Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4012 4013 [4014] 4015 4016 ... 11035

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14359221 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #60195 on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:31 pm »

It's a recordkeeping thing. The FBI didn't handle the case, and relies on the states to compile statistics. The state police handled it, and the deaths are filed under "State Police: Miscellaneous" due to the way the Connecticut State Police reported it.

http://www.snopes.com/info/news/sandyhoax.asp
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60196 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »

I've just realized that I despise almost everything about Borderlands 2 in comparison to the first game. It's hard to describe, but it feels like everything that was fun had all the life sucked out of it, and I don't really feel like writing up a rant about it. Time to go re-buy BL1, I suppose. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #60197 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:29 pm »

I've just realized that I despise almost everything about Borderlands 2 in comparison to the first game. It's hard to describe, but it feels like everything that was fun had all the life sucked out of it, and I don't really feel like writing up a rant about it. Time to go re-buy BL1, I suppose. :|

the upcoming borderlands the presequel looks like it's gonna be the best of both worlds. Set level cap at 50(probably), numbers and scaling resembling BL1, and distinct and creative class design similar to BL2.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60198 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:12 pm »

I liked BL2 for the story.  It was fun in that regards.  I didn't like the fact that enemies would do scale damage while you had to go off and find a new shield every level to keep up.  And then when everything seemed fine in that regard (you can still die in two hits but you do ridiculous damage), they nerfed the hell out of the Bee and the Conference Call.  Also they made it to where enemies would always do the same amount of damage to you no matter your level.  You never got extra mitigation in your levels.

BL1 had much better gameplay in my opinion, you scaled as you would think you would in an RPG.  Eventually you got better guns and stuff and your numbers could keep up with your enemies, but there was no way in hell an enemy twenty levels below you could kill you.  Even if you AFK'd.

Gonna watch streams of the Prequel before I make a judgement to buy that one.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #60199 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:16 pm »

I want to like Borderlands (1, don't have 2) and have put quite a few hours into it, but the ugly art style (I HATE the comic book look in anything except an actual comic book, which is why I absolutely refuse to play Wind Waker) just keeps slapping me in the face. The gameplay's good, but I can't stand the art.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #60200 on: October 08, 2014, 09:53:32 pm »

I really dislike scaled leveling. If I level up 100 times, I want those bandits I was earlier running away from to be creamed by my mere look, not to now be sporting world-ending spells and have top-tier armour.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60201 on: October 08, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »

I really dislike scaled leveling. If I level up 100 times, I want those bandits I was earlier running away from to be creamed by my mere look, not to now be sporting world-ending spells and have top-tier armour.
Amen to that.

You know what made me go WTF today?

The recent posts in the terrified thread.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #60202 on: October 08, 2014, 09:56:52 pm »

Gonna watch streams of the Prequel before I make a judgement to buy that one.
I was thinking of streaming the PreSequel the weekend it came out. Doing so would require me to get a better graphics card, get the presequel, and set up a twitch account. And maybe get a mic. All of which I could probably do. Obviously the only demotivator is that, well, brand new streamers may not get any audience, defeating the point of streaming, and that I don't have the time to stream regularly except on weekends.

BL1 has way better scaling, yeah, but I think the gameplay in BL2 is better. Many class skills have way more impact on how you play the game. See Mechromancer's Anarchy, Gunzerker's Money Shot, or Psycho's Light the Fuse or Silence the Voices or Release the Beast skills.

This is the case in all game modes except the gamemode that purposely scales enemies to meet or exceed your level for the sake of difficulty. In default gameplay you can easily go back to earlier levels and gib bandits with one shot.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60203 on: October 08, 2014, 10:52:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #60204 on: October 08, 2014, 11:22:55 pm »

Thematically I recall hearing that the Sirens all have different powers. So, Lillith gets Phasewalk. Maya gets Phaselock. Maya's phaselock works more like a buff than anything else. With it active and the right skill points, you get increased damage, health regen, bullets ricochet, as well as the default ability of locking an enemy in place. So, it's a utility. Like Phasewalk. I honestly don't remember what Phasewalk did outside of entering/leaving battles.

both sirens were about controlling the flow of battle though. Lillith with phasewalk could enter or leave the battle on demand. Maya can lock enemies in place, slag enemies, mind control enemies, various other tricks, all with her action skill and the right skill points, as well as passive tricks like reflecting bullets or inflicting damage equal to damage you take. So, yeah, siren=control the battle. Sounds like a theme.

This is actually a really good point I never realized. You're right, the PC does feel shoehorned in. I guess it can be kinda excused with "you're a part of a bigger plan, there's wider scale events on pandora than BL1, blah blah blah" but it does feel like the BL1 heroes steal the spotlight. Then again, do the BL1 characters do anything in their game besides run other people's errands while they revolt against Atlas?

Enemy AI can be annoying yeah. Stalkers going invisible is annoying. Loaders are annoying as hell to fight. The little flying drones that repair enemies are a huge pain in the ass to kill as a melee character -read: Krieg- and especially when they're the only enemy left but you have to kill them to progress.

Stalkers are really flimsy and can't go invis without their shield though. Destroy the shield, bam, easier to kill.

Loaders can literally be dissected by shooting limbs off. That's a neat mechanic and I loved finding that out during my first playthrough.

The little drone thingies can be drawn in by damaging a loader enough to request repairs. So there's a strategy to make it easier to kill. So it's not like it's completely broken or stupid, just somewhat inconvenient. It requires more thinking than just "shoot everything" though. enemies seem relatively balanced in regards to how they're annoying. They're annoying, but you can do something about it.

The rock-paper-scissor element game was in the first game as well though. Shock for shields, fire for flesh, heck, corrosive even played the part of slag by making enemies weaker to damage. The biggest difference between 1 and 2 as far as the element metagame is is the scaling in BL2 breaks it and makes it almost essential to do damage. Don't blame the elements metagame, blame the scaling. Also, Torgue explosions master race.
---------------------
This conversation is making me want to play BL1 again. Shame I lost my Xbox copy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60205 on: October 08, 2014, 11:34:39 pm »

My old-ass PS3 crashes whenever I use it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #60206 on: October 08, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »

what did David Letterman's joke "Like being on Willie Nelson's Bus" that he made after Miku sung mean? I didn't get it.

The show was quite cringeworthy btw.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:43:01 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60207 on: October 08, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »

My old-ass PS3 crashes whenever I use it.
get some new ass then.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60208 on: October 08, 2014, 11:45:52 pm »

what did David Letterman's joke "Like being on Willie Nelson's Bus" that he made after Miku sung mean? I didn't get it.

The show was quite cringeworthy btw.

Oh, that was today?  I might have to go check that out.  Just to see which song they used.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60209 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:58 pm »

Question for Bay12ers who do fighting or did fighting things: how do you get past the mental block of not wanting to hurt people? I need to do that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 4012 4013 [4014] 4015 4016 ... 11035