Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4062 4063 [4064] 4065 4066 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433205 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #60945 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:31 am »

Personal-sized shields in the Star Wars verse are ridiculous energy drains, which is why you don't see them more often. As far as droidekas are concerned, the shield seems to be projected from the top of the ball-shaped "waist", which is probably why they can't be used while rolling, and if my memories of the movies are correct they can't even use the shields while walking around (which to me implies that the shield requires a stable platform to work with). The droids are supposed to roll into place and then deploy as a sort of light turret, not be a standard foot soldier.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60946 on: October 18, 2014, 01:03:37 am »

IIRC, they emit a ton of radiation, so they're unsuitable for use by people.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60947 on: October 18, 2014, 01:04:02 am »

Books are always great whence violent.

Dark Tower was amazing for a reason.

The thing that dragged me into it was when Roland
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #60948 on: October 18, 2014, 01:06:28 am »

Nnnnnnoooooo? I doubt it.

Also, can I point out that a lot of Star-wars stuff mercilessly slaughters the empire and it's forces, especially the Stormtroopers.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem, if THEY WEREN'T PEOPLE AND NOT CLONES.

Everything the rebels do is justified from their perspective, even the massive loss of life in the Death Star.  I mean think about what it represents and what it did, plus it was a military installation.

That being said... think about how mad people in real life get about 9/11 and then compare that to, in universe, how mad people would get about Alderaan getting blown up and then the Death Star being blown up with its massive crew on board.  The imperial supporters would try to justify the destruction of Alderaan, while the rebel sympathizers would try to justify blowing up the Death Star.  And of course since both those things involved massive loss of life, and lots of people probably knew someone who died... well, there would be violence in the streets at the mention of the Death Star.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #60949 on: October 18, 2014, 01:08:06 am »

Personal-sized shields in the Star Wars verse are ridiculous energy drains, which is why you don't see them more often. As far as droidekas are concerned, the shield seems to be projected from the top of the ball-shaped "waist", which is probably why they can't be used while rolling, and if my memories of the movies are correct they can't even use the shields while walking around (which to me implies that the shield requires a stable platform to work with). The droids are supposed to roll into place and then deploy as a sort of light turret, not be a standard foot soldier.
Well, I know in Battlefront you could walk freely with your shield up, at least. You were slow as molasses when you weren't a ball, but still.
Even then, the Droidekas should still see waaay more use than they do; a number of other kinds of droids serving as a vanguard to hold back the enemy, followed by a number of droidekas setting up in strategic positions behind them. Then, the droidekas could hold the line against the enemies while stronger soldiers moved up to mop up whatever remained. Keep a couple of battle droids with the droidekas to protect them somewhat from flanking attacks.
ICE CLIMBERS MASTER RACE
[/quote]I'm not kidding. When/If DLC is released, I demand Ice Climbers and Team Chaotix.
10/10 would pay $5 for those two "character"s. (The joke is that that is five characters)
[/quote]
*Pokes head up*
Did somebody mention something about Sonic Heroes? Seriously, that game was like 75% of my early childhood. I still remember the Barrel Canyon theme.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60950 on: October 18, 2014, 01:10:10 am »

Also, can I point out that a lot of Star-wars stuff mercilessly slaughters the empire and it's forces, especially the Stormtroopers.

Everything the rebels do is justified from their perspective, even the massive loss of life in the Death Star.  I mean think about what it represents and what it did, plus it was a military installation.

That being said... think about how mad people in real life get about 9/11 and then compare that to, in universe, how mad people would get about Alderaan getting blown up and then the Death Star being blown up with its massive crew on board.  The imperial supporters would try to justify the destruction of Alderaan, while the rebel sympathizers would try to justify blowing up the Death Star.  And of course since both those things involved massive loss of life, and lots of people probably knew someone who died... well, there would be violence in the streets at the mention of the Death Star.
I'd love a movie about the EMPIRE's side of the war. Maybe a single soldier.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #60951 on: October 18, 2014, 01:19:28 am »

*Pokes head up*
Did somebody mention something about Sonic Heroes? Seriously, that game was like 75% of my early childhood. I still remember the Barrel Canyon theme.
Indeed I did.
I keep the Team Chaotix theme song ready to play at the click of the button, in case I ever get really depressed, to cheer me up.

I think that Charmy, Vector, and Espio really need to be in another game. Even if they're just DLC side-characters, or one single character in the vein of Ice Climbers or Rosalina and Luma.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #60952 on: October 18, 2014, 01:24:53 am »

Maybe something similar to Pokemon Trainer? Espio would naturally be the really fast but weak character, similar to squirtle. Vector's an obvious choice for something like Charizard. Charmy could be a rangedish character, like Ivysaur.

But yes, they really do need another appearance. I didn't play them too much (I fucking hated their Mystic Mansion mission), but still.
I was always partial to Team Dark in the game, with Sonic as a close second.

Also, Rail Canyon, not Barrel Canyon. Though, for Dark at least, that level was so awesome!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #60953 on: October 18, 2014, 01:38:02 am »

Unfortunately, for the same reasons that they split Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS, and made Charizard a Stand-Alone character, they don't like transforming characters any more.  :-\  :( So Charmy would be more like Luma, with Espio and Vector acting more like Duck Hunt.

Neutral Special: Bee Bomber: Charmy is thrown by Vector as a ranged Projectile. Charmy can attack independently, but can also be KOd easily!
Side Special: Charmy Sting: Charmy attacks with a sharp stinger, dealing little damage but paralyzing foes briefly.
Up Special: Bubblegum Bomb: Vector and Espio rise into the air on a big balloon of bubblegum. It will explode for major damage at the end, or if attacked!
Down Special: Ninja Stealth: Vector cloaks himself and Vector, becoming invisible. Being caught in the smoke can stun foes temporarily, but attacking will uncloak you!

Final Smash: Band Beat-Up: The Chaotix Crew splits up and runs randomly all over the screen, beating everyone up with instruments. Guest appearances by Mighty, Knuckles, and some others. Like, there's seven Chaotix Crew members beating up everyone. Espio, Vector, and Charmy all return to their previous locations at the end of the Final Smash.

Heck, I didn't hate Chaotix at all. after I beat team Rose (because easy, easy easy), I always beat Chaotix next. Yeah, the Mansion was tough, but I always hated the Mansion for all four teams. It was the jungle, though, that always pissed me off.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60954 on: October 18, 2014, 01:56:45 am »

I'd love a movie about the EMPIRE's side of the war. Maybe a single soldier.
There's always that story of the Battle of Yavin told from the perspective of the Death Star gunner who intentionally delayed firing on the rebel base.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #60955 on: October 18, 2014, 02:08:33 am »

Can I ask something?
If not, whatever, I'm still going to ask, do people normally have constant flashbacks to situations you would call embarrassing? And it's getting really annoying, because I remember them with perfect clarity for just long enough to feel horrible, but if I try to focus on them, they just slip away.

It just gets infuriating after a while.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #60956 on: October 18, 2014, 02:21:20 am »

Well, maybe the first Death Star. The second Death Star was under construction. A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms. All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with.

Look, you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60957 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:03 am »

Can I ask something?
If not, whatever, I'm still going to ask, do people normally have constant flashbacks to situations you would call embarrassing? And it's getting really annoying, because I remember them with perfect clarity for just long enough to feel horrible, but if I try to focus on them, they just slip away.

It just gets infuriating after a while.

Yes, people do.

Unfortunately, for the same reasons that they split Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS, and made Charizard a Stand-Alone character, they don't like transforming characters any more.  :-\  :(

Well, let's go over the transforming characters of the past:

1. Zelda/Shiek. Nobody used Zelda because Shiek had much better options, such as a forward air that could kill without hitting a tiny hitbox or ridiculous amounts of chaingrabs.
2. Samus/ZSS. ZSS was the one used mainly out of the two, and you had to do some weird controller input to select her at all in Brawl... or you could play with the smash ball on and risk your opponent playing Dedede or Snake or Ice Climbers or whatever other character can one-shot it having it spawn right next to them.
3. Pokémon Trainer had the worst transformation mechanic in the history of fighting games anyone actually played. If you have a single pokémon out for too long, they will due severely reduced damage and knockback and you will have to switch if you want either of those at all. To make it worse, switching makes you hugely vulnerable due to the loading times involved. Not only that, but when a pokémon is KO'd, you have to switch to the next one. This is especially a problem when you consider characters like Dedede, who hard counters Ivysaur and Charizard but not Squirtle. Too bad, cause you have to use Ivysaur and Charizard anyway. There's only one person who actually plays Pokémon Trainer competitively, and it's almost entirely due to that issue.

Not only that, but transforming characters in general have the problem of requiring the player to learn two characters in one slot. Of course, it never actually works that way (see: zelda/shiek), so why bother with the transformation at all? Plus, Zelda, Shiek and Charizard got entirely new moves with the switch, so it's all good.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #60958 on: October 18, 2014, 03:00:28 am »

Well, maybe the first Death Star. The second Death Star was under construction. A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms. All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with.

Look, you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

;)
IIRC, the death star was constructed largely with slave labour. (Or was that the mines were they got the materials from, no idea).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60959 on: October 18, 2014, 03:05:34 am »

;)
Actually, they likely used few if any independent contractors. The second Death Star was constructed in secrecy, remember, in an isolated location that would hopefully remain off the radar (until the Emperor allowed the location to leak to the Rebels, anyway). You don't go hauling around civilian workers to your top-secret location unless they are 100% loyal to the cause...but why bother doing that? The Empire had slave labor and heavy construction droids to do most of the work, and for everything else they would have had trained soldiers. Not braindead stormtroopers, but the engineers and mechanics and plumbers and electricians you'd find in any modern-day/future military.

Now, the 1st Death Star was constructed out in the open, and was plagued with acts of sabotage while they simultaneously tried to figure out exactly how this planet-busting laser would work (which is why it took 20 or so years to build rather than 5 or so). THAT'S when contractors probably would have been used (when slave labor wasn't sufficient), and that's when you might have a possible story about some random laborer trying to earn a living while extremists commit acts of violence. By the 2nd Death Star, it becomes much harder to swallow.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4062 4063 [4064] 4065 4066 ... 11039