Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4153 4154 [4155] 4156 4157 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14440428 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #62310 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »

College.

Geeze, I suppose that might pass for highschool level BS, but college level and big words? Cpme on.....

The no images is probably reasonable, maybe she had too many instances of images that others found offensive and decided to avoid it alltogether. You could ask your professor about it.

I don't get the no using colors part, trying to be respectful of color blind people? I don't get it either.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62311 on: November 04, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »

College.

And I'm guessing that the forum time doesn't account for Daylight Savings Time. It's an hour off for me too.
Thing is, when I go to fix the time, it says at the example that it's "19:52" or what have you.
Profile->Look and Layout->Time Format->Change to whatever you want. Sounds like whatever you currently have it set on uses 24 hour time.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62312 on: November 04, 2014, 08:25:30 pm »

Um.

I did that on purpose.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62313 on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »

College.

If I ever had a professor who censored student work to prevent them from using "big words", I'd be reporting them to their department chair. That's some of the most asinine bullshit I've seen come out of academia, and academia is a giant factory complex devoted to generating heaping piles of bullshit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62314 on: November 04, 2014, 08:35:40 pm »

nvm

Also, to me, 'big words' would be really technical stuff, nothing on that list comes off as 'big words' to me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:41:39 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62315 on: November 04, 2014, 08:46:50 pm »

Honestly how do you people hold grudges?

I tried has hard as I could and couldn't hate someone, who did something freeken terrible to me, for more then two days.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62316 on: November 04, 2014, 08:51:57 pm »

Also, to me, 'big words' would be really technical stuff, nothing on that list comes off as 'big words' to me.

I don't think the words are all that confusing either, but it managed to stump my partners. I had to define several of them while they were proof-reading my work.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62317 on: November 04, 2014, 08:59:02 pm »

What.

Please, please tell me how these people got into college.

What words were they having trouble wiht?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62318 on: November 04, 2014, 09:01:27 pm »

The very same ones I had mentioned earlier. I still haven't taken them out of my work, though in all likelihood my partners have taken them out of their copies of my report.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62319 on: November 04, 2014, 09:04:07 pm »

Wait, that entire list?

You, good sir, are working with future politicians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62320 on: November 04, 2014, 09:07:40 pm »

This. This right here is why I detest this yuppie-driven notion that everyone should (and now, because of that, has to) attend university. It's devalued undergrad degrees by making them equivalent to what high school diplomas used to be. I don't have any data, but I don't think it would be entirely inaccurate to place some of the blame for declining standards in secondary school on the expectation that everyone who'll do something with their life will attend university (and thus pick up a lot of what they don't cover). It's also completely screwed the financial stability of a generation or more of young people who have no reason to need a degree beyond this new expectation that anyone wanting to work above entry-level wage-slavery needs one, regardless of whether it's relevant to their work.

You know what we need more of? Trade schools. That's a more reliable way for people who aren't interested in postgraduate work than a fucking business degree or whatever to secure a well-paying job. Hell, we need to remove the stigma from not seeking education beyond high school, not least because history has shown that people are perfectly capable of turning a high school education into a successful career without dropping tens of thousands of dollars of debt on their backs for a meaningless bachelor's.

Moreover, and I'm trying to not come off as arrogant here, but there are a lot of people at university who really don't belong in an academic environment (and pretty clearly don't enjoy it). Forcing them to pay to do something they dislike and will probably not use much if at all is a waste of time for everyone involved: them, their classmates, their professors, and the university. Of course, it's to the benefit for universities to shovel through a bunch of four-and-done students to help make up for lack of funding (or, often as not, poor financial practices).

3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #62321 on: November 04, 2014, 09:16:44 pm »

You know what we need more of? Trade schools.
Yes.

I agree with everything you just said, FD, but especially this in particular.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #62323 on: November 04, 2014, 10:19:04 pm »

It's called the rise of technology and macroeconomics.

With machines replacing the low specialization/ low skill workforce, more emphasis is placed on people who could perform more complex jobs

Basically this article
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62324 on: November 04, 2014, 11:22:25 pm »

If that was in reference to what I said, I'll reiterate: most careers do not require a potential employee to spend four years at a university, only one (maybe!) of which will be relevant to their job for any reason other than that they've been told they should. That unhealthy notion itself sprung from the culture of the generation which gave birth to the '80s-'90s kids, more or less, which developed this notion that the way to ensure your children had a good future was to send them to university, which would fast-track them to a high-paying job... except that that is meaningless when everyone who can push grades for scholarship money, get a student loan, &c. can get the same degree.

Literally all that happened was that the cost of entry into the real workforce was raised by thousands of dollars. Jobs have not suddenly become more complex across a broad spectrum in the last twenty to thirty years, and even if they had, they still wouldn't require three years of broad-and-shallow general education on top of secondary school. Because news flash: there have always been complex jobs. The only difference is, it used to be that you were taught how to perform a job when you were hired, rather than being required to jump through financial and social-networking hoops before... being taught how to perform the same job when you are hired because an undergraduate degree will almost never provide the full body of knowledge to perform a job unless it's... a trade school.

Which, incidentally, is the way to deal with any jobs which are right at that lukewarm level of complexity between "You need no special education to perform your job," and "Come see us when you have your Master's/doctorate,": trade school. Except don't call it trade school, wouldn't want to offend the future white-collar workers. Incidentally, that's more or less what law school is: trade school for those going into the legal profession (with an extra year of bullshit tacked on, according to the vast majority of law professors I've spoken with regarding it--more than a few advocate for making it an independent two-year deal without the undergrad requirement or fluff), plus the requirement to waste four years doing an undergraduate degree which will at best provide a bit of support for future law students insofar as that it gets the most basic concepts out of the way.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 4153 4154 [4155] 4156 4157 ... 11040