Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3838 3839 [3840] 3841 3842 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450967 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57585 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:05 am »

Cities, man. Cities. Grandparents bought a house (3 bedroom/1 bath, back yard, living room, kitchen, back porch, slightly-too-small carport type dealio. Forget the ft2, but it's a, y'know, house.) for around 30k USD a year or two ago. Actually in one of the more urban areas in north florida, t'boot, and pretty well situated in regards to location. Know the appeal of a proper city, but still. Helluva' price tag.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57586 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47:01 am »

See, I live in a rural area. Property values (and taxes) are disgusting.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57587 on: September 03, 2014, 01:03:17 am »

Cities, man. Cities. Grandparents bought a house (3 bedroom/1 bath, back yard, living room, kitchen, back porch, slightly-too-small carport type dealio. Forget the ft2, but it's a, y'know, house.) for around 30k USD a year or two ago. Actually in one of the more urban areas in north florida, t'boot, and pretty well situated in regards to location. Know the appeal of a proper city, but still. Helluva' price tag.

Around here, you can get a house for $5000, $8000 in the unlikely event you can find one where the plumbing hasn't been stolen. Of course, if you bought a house here, you'd have to live here, and nobody wants that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #57588 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:02 am »

Five thousand dollars? For a gorram house? You'd be lucky to get a car for that much in the Zee Lands.
Houses are few and far between. Shitty ones can be obtained for 1-200k IIRC, but for a nice one you're looking at anything from 500k to more than a million.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57589 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:32 am »

I'm not joking. Of course, the fact that this is considered to be fairly nice in the area (among unhinabited buildings) has a lot to do with that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57590 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:22 am »

Yeah, that's more or less what happens when there's basically no reason to live in a particular place, and plenty of reasons to not live there. Cheap land, cheap housing, th'problem is just as Sho says -- if you buy it, you have to do something with it, and that can be somewhere between terrible and impossible. No one particularly sane wants to live in a genuinely rural area, honestly. Mostly rural, sure, but when your nearest neighbor is several miles off and there's no... anything (like internet, or TV, or power, in some cases)... and even the surrounding land is just kinda' empty, it's. Not something most folks really want to live in.

... though that looks like a fairly decent house, at least on the face of it. Bit of work, obviously, and given that door's open there's probably plenty of weather damage inside, but... looks better than a lot of places in my area...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57591 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:47 am »

I did say that that was a fairly decent representative (I grabbed a Google street view of it mostly because I've never understood why it was named "The Roosevelt" (or, for that matter, named at all, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't date back to the pre-Civil War era before street numbers were introduced, and the only othre residence in the area that's named is "The Homer" across the street., It's also fairly well known for the condition. That's actually an old pic, and it's under renovation now (probably because they wanted to make sure nobody burned it down, as setting vacant houses on fire's become something of a local sport). Complete replacement of the floors was necessary.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #57592 on: September 03, 2014, 01:42:25 am »

I see. The whole "uninhabited houses" thing just doesn't happen here, so it's a bit of an alien concept to me. Housing shortage FTW.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57593 on: September 03, 2014, 02:24:17 am »

Grisha5 was an entertaining and fairly well-known thread. There's no reason not to reference it.
Fairly well known as to how it gathered attention, or those who visited it a lot? :P

Because how I get it is how it represents the danger of that kind of "freedom"...
To forward a joke, deface a wikipedia page. Uh huh. >_>
Tiruin, it was only one person.
Generalisations are bad, don't tar everyone who was there with the same vandalism brush.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #57594 on: September 03, 2014, 06:43:27 am »

So, one of my friends, who is absolutely obsessed with anime, has somehow never even heard of Miyazaki, nor any of his movies.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57595 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:52 am »

What a scrub. Mizayaki is like totally awesome. I really like her characters.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57598 on: September 03, 2014, 08:01:48 am »

It's where she's a man, after all.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57599 on: September 03, 2014, 11:39:20 am »

Does anybody know what the rumours about Anime Fansub sites being attacked are all about?

Heavy sustained DDOS attacks on nyaa.se, and maybe other sites. Apparently horriblesubs.info and others is hosted on the same server. I think nyaa was the target, and HS is collateral damage.

Not that it's affect me watching 40 new shows per season at all. shanaproject.com mirrors all the releases, and it is working fine, even for the sub groups that are "DDOS'd". I'm still getting all my shows downloaded via RSS. I haven't even had to click anything I don't normally click. So the anti-piracy attackers have taken down so websites but the infrastructure and RSS feeds are still working. Hooray for automation.

The real deal, is most of the airing shows suck ass. Out of ~30 new shows I've sampled this season, there are about 4-5 I'd call "watchable". The rest are dreck that Japanese people only even watch because it's on TV and they don't have to pay. That's the thing, they're freaking out that English speakers are watching stuff "for free" that Japanese people won't even pay for. Many of these shows, yeah, I'll watch them once to laugh at how bad they are. But actually buying a DVD/BD or keeping the show on my HD, even for free? No fucking way. There's where they massively overestimate the "cost" of piracy. Few people would ever buy these series on DVD. Probably even less if no-one could sample the shows first.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:44:09 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 3838 3839 [3840] 3841 3842 ... 11040