Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3630 3631 [3632] 3633 3634 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443856 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54465 on: July 20, 2014, 01:01:52 pm »

Oh, yeah, there's definitely room for debate there about where responsibility lies. The warnings and such are definitely a good step, though, because it's kind of unreasonable to expect every customer to research in detail every product they buy. Yeah, there's weirdness like needing to put a peanut warning on a bag of peanuts - I get that it's silly, but it's better than not having the warning on products where it isn't obvious, and I prefer laws to be simpler where possible (so while you could probably write in exceptions for a list of products where it's self-evident, that would really be an unnecessary complication). If nothing else, consider it reassurance that the product contains actual peanuts.

You do need to draw the line somewhere, since you obviously can't put every warning imaginable on a package, but covering common allergies seems like a reasonable choice. Keep in mind, too, that some of these are deliberate marketing decisions on a manufacturer's part (I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure you don't actually have to label your food as gluten-free, but tons of manufacturers do because marketing gimmick).

When it comes to cigarette warnings, I do think we're in a fairly decent place here with packaging rules. You got an addictive, poisonous product? Okay, but you're going to have to make damn sure your customers know that. I mean, c'mon, it's not like the manufacturers give a shit about "anything you actually want to know about a product". They're just going to fill the space with endorsements, illustrations, and lies, like every industry.

I don't know whether this particular case is reasonable, though - it basically comes down to whether or not the company was living up to their obligation to make that information clear in their advertisements and packaging. If they weren't, the punishment isn't because they pulled off some dastardly deception on somebody who couldn't possibly have known the truth (because yeah "Cigarettes are bad for your health" is common knowledge these days), it's because they were failing to live up to a legal obligation to avoid taking advantage of psychology to induce people to give in to dangerous temptations in spite of their knowledge of the potential consequences. I don't know anything about their actual advertising practices, though, so I can't say shit.

One way or the other, though, if you believe punitive damages are warranted at all, then I think it's safe to say that they should be so large the company objects.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #54466 on: July 20, 2014, 01:04:55 pm »

The Tobacco Industry was discovered to be dangerous (and punished for the same) decades ago.  It was a different political climate than it is now.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #54467 on: July 20, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »

"These days."

This is a court case about someone who died in 1996. Someone who thus likely started smoking during the whole time period of "we know this will kill people, but let's just hire some marketers, make them wear lab coats, and have them tell people it's perfectly safe."

And here's the thing. These are companies which annually cost the US alone nearly $300 billion in medical and productivity costs. And because of whom, over 5 million people die each year; making them literally worse than Hitler. So yeah, I don't really have much sympathy for them.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #54468 on: July 20, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »

"These days."

This is a court case about someone who died in 1996. Someone who thus likely started smoking during the whole time period of "we know this will kill people, but let's just hire some marketers, make them wear lab coats, and have them tell people it's perfectly safe."

And here's the thing. These are companies which annually cost the US alone nearly $300 billion in medical and productivity costs. And because of whom, over 5 million people die each year; making them literally worse than Hitler. So yeah, I don't really have much sympathy for them.

Tobacco Gestapo, going around the streets and making people smoke must be an American thing, I've never seen this happening here, the only smokers I've seen smoked voluntarily.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54469 on: July 20, 2014, 03:38:31 pm »

Most smokers I know are addicted.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #54470 on: July 20, 2014, 03:40:36 pm »

Which, again, they got into by choosing to smoke in the first place.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54471 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:35 pm »

I am not disputing that.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54472 on: July 20, 2014, 03:55:38 pm »

"These days."

Tobacco Gestapo, going around the streets and making people smoke must be an American thing, I've never seen this happening here, the only smokers I've seen smoked voluntarily.
I live in the US, and have never seen anyone like this, making people smoke.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54473 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »

Because people are 100% always rational, always 100% informed, and are never influenced by peer pressure or advertising/cultural motifs.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #54474 on: July 20, 2014, 04:04:29 pm »

Smoking companies' attempts to get people addicted have never been exactly honest.  I'm a little behind on what they do today but I know in the past they've hired scientists to dispute claims that smoking is harmful and they do stuff like pay a lot of money to have sexy Hollywood actor's smoke in big budget movies.

Also if we keep going this is going to descend into a philosophical debate about free will, because that's what you guys are actually arguing.  To what extent is a person responsible for their own actions and all that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I live in the US, and have never seen anyone like this, making people smoke.

That's because he made up the smoking gestapo to make a point, it was a rhetorical device or whatever you want to call it.  We all know they don't exist :/  Well except LWs.  Yeah, you would have jumped on that one LW.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54475 on: July 20, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »

Philip Morris USA v. Williams.
Mayola Williams, the widow of Jesse D. Williams, who died of smoking-related lung cancer in 1997, sued Philip Morris USA, a cigarette manufacturer,[1] for fraud based on Philip Morris advertisements and sponsored studies that made cigarettes seem less dangerous than they actually were. At trial in 1999, the jury found for Williams and awarded her $821,485.50 in compensatory damages and $79.5 million in punitive damages.
The Supreme Court originally overruled the punitive damages because the trial court had considered that the misinformation campaign had reached (and so harmed) many people beyond the person suing. But the exact same damages were reinstated based on the individual evidence and the Supreme Court upheld it.

Philip Morris then argued that the share of punitive damages due to the state couldn't be paid under the terms of the Tobacco master settlement, but that was overturned and they had to pay the balance with interest.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #54476 on: July 20, 2014, 04:42:11 pm »

And this is why you can't sue in New Zealand. Because it leads to nonsense like that.

Seriously? Eighty million dollars? Because her husband died? I should get myself a husband one of these days.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54477 on: July 20, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

Hell, there's plenty of loved ones whose lives I'd sell for 8 million dollars.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #54478 on: July 20, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »

Quote from: Newest DF changelog
  • Babies don't start strapped with a knife
What's the story behind this? O_o
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54479 on: July 20, 2014, 04:51:22 pm »

And this is why you can't sue in New Zealand. Because it leads to nonsense like that.

Seriously? Eighty million dollars? Because her husband died? I should get myself a husband one of these days.
So the thing about punitive damages is, a major corporation will look at $821485.50 and say, "Eh, whatever, we'll budget for it - it's cheaper to pay out for the lawsuit than it is to do things properly."

I agree it probably shouldn't get paid to her, but that's really only half the story. Evidently, sometimes only a portion of the damages go to the plaintiff, but it sounds like in this case they all did. So, yeah, I dunno, those probably ought to be stored in some fund that helps pay for other fallout from related problems, like legal costs for other plaintiffs or medical care for victims or whatever.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 3630 3631 [3632] 3633 3634 ... 11040