Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3632 3633 [3634] 3635 3636 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442336 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54495 on: July 20, 2014, 06:41:27 pm »

In my state it's actually illegal for an atheist to hold office.
That's awfully silly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54496 on: July 20, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »

In my state it's actually illegal for an atheist to hold office.
Willing to bet if somebody tried to stop a atheist via that the law would crumble like a graham cracker.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #54497 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »

... You know that happened 12 years ago, right?
Also, police declined/refused to press charges.

Yup, "And back in 2002."

I forget what I read about that had that linked to a more recent article that brought it up again. And now I can't freaking find it..... meh O well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:48:32 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #54498 on: July 20, 2014, 06:53:37 pm »

In my experience the government always favours the twats.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54499 on: July 20, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

So I was watching a TV show where not only are the main cast all male, but where the "special power" of the series can only be used by male.

At first I was like "ohh yeah... of course" but then I was thinking and I was like "wait a minute... This is the only TV show that does this now adays..."

It is also the ONLY peice of fiction I can think of where there is a special power that only men can use where there isn't a "well women can use this and men can use that". I mean there is plenty of fiction with a power only women can use... but this kids show might be the only peice of fiction period where it really is males only.

The CLOSEST is Warhammer 40k where women cannot become marines because the process doesn't work on women... Except women who REALLY want to be a marine can just develop the "women only" super powers to help if they wanted AND the only reason Warhammer 40k wrote that in is so they wouldn't have to make female models for the game.

Am I wrong? is there any peice of fiction with a male only power that isn't counterbalanced with a female only power? and I mean in an actual power basis not "society".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54500 on: July 20, 2014, 08:23:26 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the concept of a male-only superpower.
How does that even work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #54501 on: July 20, 2014, 08:25:17 pm »

I can't think of any off the top of my head, no.

What show was this?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #54502 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »

How does that even work.

Superpenis.

Its a superpower, but instead of helping you it enlarges the part of your body with the most nerve endings to grotesque size.  So... more of a super weakness.  But apparently people still want it anyways.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54503 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:29 pm »

How does that even work.

It depends on the show... Can only males learn magic? Do only males get heat vision? Are they the only ones who can inferface with a world saving machine?

It is common for females in fiction... but I cannot think of a single instance of there being a male version.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54504 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »

Well, there was Dune.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54505 on: July 20, 2014, 08:42:59 pm »

Well, there was Dune.
But the protagonist was male and he managed to have psychic powers by substance abuse. So...

EDIT: Ah shit might have got it the wrong way round can't remember read it years ago and not very thoroughly.
Well his mum also had some sort of mystical stuff going on as well in the same vein of things.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:46:00 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54506 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:15 pm »

Well, there was Dune.

Really? Only men can use the Spice powers? I thought anyone could, he was just the "chosen one" and thus got a super charge.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54507 on: July 20, 2014, 08:55:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure in Dune, it was women-only when it comes to using said power. If you are a male and try to use the Bene Gesserit witches' powers, you die. This results in the memory of their male ancestors being hidden from their viewing until the Kwisatz Haderach manage to not die.

I have no idea how the navigators manage to be male and not die, though, but maybe it's same spice, different type of powers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54509 on: July 20, 2014, 09:36:31 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28367198
It's a matter of time before a plastic-like, soapy statue of a humanoid with a squid head wash up.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 3632 3633 [3634] 3635 3636 ... 11040