 as a call for an immediate first strike against the Reich) presented several speeches where Jews and Poles were referred to in the same terms, and included some variant of the phrase "Jews first, then the Poles". It should be pointed out that this particular book predicted the Holocaust down to casualty totals, propaganda methods, and in a few cases dates.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62765 on: November 10, 2014, 04:13:45 pm »

I wonder if any of the Nazi planners used that as pert of the planning.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62766 on: November 10, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »

I am apparently the only person in my grade who knows what a fjord is, judging by a geography review game we played in History today. Even the teacher didn't know what a fjord is.

thx 4 the halp slartibartfast
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62767 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:47 pm »

Kids these days didn't watch "Pinky & the Brain"...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62768 on: November 10, 2014, 06:44:55 pm »

Hell, back in 8th grade English I was the only one that knew a group of crows was called a "murder", not a flock.

Kids are dumb these days.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62769 on: November 10, 2014, 06:48:04 pm »

Hell, back in 8th grade English I was the only one that knew a group of crows was called a "murder", not a flock.

Kids are dumb.
I fixed it for ya.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #62770 on: November 10, 2014, 06:49:16 pm »

Re: Moral Relativism

I've found that the best heuristic for approximating universal laws of morality is figuring out what people try to rationalize and come up with euphemisms for. To go with our running example, nobody's okay with genocide, so call it something else. I mean, you do wind up in some tricky situations when you try to define what constitutes rationalizations and euphemisms (I wouldn't agree with a Libertarian on how to classify taxes, for example), but it's served me a lot more reliably and simply than anything else I've worked out, and at least the "look at how people behave" gives me a basis for empiricism that the usual approach of "The things I think are fundamental are universal, obviously" lacks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62771 on: November 10, 2014, 06:51:08 pm »

Literally at the other end of the library hall.
Parent: "what does a fire need to burn?"
Kid: "Air!"
Parent: "And what's in air that makes it burn?"
Kid: "...Fire?"

Good god.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62772 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:01 pm »

Kids these days, man.

My favorite line from a little kid is what John Cleese's daughter supposedly said during the filming of the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
Quote from: Cleese Jr.
Daddy doesn't like that man, does he?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62773 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:17 pm »

Good luck making air burn WITHOUT fire. :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62774 on: November 10, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »

Kid needs to know about his phlogiston.
Pages: 1 ... 4183 4184 [4185] 4186 4187 ... 11040