Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3638 3639 [3640] 3641 3642 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433405 times)

Recluse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54585 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:19 am »

I dropped one of my pills this morning, a levothyroxine, and spent ten minutes looking for it. I didn't find it, but I did find a three-inch clump of hair under the table I keep my computer on. One, I'm surprised I'm not bald, and two, I need to clean my kitchen floor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54586 on: July 22, 2014, 10:44:33 am »

I just don't honestly see where evolution contradicts creationism.
Creationism says that Earth was created 6000 years ago. Evolution and paleontology say that this is so damn not the case.
Where do they pull the no. 6000 from anyway? Always been curious. Same with the apocalyptic preachers when they "calculate" the date for the end of the world, anyone know where they get the numbers from?
For the 6000 it's done by adding up people's ages and stuff, so finding references of when person B was alive and how old person A was at the same time, then continue counting up like that.
And I think the apocalyptic predictions are on the same level as "HL3 confirmed" stuff.

The irony of the 6000 year... well, I'd say "estimate", but those guys are pretty damn sure it's 6000 exact, is that there's written records(maybe not in any language anyone can read today) that are older than that. I've also heard one reason that the methods for dating the "supposedly" millions of years old fossils that have been found is that carbon dating techniques are only accurate to about 12000-14000 years which means that saying dinosaurs existed millions of years ago is a Satanic lie, yet completely ignores how the fossils got there in the first place, or the fact that the carbon dating method can still point out the age of something that predates Creation.

If I recall, the Jewish calendar starts at creation, so that's where the number comes from.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54587 on: July 22, 2014, 11:01:47 am »

What gets me is that 6000 years ago, a biblical city (Jericho) had already erected walls, and the Mesopotamians already knew how to brew beer. You'd think that people from that time frame would have known that the world was older than that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54588 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:52 am »

God just didn't account for evolution to happen after he created life in Earth.

Aliens will be salvationable after the next hotfix.

I just don't honestly see where evolution contradicts creationism. It isn't like evolution didn't happen within the context of the bible itself... like in Genesis.

The issue is that, if you take Genesis literally, God personally sculpted man in his own image, and breathed life in to him. So Creationists take personal offense to Evolution because it removes this direct influence of God. Also, according to the bible, only humans have souls. So no, aliens wouldn't go to hell, any more than dogs/cats/cows/anything else goes to hell. Aliens wouldn't have souls, so it's a non issue.

But if you take it literally the snake had limbs... and then it didn't.
I always liked the idea that the Garden of Eden is an imperfect allegory for going from hunter gatherers to agriculture. No idea how the snake fits in, but going from a perfect garden full of bounty where you have leisure a-plenty and are close to the spirits (Walking with God) and then cast out to toil in the dirt for sustenance? Sounds pretty close to me.

Of course, that's what a science-fiction or fantasy writer would write as origin in their book, not something that would be created organically in actual historical mythology. It's too pat an answer. Plus, these are people who thought the origins of the world were just a few generations ago, how on earth would they even know that their ancestors were hunter gatherers, let alone what the lifestyle was like?

@Akura: Also, pretty sure they use radioisotopes other than carbon for that old stuff, it's just not as accurate (+-a few million years kind of innaccurate) so when they can, they use the more accurate-but-shorter-time-frame carbon dating. Correct? I'm not sure, I'm assuming you know...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:37:48 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54590 on: July 22, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »

obligatory france joke

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54591 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »

I just read the comments section of an article and wasn't repulsed by it.  Not sure if really the internet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54592 on: July 22, 2014, 12:27:35 pm »

lol gay russia is stronk you fag go back to nunavut you commie raghead pinko

... Better? I don't often read comments so I'm really flying blind here.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54593 on: July 22, 2014, 12:32:10 pm »

Sort of doubt the Iraqi cared anyway :^)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54594 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »

Sort of doubt the Iraqi cared anyway :^)
He was dead, of course not. That doesn't change the fact that it was horrid, juvenile, and reflects badly on US military discipline and their reputation as a whole.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #54595 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

Who needs human dignity when we have

THE
RED
WHITE
BLUE
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54596 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »

Who needs human dignity when we have

THE
RED
WHITE
BLUE

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54597 on: July 22, 2014, 12:46:28 pm »

TrollZeGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • I love the wiener song from south park!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54598 on: July 22, 2014, 01:05:49 pm »

I have been eternally scarred.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #54599 on: July 22, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »

Internet, no.
Bad.