Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3854 3855 [3856] 3857 3858 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14430603 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57825 on: September 06, 2014, 11:58:17 am »

what's a glitch and what is not a glitch

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57826 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59:23 am »

a glitch is an event not expected by the rules that constrain the game, therefore causing unpredicted results

i guess

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57827 on: September 06, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »

I'll put it this way...

In Supermario 64 you could backwards jump into the final level without hitting the star requirements.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57828 on: September 06, 2014, 12:03:42 pm »

If someone believes the world was made 6000 years ago, and tries their darndest to pass that on, then that is hindering accurate knowledge. It doesn't make that person bad, but there are things that are important as well as kindness.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57829 on: September 06, 2014, 12:08:40 pm »

Watching a Mirror's Edge speedrun, to look for better ways of doing some (most) of the game to get better times and such.

The Youtube comments are almost entirely people complaining that speedruns shouldn't use glitches.

Who let the lobotomy patients out?
There's different types of speedruns, y'know.
And frankly... I am kind of on the Youtube's side >_>

Since this isn't a Glitch Speedrun...
That is an absurd argument. A speedrun is a speedrun, regardless of what subset. And if you will take a look here:
Many speedruns utilize glitches (unexpected behavior due to the game's programming), to the runner's advantage. Glitches are allowed and runners are encouraged to fully utilize beneficial glitches and bugs in their runs to save time within the confines of the game's behavior, even if the outcome was most likely not entirely planned for by the developers.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57830 on: September 06, 2014, 12:10:25 pm »

Yeah, usually glitches can be assumed unless the speedrun is specifically a no-glitch run. Least insofar as I've seen things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57831 on: September 06, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »

Pretty much. Some of the most hardcore speedruns use tools to let the people doing them do a single frame at a time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57832 on: September 06, 2014, 01:28:11 pm »

Pretty much. Some of the most hardcore speedruns use tools to let the people doing them do a single frame at a time.
These are always fun to watch. Either TAS as in tool-assisted-speedruns or TAS as in tool-assisted-superplays. One is for speedrunning, one is for insanely awesome feats that may or may not include speedrunning.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57833 on: September 06, 2014, 02:23:57 pm »

I usually prefer the toolless runs myself, if only because the feats that get pulled off are due to pure skill rather than continually resetting and playing frame-by-frame to get the desired effect.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57834 on: September 06, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »

I usually prefer the toolless runs myself, if only because the feats that get pulled off are due to pure skill rather than continually resetting and playing frame-by-frame to get the desired effect.
It's also very impressive to see people perform some glitches which require flame-perfect precision without tools.
._.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #57835 on: September 06, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »

Yeah, but stuff like TAS plays in Super Smash Brother Melee, for example, are all "technically" possible feats that can be accomplished in the engine, but require impossible superhumanly precise frame-by-frame timing to be done. It shows what the engine is capable of if it's used to its absolute fullest. So you get stuff like this or this.

And then you get crazy feats like this where TAS is used to reprogram Super Mario World while it's running on a NES. fun to watch in a mind-blowing way.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57836 on: September 06, 2014, 05:47:38 pm »

There's also the Pokemon TAS which are... weird.
._.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57837 on: September 06, 2014, 06:33:43 pm »

Yeah, but stuff like TAS plays in Super Smash Brother Melee, for example, are all "technically" possible feats that can be accomplished in the engine, but require impossible superhumanly precise frame-by-frame timing to be done. It shows what the engine is capable of if it's used to its absolute fullest. So you get stuff like this or this.

And then you get crazy feats like this where TAS is used to reprogram Super Mario World while it's running on a NES. fun to watch in a mind-blowing way.
Which is all cool stuff, but not what I'm talking about. I prefer the runs where the runner relies only on his/her own skill and reflexes, no tools required to do the "technically possible". Glitches are still acceptable.

Like here, where the guy is playing on a bog-standard N64 and gets past the sealed door in the Temple of Time blindfolded.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #57838 on: September 06, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Huh, I wonder if that's where Welcome to Nightvale got it from. The mountains don't exist thing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57839 on: September 06, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

I learned that if you drag a bookmark to the tab it loads, and doesn't save your spot on the two-and-a-half hour youtube video.  mmmm . . .  Why u take a way my learning?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3854 3855 [3856] 3857 3858 ... 11039