Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3869 3870 [3871] 3872 3873 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14429232 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #58050 on: September 09, 2014, 02:45:59 am »

Adamantine is like supertough rubber?
Wat.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58051 on: September 09, 2014, 02:47:04 am »

Wait, hold on. Diamond would have too much give to work as armor?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58052 on: September 09, 2014, 02:47:10 am »

Adamantine is the opposite of rubber, it's super brittle. I was assuming the brittle thing was about diamond.

I think that this is more of an issue of how DF represents things than the real life materials.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #58053 on: September 09, 2014, 03:13:01 am »

Wait, hold on. Diamond would have too much give to work as armor?
I think diamond is too brittle to work as armour with real-life physics, but adamantine is even more brittle?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58054 on: September 09, 2014, 03:14:27 am »

Brittle doesn't mean it's not strong.

Also, DF's physics are wonky.

Anyway, I currently have 6 nonillion cookies in Cookie Clicker. This run started an hour ago. The beta is completely broken.

EDIT: 19 nonillion with wrinklers popped and expensive stuff sold
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:16:09 am by Putnam »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58055 on: September 09, 2014, 03:16:05 am »

Cookie Clicker still exists?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #58056 on: September 09, 2014, 03:26:31 am »

Cookies are like German money in the 20s.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58057 on: September 09, 2014, 03:28:53 am »

buying the next grandma costs 5 octillion cookies

I am making 466.52 septillion cookies per second

12 minute game

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58058 on: September 09, 2014, 03:39:38 am »

My current Pandora playlist includes Wagner along with stations seeded from Konami and FFVIII. Unless the latter two are playing the actual game music (instead of actual performers such as The Black Mages covering the songs), I cannot tell the difference between these three stations without checking.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #58059 on: September 09, 2014, 05:04:38 am »

On diamond as armor, the problem comes from something that DF currently doesn't model, which is the fact that because of diamonds crystal structure being very ordered they also have a great many planes upon which they fracture relatively easily. This is why despite being one of the hardest materials out there diamonds are fairly low on the toughness scale. (And why the idea that you can test if a diamond ring is fake by dropping it or hitting it is totally false, real diamonds can shatter that way too, as long as they get hit at the right spot/angle combination.)

As for adamantine the inelasticity gives it an interesting effect, which is the total immunity to any forms of physical wear and tear. Because there is absolutely no changes in the structure of the adamantine, it doesn't suffer from any sort of weakening at all from repeated hits, which means that if you hit an adamantine sword with a hammer it would do one of two things, either be completely unchanged or totally disintegrate into dust. (Of course that boundary is much higher than any normal person could hit at, being approximately .5 the pressure required to make diamonds. If two of you working together couldn't make diamonds with your own pure strength, you can't harm adamantine in any physical way).

Adamantine's other unique property is it's sharpness. Adamantine is so sharp that if you held a thin blade of it directly over solid rock and dropped it, it's own light weight would still be enough to drive it down through the rock until such point that it either became out of alignment or gravity stopped it. (Or it was destroyed due to pressure).

As a whole at the DF level of technology you get something that was sharp enough to cut through anything but itself and was completely immune to any forms of damage that you could do; in other words, the type of legendary sword that can only be destroyed by being thrown into a volcano.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:08:06 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #58060 on: September 09, 2014, 05:29:24 am »

On diamond as armor, the problem comes from something that DF currently doesn't model, which is the fact that because of diamonds crystal structure being very ordered they also have a great many planes upon which they fracture relatively easily. This is why despite being one of the hardest materials out there diamonds are fairly low on the toughness scale. (And why the idea that you can test if a diamond ring is fake by dropping it or hitting it is totally false, real diamonds can shatter that way too, as long as they get hit at the right spot/angle combination.)

As for adamantine the inelasticity gives it an interesting effect, which is the total immunity to any forms of physical wear and tear. Because there is absolutely no changes in the structure of the adamantine, it doesn't suffer from any sort of weakening at all from repeated hits, which means that if you hit an adamantine sword with a hammer it would do one of two things, either be completely unchanged or totally disintegrate into dust. (Of course that boundary is much higher than any normal person could hit at, being approximately .5 the pressure required to make diamonds. If two of you working together couldn't make diamonds with your own pure strength, you can't harm adamantine in any physical way).

Adamantine's other unique property is it's sharpness. Adamantine is so sharp that if you held a thin blade of it directly over solid rock and dropped it, it's own light weight would still be enough to drive it down through the rock until such point that it either became out of alignment or gravity stopped it. (Or it was destroyed due to pressure).

As a whole at the DF level of technology you get something that was sharp enough to cut through anything but itself and was completely immune to any forms of damage that you could do; in other words, the type of legendary sword that can only be destroyed by being thrown into a volcano.

Insane theory: adamantine is all a single atom, stretched through spacetime by magic forces. It explains it's sharpness - you can sharpen it to have an arbitrarily thin edge, even less than monoatomic, and it's inelasticity - although it would have a very !!FUN!! side-effect of causing a nuclear explosion upon being destroyed, which sounds absolutely dwarven.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58061 on: September 09, 2014, 06:10:42 am »

Wow, got another EA videogame series death threat.

This time for The Sims.

I wonder if I should take it seriously or not...

Apperantly not because The Sims 4 still sold well...

Why EA? SimCity was your own dang fault.

Honestly I've never heard of a company outright saying this...

What do you mean by EA videogame series death threat? As in 'we'll end the series'?

Because if it's that, I can't help but think of that one scene in Blazing Saddles where the protagonist takes himself hostage.
Yeah, could use a link or something. Makes no sense.
Yep. Still got no clue.

Unless EA sent you a death threat. Or a sim did.

I have context! Here, have some!
One of the lead developers for The Sims series was asked on the forums at one point what features they were thinking of for Sims 5. He responded with  "We're not working on Sims 5. We're not thinking about Sims 5," he wrote. "If Sims 4 isn't successful, there won't be a Sims 5."

Which was deleted, though, he also quoted a post quoting it replying  "It's not all or nothing, per se, but something has to pay for 5,".

[citation]

And honestly, I'm not sure I blame him. You've put years of work in to a game, and as soon as it's released you get a lot of flak from people who haven't played it yet, and are already being asked about the sequel. I probably wouldn't have handled it as well.

Aside:
How do I get the hyperlink to use text other than the url?

Edit: Aha, Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:12:55 am by timferius »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58062 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:59 am »

Code: [Select]
[url=google.com]Like this.[/url]
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58063 on: September 09, 2014, 08:38:14 am »

I found a babby scorpion on the shower curtain when I was taking a shower >.>

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58064 on: September 09, 2014, 08:40:38 am »

I found a babby scorpion on the shower curtain when I was taking a shower >.>
I assume that you killed it with fire?  And then proceeded to burn the rest of the bathroom just to be sure? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 3869 3870 [3871] 3872 3873 ... 11039