Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3780 3781 [3782] 3783 3784 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448446 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #56715 on: August 23, 2014, 08:52:32 pm »

Oops.
Take a closer look at this text!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56716 on: August 23, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »

UGH! I can't get over "The Purge"

Usually when movies have a difficult to support premise they avoid poking holes in it because really "it works because of off-screen reasons" is a good enough excuse, people don't look at giant spiders and go "That's impossible!" they go "It must work some other way"... Yet the movie does almost nothing but prove exactly why the premise doesn't work even in the established universe.

Which would be fine except... they did it a LOT!

But I do have a question for those who watched it more then I did:

What stopped people from burning people's houses down and doing extensive property damage? Is this just a world where everyone is excessively polite?

Also what are class 5 weaponry? and how the heck is that enforceable in a situation where there are no laws?

And did they mention that houses have been extensively fire proofed? And why don't people just go into bomb shelters? Those are much safer than houses with reinforced doors.

DANG IT THE PURGE!!! Stop poking holes in your own premise you literally could have avoided it! You didn't have to!

Also doesn't having a super low unemployment rate also cause problems? or was it created because now everyone works for peanuts so factories can now have unsafe working environments with people crammed in there because otherwise they will have problems protecting themselves during the purge.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:50:49 pm by Neonivek »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56717 on: August 23, 2014, 09:49:35 pm »

UGH! I can't get over "The Purge"

Usually when movies have a difficult to support premise they avoid poking holes in it... Yet the movie does almost nothing but prove exactly why the premise doesn't work even in the established universe.

Which would be fine except... they did it a LOT!

But I do have a question for those who watched it: What stopped people from burning people's houses down and doing extensive property damage? Is this just a world where everyone is excessively polite?

Also what are class 5 weaponry? and how the heck is that enforceable in a situation where there are no laws?

And did they mention that houses have been extensively fire proofed? And why don't people just go into bomb shelters? Those are much safer than houses with reinforced doors.

DANG IT THE PURGE!!! Stop poking holes in your own premise you literally could have avoided it! You didn't have to!

Also doesn't having a super low unemployment rate also cause problems? or was it created because now everyone works for peanuts so factories can now have unsafe working environments with people crammed in there because otherwise they will have problems protecting themselves during the purge.
similer mistake as lucy in lucy they tried to explain the powers and ended up alienating anybody with half a brain
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56718 on: August 23, 2014, 09:52:01 pm »

I'm still confused as to how the purge law even got passed in the first place. Why would anyone want it? How does it help anyone?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56719 on: August 23, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »

I'm still confused as to how the purge law even got passed in the first place. Why would anyone want it? How does it help anyone?

The Purge was likely passed in a time of great economic turmoil with a high homelessness rate with possible riots on the streets (not that they tell you this... this is my "head canon")

The implication the movie has is that the Purge's explanation is an excuse, what it REALLY is there for is to get rid of the excess population: The homeless, unemployed, elderly, undesirables. Since anyone with enough money can hunker down or go away.

As well the movie indicates that the US has a different government and philosophy then we do as well... with propaganda fooling people into accepting it.

Which is a fine... They could have given that, and stopped and it would be fine, our imaginations are strong enough to fill in the blanks... But holy cow do they keep poking and poking and poking holes into that premise.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:57:44 pm by Neonivek »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #56720 on: August 23, 2014, 09:56:38 pm »

That once happened to me. I spat it out, but not because it had someone else's saliva but because it had alcohol.

Yes, well, I only realized what I had done after I already swallowed it and went past the point of no return. Pretty much was a "oh sit wtf have i just done" moment.

Haven't died or anything from it yet, but if I get a cold or mouth herpes I know who to blame.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56721 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »

The Purge was likely passed in a time of great economic turmoil with a high homelessness rate.

The implication the movie has is that the Purge's explanation is an excuse, what it REALLY is there for is to get rid of the excess population.

As well the movie indicates that the US has a different government and philosophy then we do as well.

Which is a fine... They could have given that, and stopped and it would be fine... But holy cow do they keep poking and poking and poking holes into that premise.
yeah some people need to learn that if you try to explain a silly premise it just highlights how silly it is

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56722 on: August 24, 2014, 12:25:32 am »

I wondered why the taxi driver I approached last night was slow to unlock his door, and then insisted that I pay beforehand.
I figured it was just because I was visibly drunk, but upon getting home and looking in the mirror, I realised my face was covered in blood. I don't even remember doing anything overly crazy last night, but I had this chunk of skin scraped off just above my eyebrow. ???

...Then again, I don't remember much of anything from last night. Shot glasses. Mixing alcohol without them is a bad idea, it seems.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56723 on: August 24, 2014, 12:36:51 am »

I wondered why the taxi driver I approached last night was slow to unlock his door, and then insisted that I pay beforehand.
I figured it was just because I was visibly drunk, but upon getting home and looking in the mirror, I realised my face was covered in blood. I don't even remember doing anything overly crazy last night, but I had this chunk of skin scraped off just above my eyebrow. ???

...Then again, I don't remember much of anything from last night. Shot glasses. Mixing alcohol without them is a bad idea, it seems.
really consuming alcohol in general is a bad idea i barely ever drink i will drink maybe once every 3 months and even then only 1 weak drink over a few hours. but thats mostly because i am terrified of the idea of not being in full control of my mind.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56724 on: August 24, 2014, 12:40:25 am »

really consuming alcohol in general is a bad idea i barely ever drink i will drink maybe once every 3 months and even then only 1 weak drink over a few hours. but thats mostly because i am terrified of the idea of not being in full control of my mind.
No, it isn't. If you don't like drinking that's your problem.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56725 on: August 24, 2014, 12:44:09 am »

No, it isn't. If you don't like drinking that's your problem.
i dont consider it a problem being the sober one at parties is great. although dealing with the people the next morning sucks hungover people refuse to talk to you and its so boring

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56726 on: August 24, 2014, 01:15:45 am »

My obsession with wizardry is starting to weird me out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #56727 on: August 24, 2014, 01:26:23 am »

really consuming alcohol in general is a bad idea
Actually there have been tons of studies that have shown occasional small amounts of alcohol (such as the rare glass of wine at night) have all sorts of health benefits, especially for your heart. It's mainly linked with red wine, but more studies are showing that other forms of alcohol might be carrying the same benefits, though nobody has really looked into it that deeply. That said doctors don't really want to recommend that people drink alcohol since alcoholism is a much larger problem then heart disease (and there's all the whole moral stuff in there too), so you don't really hear about it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56728 on: August 24, 2014, 02:52:00 am »

Yeah... last I heard about that, it wasn't just "red wine" but red wine from a specific mountain range or something along those lines. And, as you note, consumed in a very specific, very restrained manner, which definitely isn't "consuming alcohol in general". Was a few years back, so there's probably been more studies since, but eh.

Certainly, though, if you've consumed enough you can't remember most of the night before and were unable to notice when your face is covered in blood, things have gone more than a wee bit too far. But, well. Yoink is okay with his drinking problem, so there's not really much else to be said on the subject *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56729 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:53 am »

really consuming alcohol in general is a bad idea
Actually there have been tons of studies that have shown occasional small amounts of alcohol (such as the rare glass of wine at night) have all sorts of health benefits, especially for your heart. It's mainly linked with red wine, but more studies are showing that other forms of alcohol might be carrying the same benefits, though nobody has really looked into it that deeply. That said doctors don't really want to recommend that people drink alcohol since alcoholism is a much larger problem then heart disease (and there's all the whole moral stuff in there too), so you don't really hear about it.
yeah but theres so much misinformation on the matter its impossible to keep track of it the only thing that seems to be clear is that something in red wine is good for you

Pages: 1 ... 3780 3781 [3782] 3783 3784 ... 11040