Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3724 3725 [3726] 3727 3728 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492014 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #55875 on: August 09, 2014, 04:02:58 am »

Avatar (the film with the blue people, not the series) is currently the world's highest-grossing film. I did not think it was considered that good.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55876 on: August 09, 2014, 04:07:32 am »

Avatar (the film with the blue people, not the series) is currently the world's highest-grossing film. I did not think it was considered that good.
It was one of the first films in the world to have FX on that level. They're still pretty fantastic.
That was pretty much the point of the movie.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #55877 on: August 09, 2014, 04:10:08 am »

And the sixteen truckloads of themes I have to pick apart for one of the strangest biology assignments I've ever been given. The FX might be the most successful/famous part of the movie, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55878 on: August 09, 2014, 04:11:39 am »

Biology? Themes?
SCHOOL SYSTEM YU STUP COMBINENG ENGRISH AN BILILIGY

Sorry about that, my reflex triggered.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55879 on: August 09, 2014, 04:14:46 am »

And the sixteen truckloads of themes I have to pick apart for one of the strangest biology assignments I've ever been given. The FX might be the most successful/famous part of the movie, though.
Wait, so the movies graphics are considered the best part of the movie and most responsible for its massive sales?
*looks at PS vita and DS sales*
*checks out wii sales compared to the other consoles*
Huh.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55880 on: August 09, 2014, 04:18:40 am »

you do realize people latched onto graphics over gameplay somewhere after the nes era and never let go

could probably get away with a movie calling for genocide if it was pretty

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55881 on: August 09, 2014, 04:25:52 am »

I quite enjoyed the movie, myself. I had a clever point I was gonna make about the film industry and FX but it slipped from my mind as I struggled to type this on my phone. Gods I'm tired.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55882 on: August 09, 2014, 04:32:07 am »

I do remember when I went to see "Avatar", the main advertised reason was the effects rather than the storyline. I did enjoy the movie for the spectacle, and the plot was one I haven't seen much myself. I can't remember whether I saw a 3D version or not.

I would suggest it's because it is easier to grade graphical improvement over other elements. "GTAIV" has better graphics than "Commander Keen" is nearly a statement. However, I do think at the moment we're seeing, with the stalling of major graphical improvements, more games exploring different graphical styles that best suit their intentions. "Rayman: Origins" is a 2D platformer which makes good use of higher detail while retaining 2D simplicity.

S'like, adventure games didn't really work with the advent of 3D (Like "Escape from Monkey Island") but other adventure games have been made using older styles and been received well (Chzo Mythos).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55883 on: August 09, 2014, 04:34:42 am »

you do realize people latched onto graphics over gameplay somewhere after the nes era and never let go

could probably get away with a movie calling for genocide if it was pretty
What? When didn't people latch onto graphics over gameplay? It's been like that since day 1 of video games. Shit games sell because of eye candy. Back in the day, we talked about how maybe, in the "future" game graphics would get good enough that gameplay would get a lift instead of the graphics wars. It hasn't really happened yet. This was when I was a little kid in the 1980's. They've just found newer and newer ways to market shit all over again.

Even in the 80's there was the graphics vs gameplay wars, and it was something people lamented about as a pox on good gaming. It didn't just happen after SNES, there was no magical time when the average consumers were like "now that's gameplay, screw graphics". There's always been the crud, and it has always sold well.

The ones that played solidly are the ones that are remembered, but that's no different to e.g. music. There's plenty of really craptastic 1960's music, but people look back at the classics like they were all that existed, and the shit / chart filler is forgotten.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:43:30 am by Reelya »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55884 on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:46 am »

...they didn't latch on when there wasn't any graphics to really latch on to?

i don't think i went too far saying that it's during the third gen and after that graphics became advanced enough to be an actual selling point

late second would be as early as i'd go

e: wow you edited that in okay

chalk it up to me being distracted for a while
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:09:56 am by LordSlowpoke »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55885 on: August 09, 2014, 05:13:13 am »

Spoiler: Small Rant (click to show/hide)
Excuse me, knee jerk reaction when people are exclusified as the average customer being the dumb ones.

OMFGcata Said it at some point on a podcast, 'I hated final fantasy 13-2, but I guess I'll keep buying it just because... You know.' Mostly because there were good games In the franchise.

I dunno, I'm not an expert.
Alan help.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55886 on: August 09, 2014, 05:43:23 am »

The sales of the PS4 and xbone haven't become huge yet because the consoles are still expensive and far from everyone has one, a lot of people are probably waiting for them to become cheaper.

And don't tell me your average console gamer knows about dark souls. There's a difference between a cult following and widespread commercial succes

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #55887 on: August 09, 2014, 05:53:35 am »

MOBAs, MMOs, and mobile games all have their own big slices of the market, for example a quick Google search says that 67 million people play LoL monthly, while the PS3 sold 80 million units total as of 2013.  And lets be honest, LoL looks like an RTS from a good long time ago.  So not great.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55888 on: August 09, 2014, 05:59:30 am »

Of course, the massive price could be from needing the power for all those graphics, so the sales are still low because of the fake need for graphics.
Alan help.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55889 on: August 09, 2014, 06:59:30 am »

Making a "next-gen" console that is less powerful than it's predecessor makes no sense.
They're expensive because they're new, mostly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 3724 3725 [3726] 3727 3728 ... 11037