Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4182 4183 [4184] 4185 4186 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14437412 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #62745 on: November 10, 2014, 01:30:58 pm »

There was some weird theater thing at my school about world war 1 (it sort of sucked, my best friend was literally sleeping for most of it), and at the end they showed some war graves.
Thing is, some of the war graves were German war graves (ok so far) in Normandy from WW2. I know because I actually visited them :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62746 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:22 pm »

Well, I can add the phone ringing to the list things that set off my mom's boyfriend.

He started screaming at her after it started ringing. I think it might be because no-one ever phones the house for him.

He also blamed her for things that his son said to him yesterday. He was screaming at his son after they did some yard work because his son didn't do it as perfectly as he would have liked, so his son stood up for himself.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62747 on: November 10, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »

People like that deserve to be punched down. Literally.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #62748 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »

Moral relativism is dumb. Wanting a five hundred word version of that four word sentence is even worse.

Better than moral absolutism.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62749 on: November 10, 2014, 02:17:21 pm »

I prefer the mixture of the two that basically comes down to "Because of our shared social ancestry in pre-homo apes, the really big stuff, like murder, rape, stealing, lying, most people agree they're (generally) wrong, unless they're mentally ill or in extraordinary circumstances. The rest of it tends to be cultural."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #62750 on: November 10, 2014, 02:18:41 pm »

If it was me I'd argue that even the Nazi found the concentration camp horrifying.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62751 on: November 10, 2014, 02:19:57 pm »

I prefer the mixture of the two that basically comes down to "Because of our shared social ancestry in pre-homo apes, the really big stuff, like murder, rape, stealing, lying, most people agree they're (generally) wrong, unless they're mentally ill or in extraordinary circumstances. The rest of it tends to be cultural."
Yea, I think something similar.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62752 on: November 10, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »

Moral relativism is dumb. Wanting a five hundred word version of that four word sentence is even worse.

I prefer moral dadaism.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62753 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »

I prefer moral dadaism.
It's okay to steal, because my fish is blue.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62754 on: November 10, 2014, 02:27:38 pm »

Yea, I think something similar.
Though, I should that I think all the murder, etc., rules are still relative, just that we should follow them. They're not absolute laws, but they should be as close as we can make them.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62755 on: November 10, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »

If it was me I'd argue that even the Nazi found the concentration camp horrifying.
True believers? No. Remember, too, that the camp system got its start well before they began racial purification, as a way to isolate and indoctrinate members of their society. Likewise, the death camps were a way to avoid the psychological effects of participating in mass shootings that they ran in to earlier. As far as most of Germany was concerned, the death camps were something along the lines of, "We know enough to know that we don't want to know." (Though again this doesn't really account for things like the mass flood of letters and pictures sent home by soldiers about killing POWs and various undesirables.)

Admittedly, it's a nice little trap for the ones clever enough to suspect the "obvious" answer of 'no' is a trap but not clever enough to read the class materials or pay attention.
A trap?
The obvious answer to, "Is it morally acceptable to stop Nazis from committing genocide?" is yes. A student who has something between their skull will think that that is too obvious if it's left to their common sense; ergo, a clever student who has not payed attention to the class will answer "yes" because it's the opposite of the obvious answer, while one who has will answer "no" for the reason previously mentioned.

Though given that most moral relativists tend to be anthropologists and the like trying to excuse horrendous practices because they're part of a given culture, they'd probably answer "yes" because if you interfere with Nazis committing genocide, you also interfere with systematic child abuse, genital mutilation, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62756 on: November 10, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »

I prefer moral dadaism.
Have you ever tried reading Camus? As far as I can tell he advocates absurdism, which is kinda like that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62757 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:54 pm »

I prefer moral dadaism.
Have you ever tried reading Camus? As far as I can tell he advocates absurdism, which is kinda like that.
L'Étranger is basically the only French literature I find bearable.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62758 on: November 10, 2014, 03:11:34 pm »

Admittedly, it's a nice little trap for the ones clever enough to suspect the "obvious" answer of 'no' is a trap but not clever enough to read the class materials or pay attention.
A trap?
The obvious answer to, "Is it morally acceptable to stop Nazis from committing genocide?" is yes. A student who has something between their skull will think that that is too obvious if it's left to their common sense; ergo, a clever student who has not payed attention to the class will answer "yes" because it's the opposite of the obvious answer, while one who has will answer "no" for the reason previously mentioned.
Regardless of the answer, I don't think that's the kind of thing where you can be wrong, exactly. Especially when the context is moral relativism.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #62759 on: November 10, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

True believers? No. Remember, too, that the camp system got its start well before they began racial purification, as a way to isolate and indoctrinate members of their society. Likewise, the death camps were a way to avoid the psychological effects of participating in mass shootings that they ran in to earlier. As far as most of Germany was concerned, the death camps were something along the lines of, "We know enough to know that we don't want to know." (Though again this doesn't really account for things like the mass flood of letters and pictures sent home by soldiers about killing POWs and various undesirables.)

It should be noted that the entire reason they were called concentration camps is because it was an innocuous-sounding name that wouldn't raise any red flags, the same reason why the British invented the term during the Boer War. The entire system was buried in euphemism, double meaning, and outright lies for the sole purpose of allowing those not directly involved not to look at it directly. Note that it wasn't until the 1943 Warsaw Ghetto Uprising that a significant number of Jews began actively resisting (as opposed to Anne-Frank style passive resisting by hiding) "relocation", and that wasn't due to any passivity among the Jews themselves. They simply weren't aware that the camps were designed to wipe them out, and believed that their chances were better if they tried to survive the no-doubt harsh conditions than if they tried to fight back. For that matter, many of the things Hitler said during the war strongly suggest that a "Final Solution to The Polish Question", would have taken place once the war had been won and he was finished with the Jews, gays, and Romani.

The use of extermination camps wasn't, by itself, a replacement for the mass shootings such as Babi Yar, and IIRC some of the early camps used shooting for their executions.  They introduced the death truck and the gas chamber to make it easier on the guards after the extermination camps were already in place.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 4182 4183 [4184] 4185 4186 ... 11040